• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufian

Reaction score
It can be a thing if you have protruding ankle bones. And some lasts run deeper than others. With the 65, mine come close to rubbing with the top binding of the collar, and coincidentally especially the left. No real problems though that would call for a remedy. Ski boots, now that's a different story as by the end of a full day skiing, they're like wearing two bear traps for me. And why I prefer golf. lol.

If your situation is the same with shoes, perhaps an insert of some kind may lift them enough above the collar to avoid the rubbing. As it stands, sounds like you found a remedy, and albeit homemade, don't feel bad as from what I've been reading there are many little tweaks made to accommodate shoes to feet by members here.

yes that's what I did I bought gel heel pads and it solves the issue

I also bought a sock with a protective gel inside that protects the ankle bone, it gives extra protection just in case, annoying having to wear all these just to wear shoes comfortably but such is life

81Om1DqJIhL._SL1500_.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ProfilaBinding I have Brown Fifth Streets coming and Bourbon Daltons. Where is this spreadsheet? I can add mine to it.

Went with flat welt on the Daltons, second guessing myself if I should have went with storm welt.

I personally think you made the right choice, but there's no right or wrong answer with the welt in your situation. I'm just not a big fan of the reverse welt.

How many people have had these shoes especially 65 last rub your ankle bone?

I bought two shoes, both hit my left ankle bone, the second shoe I ordered recently didn't rub as much but still, I decided to keep them because if I put some thin gel heel pads, the problem is solved, that's all fine and dandy, but it shouldn't be like that.

I haven't broken them in yet.

Why do these shoes always have problems like this or is my anatomy. People say is leather needs to be broken, if that's the case then why is always my left ankle bone and not the right one? Not sure if is an anatomy issue or the shoes.

I think is anatomy as I owned cheap calvin klein dress shoes and the same happened but in both ankle bones.

How annoying you spend hundreds, get excited only for the shoes to cause pain? and you have to resort to ghetto modifications just to be comfortable, shouldn't be like that

I've had this problem a few times, but only when I went up 1/2 size from my usual size. I have a PA where I feel this a little bit, and I used to have a Leeds where I felt this a lot (I later sold it). I'll add that it took me a long time to break in my Higgins at the ankle area because I have big boney ankles.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many people have had these shoes especially 65 last rub your ankle bone?

I bought two shoes, both hit my left ankle bone, the second shoe I ordered recently didn't rub as much but still, I decided to keep them because if I put some thin gel heel pads, the problem is solved, that's all fine and dandy, but it shouldn't be like that.

I haven't broken them in yet.

Why do these shoes always have problems like this or is my anatomy. People say is leather needs to be broken, if that's the case then why is always my left ankle bone and not the right one? Not sure if is an anatomy issue or the shoes.

I think is anatomy as I owned cheap calvin klein dress shoes and the same happened but in both ankle bones.

How annoying you spend hundreds, get excited only for the shoes to cause pain? and you have to resort to ghetto modifications just to be comfortable, shouldn't be like that

Just happened to check on this forum (man does this thread move fast, I haven't checked in for a week and I'm lost already, lol) but seeing this question made me think a little bit so I figured I'd give my own experience.

So my current "rotation" (almost laughable to use that term) consists of 98 pairs of AE, 1 cowboy boot, 1 Redwing Beckman and an Alden Indy.

Of all that -
1. The Brisbane & Cheetah both rubbed up my ankle bone a lot on the first full day's wear. Enough that there was blood and blistering. Second pair (and onward), practically nothing. The heelcups on those are just very full, and my heels are very narrow.

2. Zero ankle rubbing on any of my 3 Higgins Mills (all CXL), zero on the Rainier, zero on everything I can think of with the exception of the Normandy. That gave me some ankle trouble. It still comes and goes. Very minor though.

3. There's enough I dislike about the 65 that I pretty much steer clear of it as best I can but also zero ankle issues there.

4. The mac-daddy of everything...and that is the Redwing Beckman. For maybe the first 30 or so wears, the ankle pain was out of this world, almost as if someone was actively hitting my ankles with a steel hammer every step I took. No idea how I made it through the break-in on this thing, but now it's basically non-existent.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to break the bad news but it looks like the Voyager is a better seller than the MacNeil. Hurts just a little bit.
:puzzled: life makes a little less sense now than when I woke up this morning.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, if you were hypothetically invited to a hypothetical tour of the hypothetial West hypothetical Wing of the alleged White House....

Broadstreet (walnut/bone), Strand (walnut), Bourbon Dalton, or Olive Strandmok?

The answer is Olive Strandmok. And RUMINT is the oval thingamajig has been under renovation and possibly done. so you know.

The horse is definitely NOT going. Even I know my limits. :hide:
I would have gone Broadstreet and horse mask.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, off to see Notre Dame beat UGA in Horween football grain Patriots.

View attachment 1245157

View attachment 1245155
Full disclosure - older photo but this is what I'm wearing today.
Speaking of which, wouldn't an assortment of football grain models make a great webgem after the Trunk Show folds up the tent?
FG Patriot
FG Dundee
FG Mac

You could even offer an FG Voyager, just to ensure brisk sales!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA:

Jason informed me that there were a lot of walnut University shoes that magically appeared in sizes 8 D and 8.5 D. $97 for FIRST quality, 1943 last version. Of course, this was a must buy. I almost ordered 2 pair, but I figured I should take it easy, and one is enough for everyone, right? Where they came from? Who knows. My walnut University search has ended. :)

Edit: There might be other sizes available as well. Contact them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads