• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes that's what I did I bought gel heel pads and it solves the issue

I also bought a sock with a protective gel inside that protects the ankle bone, it gives extra protection just in case, annoying having to wear all these just to wear shoes comfortably but such is life

81Om1DqJIhL._SL1500_.jpg
Ahhh. Sorry, I missed that the gel is in pad form. And now that I know you are also wearing an ankle protector, I understand your annoyance. Cumbersome at best. What size and styles do you wear that are giving you trouble and is the fit ok everywhere else? Also, do other AE styles affect you the same way? A pic of you wearing them would be interesting to see. Assuming these are dress shoes, I am not familiar if any AE oxfords or balmorals have lower collars so unfortunately I can't make an alternate suggestion. Surely some SA's have come across this with some of their customers and may be worth asking for a style suggestion.

As for me, with a wide foot and high instep, I welcome deep-collared shoes, because I use all the volume. One thing I noticed, first from pictures and then side-by-side, is my vintage Florsheim 93602 LWB has a shallower collar than my two AE MacNeils, and I prefer the latter but are working ok. I'll post pics later.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, wouldn't an assortment of football grain models make a great webgem after the Trunk Show folds up the tent?
FG Patriot
FG Dundee
FG Mac

You could even offer an FG Voyager, just to ensure brisk sales!

Suede Show and March Madness Neumoks were all but confirmed for early next year.

Rufian

Reaction score
Ahhh. Sorry, I missed that the gel is in pad form. And now that I know you are also wearing an ankle protector, I understand your annoyance. Cumbersome at best. What size and styles do you wear that are giving you trouble and is the fit ok everywhere else? Also, do other AE styles affect you the same way? A pic of you wearing them would be interesting to see. Assuming these are dress shoes, I am not familiar if any AE oxfords or balmorals have lower collars so unfortunately I can't make an alternate suggestion. Surely some SA's have come across this with some of their customers and may be worth asking for a style suggestion.

As for me, with a wide foot and high instep, I welcome deep-collared shoes, because I use all the volume. One thing I noticed, first from pictures and then side-by-side, is my vintage Florsheim 93602 LWB has a shallower collar than my two AE MacNeils, and I prefer the latter but are working ok. I'll post pics later.

I have only tried the Park Avenue 65 last. I think is my anatomy as years ago I had Calvin Klein and they also rubbed. My feet have normal arch but my instep a little higher than average, but I don't think that's the problem

ptfly

Reaction score
After trying the mcneil in my size today I put my second order in. It was tough to pick between green and bourbon but I went with green.
Now the waiting begins.
My first time with the mcneil on my foot and I like it. Now that I know it fits maybe I should order a calf version to get me through the wait :)

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously? suede show? I missed that, but terrific!

Henry offered a lot of insight. Suffice it to say we enthusiasts weren't the only ones concerned about the possible future of AE when Caleres stepped in. We enthusiasts also aren't the only ones breathing a MASSIVE sigh of relief to see what's been happening the last 8-10 months or so. There has been a call for SAs to constantly be seeking feedback, ideas, and "wants/needs" from customers and send that info up. "Suede trunk show" hasn't been tossed around at City Center by *JUST* SF thread members either. He said they're trying to do something early next CY on that front, but obviously a lot still up in the air on it.

As to the MM Neumoks, Henry and one of the other SAs there both mentioned it at different times independent of each other, so I think we've got decent reliability for the info.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Henry offered a lot of insight. Suffice it to say we enthusiasts weren't the only ones concerned about the possible future of AE when Caleres stepped in. We enthusiasts also aren't the only ones breathing a MASSIVE sigh of relief to see what's been happening the last 8-10 months or so. There has been a call for SAs to constantly be seeking feedback, ideas, and "wants/needs" from customers and send that info up. "Suede trunk show" hasn't been tossed around at City Center by *JUST* SF thread members either. He said they're trying to do something early next CY on that front, but obviously a lot still up in the air on it.

As to the MM Neumoks, Henry and one of the other SAs there both mentioned it at different times independent of each other, so I think we've got decent reliability for the info.
They better keep it 65 last! I can’t wear a 201 Neumok!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do we know this? And what is a voyager?
Edit: oh, that Voyager!
When I purchased my TS pair, I noticed two gentlemen come in with really worn out Voyager shoes. They browsed and tried on some things like the Wanderer, Cyrus Blucher and Wilbert. Both men ended up getting another Voyager. My SA said that the shoe sells pretty well. For the last couple of months I have sorted all shoes by best sellers and Voyager comes up before the MacNeil. My SA also told me that once her customers retire a lot of them go to the Wilbert and never buy any more dress shoes.

DawgPound

Reaction score
I did a first for me and picked up some used shell Leeds. After receiving, I noticed the previous owner put some sort of glaze or lacquer over the out soles, which also got over the bottom part of the upper all around, and the finish was flaking. Plus, they were supposed to be burgundy and they looked pretty dark to me. The upper cordovan was not cracked or scratched up, so, after deep breath decided to try to make something of it. Used a lot of rubbing alcohol and acetone over the shoes to remove the poor finish. Tried it on the sole edges, and it was way too thick. Let them sit overnight, then put on 2-3 layers of Bick 4 and let them sit longer (they soaked it up). Then, grabbed some sandpaper (80, 120, then 220) had some brain downtime and just went to town on the edges. Did a couple coats of shellac with some sanding in between. I was planning on redoing the sole edges black per original, but liked the more natural edge on them. Then, put on a couple coats of VSC. Not perfect, but plenty good enough for a nice beater pair...I’m happy with the result. Too bad I didn’t take some photos at the start.

Attachments

• B61F0197-861F-4785-B032-AC79D20AF64B.jpeg
    B61F0197-861F-4785-B032-AC79D20AF64B.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 0C3E4613-92F7-4BFE-9052-4E069B5433CB.jpeg
    0C3E4613-92F7-4BFE-9052-4E069B5433CB.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 25
  • FDC8C7E6-3F12-4EFC-8860-54A30215EA16.jpeg
    FDC8C7E6-3F12-4EFC-8860-54A30215EA16.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 61911995-E0DC-49E6-955E-33EBA45EBEE8.jpeg
    61911995-E0DC-49E6-955E-33EBA45EBEE8.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 21
  • D7D8DFFD-17DD-49B5-AF7A-2D8DA837CAA1.jpeg
    D7D8DFFD-17DD-49B5-AF7A-2D8DA837CAA1.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 21
  • C9DB7DEE-4A80-46EB-B292-89D833FB7244.jpeg
    C9DB7DEE-4A80-46EB-B292-89D833FB7244.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 15A5997A-CA53-4BDB-AA92-65D51B48BA42.jpeg
    15A5997A-CA53-4BDB-AA92-65D51B48BA42.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 26

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA:

Jason informed me that there were a lot of walnut University shoes that magically appeared in sizes 8 D and 8.5 D. $97 for FIRST quality, 1943 last version. Of course, this was a must buy. I almost ordered 2 pair, but I figured I should take it easy, and one is enough for everyone, right? Where they came from? Who knows. My walnut University search has ended. :)

Edit: There might be other sizes available as well. Contact them!

Which store is this?

nmh20

Reaction score
I know Strandmoks are known for being slightly more generous than Strands. Do you think the same would hold for a cordovan strand w/ a reverse welt? Would like to have a pretty casual Strand (chili shell, reverse welt, buff edge, red dainite) but want to be able to wear thicker socks so hoping the reverse welt helps me a little.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Strandmoks are known for being slightly more generous than Strands. Do you think the same would hold for a cordovan strand w/ a reverse welt? Would like to have a pretty casual Strand (chili shell, reverse welt, buff edge, red dainite) but want to be able to wear thicker socks so hoping the reverse welt helps me a little.

Probably not, unfortunately. Not sure reverse vs flat has much of an impact on the overall shoe fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics