• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny - I think of the HM as exactly that .

Also, Alden's traditional approach to toe-stitching puzzles me a bit. Most CXL and calf looks fantastic with the hand-stitching. Shell looks really good too, but I think shell with machine stitching is eons better than calf/CXL with machine stitching.

My understanding is they only have a handful people who can execute the hand-stitching now, and only one or two can do the NST-style stitching, so the output is fairly limited...

I see that you, @madhat and I all agree about machine stitch on that Indy boot.

Plus the fact that it really gums up the works to do hand stitch on everything now.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As requested last evening, Dundees:
from left - black shell, brown shell, football grain x BB, burgundy shell, natural shell, blue shell.

20190915_114332.jpg

Blue shell from TS 2019.1 has transparent brown edging - default for that TS.
20190915_111130.jpg

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of shoes seldom seen posted on this thread, wearing the shoes most recently known as Clifords today.

This pair dates from the era when the removable orthotic insoles had the words "Corporate Casuals" stamped on them.

IMG_2273.jpeg

Sorry I wasn't able to go to the Trunk Show in Costa Mesa on Friday evening. A member of this group offered to drive me but I was worried about getting back to where I am currently staying in the San Fernando Valley too late.

Had experimented a few weeks earlier with both staying up later than I usually do and with riding on the Red and Orange Lines late at night a few weeks earlier.

Although riding on the Red and Orange Lines around midnight was no stranger than in the daytime (except there were far more police everywhere) ended up falling asleep in a chair the next day (probably from staying up too late) and falling out of the chair making a bloody mess out of the side of my head.

While on the subject of Trunk Shows, wonder if more people would go if the Trunk Shows were held on Saturday afternoons rather than Friday nights.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olive chinos and olive suede Acheson for this morning to bust up the trunk show shell madness!

IMG_20190915_084714529_HDR.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As requested last evening, Dundees:
from left - black shell, brown shell, football grain x BB, burgundy shell, natural shell, blue shell.

View attachment 1241344

Blue shell from TS 2019.1 has transparent brown edging - default for that TS.
View attachment 1241345

Beauties!
Do the Natties have Buff edges? Wondering how the buff would look on Shaved and on Chilly?

The trans brown will work great for both, just wondering if Buff would be a nice option as well

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the natty shell Dundees have buff edges...

View attachment 1241385

View attachment 1241386

Older photos
Chili is darker than the Natty. Would a buff edge on a chili Dundee or Leeds be too contrast-y?

The buff might look pretty good on the lighter bourbon Mac, especially if they’ve gone light on the dark burnishing.

Hmmm sometimes choices are a bad thing.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chili is darker than the Natty. Would a buff edge on a chili Dundee or Leeds be too contrast-y?

The buff might look pretty good on the lighter bourbon Mac, especially if they’ve gone light on the dark burnishing.

Hmmm sometimes choices are a bad thing.
Let your own personal taste and style be your guide.

Screenshot_20190915-133427_Chrome.jpg

I've seen some great make-ups with dark uppers and natural edging, from Trickers especially.

20190814_103811.jpg

Cole 01.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although riding on the Red and Orange Lines around midnight was no stranger than in the daytime (except there were far more police everywhere) ended up falling asleep in a chair the next day (probably from staying up too late) and falling out of the chair making a bloody mess out of the side of my head.

Dang! Take care of yourself. We need you around and you would just look silly sitting at tea wearing a helmet.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads