• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lcdx22

Reaction score
You have two options that were explored miles back for a slightly different task:
-Purchase buff and then use edge dressing to darken both edge and welt to antique/chili. Painters tape recommended if you don't have an extremely steady hand. Probably good even if you do!
-Purchase trans brown, use dremel/hand sander/manually sand down edges and use chili edge dressing on edge only. Welt is already brown and close enough. This is probably easier for people concerned about damaging the upper.
@FatTuesday has mentioned his process a couple times over the years; here's the most recent.

I've done it to multiple shoes, including lightening a welt on a pair of Aldens. That is not for the faint of heart, so I don't recommend that particular endeavor.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of doing this exact thing. I am just a bit worried about messing with the storm welt. Probably a bit trickier than a flat welt.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many people have had these shoes especially 65 last rub your ankle bone?

I bought two shoes, both hit my left ankle bone, the second shoe I ordered recently didn't rub as much but still, I decided to keep them because if I put some thin gel heel pads, the problem is solved, that's all fine and dandy, but it shouldn't be like that.

I haven't broken them in yet.

Why do these shoes always have problems like this or is my anatomy. People say is leather needs to be broken, if that's the case then why is always my left ankle bone and not the right one? Not sure if is an anatomy issue or the shoes.

I think is anatomy as I owned cheap calvin klein dress shoes and the same happened but in both ankle bones.

How annoying you spend hundreds, get excited only for the shoes to cause pain? and you have to resort to ghetto modifications just to be comfortable, shouldn't be like that
It can be a thing if you have protruding ankle bones. And some lasts run deeper than others. With the 65, mine come close to rubbing with the top binding of the collar, and coincidentally especially the left. No real problems though that would call for a remedy. Ski boots, now that's a different story as by the end of a full day skiing, they're like wearing two bear traps for me. And why I prefer golf. lol.

If your situation is the same with shoes, perhaps an insert of some kind may lift them enough above the collar to avoid the rubbing. As it stands, sounds like you found a remedy, and albeit homemade, don't feel bad as from what I've been reading there are many little tweaks made to accommodate shoes to feet by members here.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
246654.jpg

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, if you were hypothetically invited to a hypothetical tour of the hypothetial West hypothetical Wing of the alleged White House....

Broadstreet (walnut/bone), Strand (walnut), Bourbon Dalton, or Olive Strandmok?

The answer is Olive Strandmok. And RUMINT is the oval thingamajig has been under renovation and possibly done. so you know.

The horse is definitely NOT going. Even I know my limits. :hide:
Dude! Answer is blood soaked Sturgis.

'Murica!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly my friend Roger is now retired from the USSS and so dropping the name of a FORMER presidential personal detail leader doesn't really hold as much weight as dropping the name of a CURRENT one. I therefore feel this may be a futile effort and opt to stay solo on the trip. :hide:
Emotional Support Ferret.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many people have had these shoes especially 65 last rub your ankle bone?

I bought two shoes, both hit my left ankle bone, the second shoe I ordered recently didn't rub as much but still, I decided to keep them because if I put some thin gel heel pads, the problem is solved, that's all fine and dandy, but it shouldn't be like that.

I haven't broken them in yet.

Why do these shoes always have problems like this or is my anatomy. People say is leather needs to be broken, if that's the case then why is always my left ankle bone and not the right one? Not sure if is an anatomy issue or the shoes.

I think is anatomy as I owned cheap calvin klein dress shoes and the same happened but in both ankle bones.

How annoying you spend hundreds, get excited only for the shoes to cause pain? and you have to resort to ghetto modifications just to be comfortable, shouldn't be like that
Unfortunately, I think it may be an anatomy cause since you say you have had the issue with other brands as well. It is feasible that it may discontinue after a period of wear, but if it is a pretty drastic pain, I probably wouldn't bank on it. If the thin gel heelpad works, I say roll with it! Alternatively, perhaps try some boots instead of shoes?

lcdx22

Reaction score
Brown shell Park Avenue is just sublime.

I dig the burgundy and the shade on those; almost looks cherry.

Yeah this burgundy pair looks more cherry than any of my other AE pairs. The rest are pretty dark. And my Aldens pull more eggplant. I feel like I like the color of these PAs the best.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@armedferret Yeah, it's no Kim K adult content, but it's a start...

But i dont need a comeback story yet. :hide:

And those who dont get that joke need to look up Parks and Rec Kim Kardashian on youtube.

Adult humour tho.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hate to break the bad news but it looks like the Voyager is a better seller than the MacNeil. Hurts just a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads