• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Ashley,
If you happen to have a pair on hand, have you handled the grain leather on these? Wondering if its soft and pliable or more of a tougher, firm style. I've had both from AE prior and am not too near a store to try them out

A friend of mine is also curious about this. :hide:

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ae_ashley
It'a a good idea to have the limited runs from time to time especially a few during a sale like now. I hadn't planned on getting anything but I probably will now.

Now instead of the tan grain on the Patton had you done football leather I bet you would have had some nice sales numbers.

pedarius

Reaction score
824FD994-F26C-4F6D-A7F5-B46367DF3966.jpeg

Patriots. I’m just not very good at remembering Wingtip Wednesday. Sigh.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1255796
Patriots. I’m just not very good at remembering Wingtip Wednesday. Sigh.
Patriots trump wings.
My contribution for Wingtip Wednesday (Burgundy Shell Cordovan Dalton's) and ugly office carpet. These are quite dull in comparison to other's. How do I bring out the luster? Will extended brushing help?
View attachment 1255797
Give 'em a decent brushing. Honestly a minute each is plenty. At that point, grab a synthetic athletic shirt or hosiery and buff the crap out of them. If that didn't do it, then consider some VSC or Collonil or similar clear cordovan cream polish. (Burg cream if you want to punch up the color).
That said, many of these super high shines are hero shots, and in less ideal conditions don't look as glossy and vibrant. Some shell also doesn't have as much sheen; some examples just aren't quite as smooth. Deer bone/spoon might help a bit in that regard. Yours actually seem to be pretty good, considering the less optimal conditions.

If you want a REALLY glossy finish, you can always apply a layer of acrylic like Alden does! (I personally wouldn't go this route, but it has been done. So has using wax polish on shell)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no idea if anyone here is interested in belts to match their TS shoes and boots, I have found out that Ealdwine in Raleigh has shell in the matching colors to AE TS, available for belts. I am not employed by Ealdwine, get no compensation, but thought I'd pass it along (and I didn't even buy any TS AE this go around). I guess one would contact Ealdwine to get a belt made.
Image-8.jpeg

lemmy127

Reaction score
Second opinions on these brown shell Patriot seconds?

Both shoes have crooked moc stitching (left's is far more obvious) and the right shoe has scraps along the moc stitch and three small gouges in the front. I'm fairly confident that some wax polish would eliminate the scraps and gouges, but I don't know if those would impact their longevity of the shoes. Also not sure about how noticeable the crooked stitching would be to other people. What doesn't help matters in my decision-making is that only one other pair of seconds exists in brown, and no firsts are available (at least on the website).

Patriot Seconds 1.jpg Patriot Seconds 2.jpg Patriot Seconds 3.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Both shoes have crooked moc stitching (left's is far more obvious) and the right shoe has scraps along the moc stitch and three small gouges in the front. I'm fairly confident that some wax polish would eliminate the scraps and gouges, but I don't know if those would impact their longevity of the shoes. Also not sure about how noticeable the crooked stitching would be to other people. What doesn't help matters in my decision-making is that only one other pair of seconds exists in brown, and no firsts are available (at least on the website).

View attachment 1255848 View attachment 1255849 View attachment 1255850
Personally, the stitching wouldn't bother me, but the scapes on the toe.......Guess that's why they were 2nd's. If the price was agreeable, then try to cover with polish and carry on.....Just my 2 cents worth.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natural shell Macneil LWB's from first shell Trunk Show, circa 2014...
20191009_161831.jpg

20191009_161838.jpg

20191009_162414.jpg

Shell cordovan watch strap that matches pretty damn closely.
20191009_162048.jpg

20191009_162017.jpg

20191009_163502.jpg

Watch appears dirtier in photos than in person, btw.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I'd return those. The scrapes or cuts on the toe look problematic. The apron is also not ideal and I doubt it can be fixed.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would send them back, but I'm picky that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics