• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, those are green!? It's hard to tell from the lighting in those photos. I can see it on the tongue a little bit. I think the color of the soles looks good. However, I am now not sure what to expect on my bourbon pair as far as stitching. Some orders shipped with a lighter thread, others like yours with a brown. I hope mine is white or light tan.
In white light, they are clearly green. In more yellow light, they are closer to black.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late to post today but I walked to breakfast this morning with the Mrs. Rugby and boots for a fall morning!

IMG_20191010_070551584_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191010_070531515_HDR.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I tried on a pair of HM at the trunk show and was immediately put off by how bulbous and roomy the toe area was. Perhaps I should have looked into a smaller and/or narrower size. I'm normally an 11.5D, and that's what I asked to try.
HM's are more bulbous in the toe area than OSB's, no matter what size.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only good horseshoes are in Springfield, pork tenderloins are everywhere, could get one tonight within 3 minutes of my house at the bowling alley (and actually a good sandwich, fries are hand cut and wonderful). To get a decent horseshoe, have to drive about an hour. And for those who are wondering WTF a horseshoe is.....google it.
Looks yummy!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got back from a visit to my AE store in Oakbrook and this is the second time that I have seen the Wanderer being sold. If there is any question why AE makes some ugly stuff, there is your answer. It sells. I asked my SA about top sellers in the store and some of the top sellers are very interesting. Verona II sells better than the next three welted loafers combined. Strandmok outsells the Strand. Black PA continues to be a strong seller as a lot of guys come in just before going to a funeral or wedding and need a black dress shoe stat. A lot of those PA sales are made solely on size. You are a B width and need the shoe tonight, then the PA is your shoe. Seems like SF’s favorites do not align very well with the general public.

jch1

Reaction score
Got back from a visit to my AE store in Oakbrook and this is the second time that I have seen the Wanderer being sold. If there is any question why AE makes some ugly stuff, there is your answer. It sells. I asked my SA about top sellers in the store and some of the top sellers are very interesting. Verona II sells better than the next three welted loafers combined. Strandmok outsells the Strand. Black PA continues to be a strong seller as a lot of guys come in just before going to a funeral or wedding and need a black dress shoe stat. A lot of those PA sales are made solely on size. You are a B width and need the shoe tonight, then the PA is your shoe. Seems like SF’s favorites do not align very well with the general public.
Any idea if Priscilla is still there? She was my SA back when she was at the 120 Lasalle location.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, at least they are buying PA's and not some square-toe Target thing that pretends it's a shoe........and besides, EVERYONE should have at least one pair of black cap toe dress shoe in the closet, and the PA is among the best one can have, ever.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, at least they are buying PA's and not some square-toe Target thing that pretends it's a shoe........and besides, EVERYONE should have at least one pair of black cap toe dress shoe in the closet, and the PA is among the best one can have, ever.
You and I disagree about the need for a black cap toe. I do think it's a common one purchased, For some it may make sense though as the ONLY dress shoe they likely have. I choose a black wholecut instead.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You and I disagree about the need for a black cap toe. I do think it's a common one purchased, For some it may make sense though as the ONLY dress shoe they likely have. I choose a black wholecut instead.
A black whole cut is more formal, but a black cap toe can do formal and business (as well as weddings/funerals). I think a whole cut is even more esoteric, and thus less likely to be purchased by the average shoe buyer, whereas a black cap toe will elicit "That's a dress shoe" from even the most confirmed athletic shoe buyer. Oh, I have both in my closet........

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black whole cut is more formal, but a black cap toe can do formal and business (as well as weddings/funerals). I think a whole cut is even more esoteric, and thus less likely to be purchased by the average shoe buyer, whereas a black cap toe will elicit "That's a dress shoe" from even the most confirmed athletic shoe buyer. Oh, I have both in my closet........
True, but business rarely needs black shoes anymore--and same for funerals. Nobody really follows that anymore. PAs can work for black tie, but wholecuts do it better and with more fashion. Whoelcuts can also work for a funeral with most barely wearing any black shoes anyway--same for business, but with fashion.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Question on McTavish fit. My McTavish in dublin tan came in today. I ordered it in 13 3E, same size as the Bartlett which is on the same last. Tried them on and they feel huge. Do others have similar experiences? Not sure if I just got a pair that is bigger or this is the typical fit.

I love the shoe, but it only shows available in D or 3E. I'd try another width but doesn't seem to be an option.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True, but business rarely needs black shoes anymore--and same for funerals. Nobody really follows that anymore. PAs can work for black tie, but wholecuts do it better and with more fashion. Whoelcuts can also work for a funeral with most barely wearing any black shoes anyway--same for business, but with fashion.
And I'm 66 yrs old, so my concept of business shoes may be different, but what the hell, I still think everyone should have a pair of PA's, black or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads