• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rithrin

Reaction score
What shoe brushes do you guys like to use? I need to get a new brush, but I'm not sure what to get. I think I would like one of the larger/longer brushes.
Kiwi horsehair brushes on Amazon were pretty cheap and seem to be doing a lovely job.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What shoe brushes do you guys like to use? I need to get a new brush, but I'm not sure what to get. I think I would like one of the larger/longer brushes.

I'm using a new Grant Stone which does well enough and is losing its hair.

My dad had an old brush he and I used forever.
Big honkin' thing with good stiff black bristles that would beat the tar out of this one I have now and occasionally even be used to drive in a nail somewhere when needed. A duplicate of which is never to be found on the interwebs, though. I tried. Not even close.
He also had a great but still plain shoeshine box, too, made of 100% hardwood and that you could also use as a stepping stool to retrieve things, like one of the 13 identical phone books strewn on the top shelf of the coat closet where it was stored. And none of this sitting at a desk to shine shoes in a suit was required. It was the kind you just slung your shoe-clad foot over the top of and shined away before running out the door to the car where my mom would invariably already be fuming ahead of our some 45 mile three-hour bumper-to-bumper car ride to visit my cousins on Long Island for Easter Sunday (the bridge traffic was always murder).
And nowadays, the reviews I read mention how brand new shoe shine boxes arrive broken in transit or split apart while being used. Really? Ah, Progress.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Big honkin' thing with good stiff black bristles that would beat the tar out of this one I have now and occasionally even be used to drive in a nail somewhere when needed. A duplicate of which is never to be found on the interwebs, though. I tried. Not even close.
He also had a great but still plain shoeshine box, too, made of 100% hardwood and that you could also use as a stepping stool in the coat closet where it was kept. And none of this sitting at a desk to shine shoes in a suit was required. It was the kind you just slung your shoe-clad foot over the top of and shined away before running out the door to the car where my mom would invariably already be fuming ahead of our some 45 mile three-hour bumper-to-bumper car ride to see my cousins on Long Island for Easter Sunday (the bridge traffic was always murder).
And nowadays, the reviews I read mention how new shoe shine boxes arrive broken in transit or split apart once used. Really? Ah, Progress.
I bought one of those shine boxes at an estate sale last spring, had a lot of Kiwi polish that was no longer good, wound up in the trash, and 2 of the monster brushes that you speak of. Better than any of my more "modern" brushes, but the deceased owner of the box had loaded the brushes up with the Kiwi or something, so have a hard time using them, but the shine box is awesome!
tenor.gif

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

He also had a great but still plain shoeshine box, too, made of 100% hardwood and that you could also use as a stepping stool to find things on the shelf in the coat closet where it was kept. And none of this sitting at a desk to shine shoes in a suit was required. It was the kind you just slung your shoe-clad foot over the top of and shined away before running out the door to the car where my mom would invariably already be fuming ahead of our some 45 mile three-hour bumper-to-bumper car ride to see my cousins on Long Island for Easter Sunday (the bridge traffic was always murder).
And nowadays, the reviews I read mention how brand new shoe shine boxes arrive broken in transit or split apart while being used. Really? Ah, Progress.
As far as the GS brush, hair loss will stop after a while, at least it has on the couple I have. It is an irritant while happening, but one it stops, best brush I have at present (save a couple of really, really, really old ones)

Moose22

Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

I was/am.
There's a big difference between stupidity and ignorance.

Ignorance can be cured. It just means someone doesn't have experience with something, hasn't been given all the facts or the wrong facts, doesn't understand something... you can read a lot on internets forums and still be ignorant. It's hard to grasp detail without context.

OP is ignorant. He just doesn't understand, or just doesn't want to understand. And he was misled by an AE sales rep, which doesn't help. But I doubt he's stupid.

He is a jerk though.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice tie! Drakes?

Thank you! :cheers:

Believe it or not, it's a Brooks Brothers makeup from 2018 I believe! I really like it and the added heft/thickness of the wool makes for a wonderful in hand feel.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought one of those shine boxes at an estate sale last spring, had a lot of Kiwi polish that was no longer good, wound up in the trash, and 2 of the monster brushes that you speak of. Better than any of my more "modern" brushes, but the deceased owner of the box had loaded the brushes up with the Kiwi or something, so have a hard time using them, but the shine box is awesome! View attachment 1259082
That is so cool. And it's nice to have verification I wasn't just imagining their greatness out of nowhere.
If not too much trouble, would love to see a pic of both sometime!
And as for the brushes, if it's just that they're all gunked up, I wonder if Dawn dishwashing liqid or a grease solvent wouldn't help clean them up some.
Ps. Enjoy my dad's shoe box and brushes. lol.

Last edited:

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a big difference between stupidity and ignorance.

Ignorance can be cured. It just means someone doesn't have experience with something, hasn't been given all the facts or the wrong facts, doesn't understand something... you can read a lot on internets forums and still be ignorant. It's hard to grasp detail without context.

OP is ignorant. He just doesn't understand, or just doesn't want to understand. And he was misled by an AE sales rep, which doesn't help. But I doubt he's stupid.

He is a jerk though.
He was banned on the AE Facebook group twice. Using 2 aliases. Same rhetoric in his posts here. Probably best to just ignore him.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the GS brush, hair loss will stop after a while, at least it has on the couple I have. It is an irritant while happening, but one it stops, best brush I have at present (save a couple of really, really, really old ones)
Good to know, thank you.

Moose22

Reaction score
He was banned on the AE Facebook group twice. Using 2 aliases. Same rhetoric in his posts here. Probably best to just ignore him.
Ah, the plague of the 20-teens. The professional troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads