• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignore the poor quality of the shell and the water spots. Got caught in a rain shower last time I wore them...they did not get significantly wet. Got these PA's on the 2018 December sale and they have 10 wears at most. How do we feel about the sole separation? AE problem or Shoonoob problem?
View attachment 1242555
AE problem.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was going to agree with you because last wear was a couple miles of walking in Chicago. Upon closer inspection the welt has no dings and what looked like the uppers separating was just the tops of the welt stitching picking up highlights. The whole side of the sole wants to split. Prehaps a bad glue job prior to stitching?
View attachment 1242800 View attachment 1242801
I haven't been happy with these shoes from the jump. Should have returned them. C'est la vie
AE problem.
This is one that you need to send in for evaluation. AE does a good job of logging issues and getting to the root of the issue. I bet the people at the factory would take one look and think, yeah that was a October or November 2018 shoe all right.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one that you need to send in for evaluation. AE does a good job of logging issues and getting to the root of the issue. I bet the people at the factory would take one look and think, yeah that was a October or November 2018 shoe all right.
My thoughts about the shell sale at the end of 2018. They wanted to quickly increase shell production to evaluate their people and decide who was making shoes for TS2019.1
Whomever made my PAs did not make the cut for TS production.
Next time I'm going to be near a store I will bring them in for an eval.

kono144

Reaction score
The First Ave is pretty stunning I know.. I feel you. These stores can be awful in terms of in-stock inventory but 11 or 11.5 should be doable. For something with no going back at that price, I'd do this (if possible):
1. Try any and all of the Independence shoes you can get your hands on and use those to dial in on length. Try (hard) to gauge the instep. Is it not bad, too loose, too tight. If it's too loose, the First Ave would be a hard pass. If it's not bad or tight, I would try to decide how tight, as the First Ave will be considerably looser at the instep being a blucher pattern.

2. If possible, try the McTavish in both the suede and leather to see what kind of difference the material makes for the fit. Also compare against the Independence stuff.

3. Finally, I might try the Stirling if they had it just to get the additional data point.
Ordered 11D and 11.5D from independence line and 11.5 Mctavish. The 11.5 were to long. 11 fit just right in length and width. But both 11 and 11.5s where too tight above
The First Ave is pretty stunning I know.. I feel you. These stores can be awful in terms of in-stock inventory but 11 or 11.5 should be doable. For something with no going back at that price, I'd do this (if possible):
1. Try any and all of the Independence shoes you can get your hands on and use those to dial in on length. Try (hard) to gauge the instep. Is it not bad, too loose, too tight. If it's too loose, the First Ave would be a hard pass. If it's not bad or tight, I would try to decide how tight, as the First Ave will be considerably looser at the instep being a blucher pattern.

2. If possible, try the McTavish in both the suede and leather to see what kind of difference the material makes for the fit. Also compare against the Independence stuff.

3. Finally, I might try the Stirling if they had it just to get the additional data point.
Ordered 11D and 11.5D from independence line. Also ordered 11.5D Mctavish. The 11.5s where too long. The 11s fit perfectly for width and length. But both the 11.5s and 11s where too tight on the top near back of the toes. I would not buy these shoes because. It wasn’t so snug that is hurt but it was uncomfortable.
I think I will be good for FAs with the higher instep. I plan to try 11D Mctavish at the store. Thoughts?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non AE this evening
IMG_8357.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore mine this last Saturday. I was considering selling them because I never wear them, but then I discovered that changing the sole edge make them more interesting.

g9kBsXeO
I love my suede strands—I have loden and taupe. They are great for travel to Seattle now

Kevin24

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I was wondering how the Leed's 2.0 blucher (brown pebble grain with dainite soles) compares to say similar models by Alden, Cheaney, Carmina etc?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good Evening,

I was wondering how the Leed's 2.0 blucher (brown pebble grain with dainite soles) compares to say similar models by Alden, Cheaney, Carmina etc?
What points are you concerned about? There's a lot of different parameters that one can find desirable solutions from different sources.
Are you looking for a classic shape or sleeker shape?
Are you looking for a heavy, solid shoe or a lightweight one?
Are you looking at it for bad weather?
Are you looking at it for value per dollar?
Are you looking at it for pure craftsmanship?
Are you looking at it for the most comfortable? What's your foot shape in that case?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Evening,

All else being equal, it comes down to fit. (And let’s face it, with PTBs, they are all pretty much equal.)

I think that the Leeds has a nice shape, and I love the pebble grain. If you can get a good fit in the 511, go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads