• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pulled my MD Chukkas out and am giving one pair to my son, other is going back into storage as maybe next summer I will decide I like chukka's. @savvysartorial - there were cases of defective AE Chukkas, MD wanted a restock fee to take them back and/or refused to do anything. CS when MD was very good, Drop not so good. But that is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@smfdoc to the rescue? HE can demonstrate the differences between a variety of long wing patterns.

I will certainly get you a picture in a few hours.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulled my MD Chukkas out and am giving one pair to my son, other is going back into storage as maybe next summer I will decide I like chukka's. @savvysartorial - there were cases of defective AE Chukkas, MD wanted a restock fee to take them back and/or refused to do anything. CS when MD was very good, Drop not so good. But that is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Thank you. I thought I had heard/remembered that from a while back.

Rithrin

Reaction score
In my opinion burgundy Fifth Streets on a flat welt and leather soles would be fine with all but the most formal suits.
I have several #8 shell derby boots that skew a bit more casual. Trying to avoid too much duplication, or I would be very interested in the burgundy or chili. As I look at my collection and the holes I would like to fill, I am leaning toward a brown pair of Fifth Streets on flat welt with translucent edge, double JR soles for the same purpose as you.
I would love a Leeds or Dundee in Navy, but just can’t seem the get the 511 last to work for me.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking as well regarding the Burgundy Fifth Streets.

Brown ones sound great for your purposes. I'm avoiding brown for the same reason: avoiding duplication!

511 didn't sit right with me, either.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much are these puppies?

And I'll echo @EZB. Why do people hate "Massdrop", now DROP? Wasn't there some funny business regarding one of their drops and seconds quality shoes not being accepted for returns?
They're $250. Amazing price for an excellent shoe. They've been called leather slippers. Definitely grab a pair if you can. You will not be disappointed with them as a travel shoe or even for banging around town. I prefer the pattern to the Dundee myself, plus unlined suede and single butyl sole! These always end up looking sleeker than the Dundee as well, despite being on the same last.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I see what you mean now. Pointy in relation to the Alden. Here are two toe-to-toe (sorry, had to) comparisons of my burgundy MacNeil (headed soon for recraft) and Florsheim Imperial 93602 ca. '78 or '88. As you can see, comparitively, the MacNeil appears "wide and squatty". And just imagine that Florsheim next to your Alden. Vastly different still! Counter to what I used to think, nope, all LWB's are not alike.
I am noticing now, too, the toe on my brand new MacNeil in oxblood, also 10.5 3E, is not as flat or wide as the well-worn burgundy. So perhaps heavy wear and/or a bit of sideways stretch caused that to happen? Will be interesting to see how it comes back after recraft- taller and more streamlined, I am now thinking. That is assuming they were both built on the same last. If not then maybe they each were just built differently.
@smfdoc to the rescue? HE can demonstrate the differences between a variety of long wing patterns.

These represent the four brands I have. From left to right: AE, Mason, Alden, Florsheim. The second picture is just AE and Alden.

FCDBE231-AD94-4157-BF03-3B91A16FE80C.jpeg
6D9BBF5A-1606-403B-9964-31B547E16A03.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! That's what I was thinking as well regarding the Burgundy Fifth Streets.

Brown ones sound great for your purposes. I'm avoiding brown for the same reason: avoiding duplication!

511 didn't sit right with me, either.
Brown Fifth Sts are boss. I paid full price plus the MTO charge for my pair. Getting them for $695 is highway robbery.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my navys that thankfully a very savvy cobbler fixed, but MD was unwilling to do anything other than allow me to return them for a 15% refund.

Yes, you read that correctly.

My unfettered opinion on drop would involve language to make the most hardened GWOT participant blush.

Wow. I can see how CS can go very wrong with defects. That's what purchasing through a strong credit card company can assist with. A chargeback with "product not delivered as advertised" can be powerful.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bumping one more time to clean out my closet and free up some funds:

Selling my burgundy shell MacNeil (now a ravello shade) - 11D
burgundy shell Leeds (worn less than 5 times) - 11D
1776 (worn twice) - 12D

PM me. Thanks!

Also parting with Nomads in Bone and Navy suede (10.5D).

Thanks

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're $250. Amazing price for an excellent shoe. They've been called leather slippers. Definitely grab a pair if you can. You will not be disappointed with them as a travel shoe or even for banging around town. I prefer the pattern to the Dundee myself, plus unlined suede and single butyl sole! These always end up looking sleeker than the Dundee as well, despite being on the same last.

I like the flat welt (always do) as well. It's still the 511 last? I will have to seriously consider it....

EDIT: It's a split reverse welt, not a flat welt :( I really wish it was flat.

Hino

Reaction score
Man, I've always wanted a pair of those MD Chukkas. But after hearing the customer service regarding the shoes, I am a little bit worried. I am assuming that if there is an issue and Drop refuses to help, AE wouldn't offer any assistance on it, right?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the flat welt (always do) as well. It's still the 511 last? I will have to seriously consider it....

EDIT: It's a split reverse welt, not a flat welt :( I really wish it was flat.
You don't want a flat welt on these. :D
Man, I've always wanted a pair of those MD Chukkas. But after hearing the customer service regarding the shoes, I am a little bit worried. I am assuming that if there is an issue and Drop refuses to help, AE wouldn't offer any assistance on it, right?
Just order with a credit card, but no, AE can't really help you on this one.

Hino

Reaction score
You don't want a flat welt on these. :D

Just order with a credit card, but no, AE can't really help you on this one.

Sounds good. I've sat on the sidelines for a while and will probably end up pulling the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads