• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schweezly

Reaction score
For me in regards to the 65/201 I have to size down a half size on the 201. I have a high instep so you'd think the 201 would be great and I'd get full closure but it's not the case. It may be due to the higher cone and wider heel that I need to size down to prevent heel slip. I also think the 201 is a bit less wide than the 65 but they are close

I definitely notice 2 things:

- compared to 65 last shoes I feel the toe box offers me more room on the sides. I’m between d/e in 65 and can take a D no problem

- I do notice a little heel slip. I’m guessing the super thick lug sole has something to do with this. I’m hoping it goes away as they break in. I don’t think sizing down would work for me

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something Trunk Show this way comes... Received a shipping notification last night, will be delivered today!
Flipping weasel.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LoL - I'm going to continue Wing Week when I go to the office around lunchtime, but today was the first run of the season for these puppies (which got a bit of Renovateur this morning before wearing

here’s my black PA’s with missedwelt stitching. That and the “try on” creases were why they were seconds. I was quite fine/pleased with that as seconds and on sale...
View attachment 1261032

View attachment 1261039
I think those are a great scenario as seconds.
Don’t do it, man.
You don't know him very well... ;)
I may need to look into these, not a fan of the lug sole, I would rather it be Danite, which has in my opinion similar durability, but a touch more shall I say "dressy". Though those look like something I could wear to work and beat the streets with on the weekends without worry.
I wear my similar-in-details Aldens like that a lot, and they're awesome. I'm a big fan of that McT, too. You should be able to do a sole-change if you prefer Dainite (which I never do)
For those of you out there with shoes built on the 201 last, how is the fit, and what is the closest last to it fit wise? Thinking about pulling the trigger on some McTavish now since I'm having sizing issues with the Strandmok at the moment.
Apparently some of the new Strandmoks are lined, which is going to complicate the dialogue around sizing a bit, but for me, the 5-last is consistently a half-size down and a width up from my Brannock (12D-->11.5E) across several pairs. The 201 seems to be the exact same, but with room in the cone that allows me to go with a D-width and have good closure. I find a 12 in 65 and 201 to be slippy at the heel, and still requires an E to get good closure (but the heel situation gets worse).

I will say a D in the OG unlined Strandmok fit me better than the rest of the 5-last universe (except my McTavishes, but the Dublin leather used on those apparently had them running more true-to-width), but the Olive pair I own in 11.5E with pretty good closure and really good comfort overall (only diminished by the Dainite sole):
iu0NwDa.jpg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LoL - I'm going to continue Wing Week when I go to the office around lunchtime, but today was the first run of the season for these puppies (which got a bit of Renovateur this morning before wearing

I think those are a great scenario as seconds.

You don't know him very well... ;)

I wear my similar-in-details Aldens like that a lot, and they're awesome. I'm a big fan of that McT, too. You should be able to do a sole-change if you prefer Dainite (which I never do)

Apparently some of the new Strandmoks are lined, which is going to complicate the dialogue around sizing a bit, but for me, the 5-last is consistently a half-size down and a width up from my Brannock (12D-->11.5E) across several pairs. The 201 seems to be the exact same, but with room in the cone that allows me to go with a D-width and have good closure. I find a 12 in 65 and 201 to be slippy at the heel, and still requires an E to get good closure (but the heel situation gets worse).

I will say a D in the OG unlined Strandmok fit me better than the rest of the 5-last universe (except my McTavishes, but the Dublin leather used on those apparently had them running more true-to-width), but the Olive pair I own in 11.5E with pretty good closure and really good comfort overall (only diminished by the Dainite sole):
iu0NwDa.jpg
Great look! And bonus points for the mirror lacing (the noticing of which tells me I've been here a while, lol).

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, my challenge outside AE is sizing. Being 14EEE really limits my options, and is one of several reasons why I love AE.

On another note, I had wondered where "SMU" came from. Yesterday i got a box in the mail and said " oh". ?
Yup. AE calls them Special Make Ups rather than Made To Orders.

jch1

Reaction score
A couple of us here have them on order but they haven't entered production yet.
I too ordered a pair. I'm going to try to forget about them until they just randomly show up or until I receive a shipping notification.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too ordered a pair. I'm going to try to forget about them until they just randomly show up or until I receive a shipping notification.
This is certainly the best approach. Thinking about my chili and shaved shell pairs like any alden preorder or any MTO I've had in the past with other makers. AE spoiled us with getting some things out so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads