• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeliany

Reaction score
Brown would be the most versatile but you can get brown anywhere get Navy or Green.
Yeah, I want a Shell Brown MacNeil and Strand, but I agree: Navy & Green unfortunately take priority. And Chili too.

Looks like everyone is grabbing a pair of chili Strands! Probably thanks to @ae_ashley and her pictures of that amazing finished pair.

Here's the list so far. This thread had over 70 purchases earlier this year. I'm wondering if we'll be able to hit or surpass that number this time around?
That Chili Strand sample pic sold a lot of shoes. $$$$.

Here are a color spectrum for your consideration. Top image, left to right, navy, bourbon, burgundy, brown & natty.

View attachment 1238962
Goddamn.

We aren't doing another shell show for at least a year. We're focusing on other goodies in the meantime. So we're going to turn this up a notch and go out with a bang for 2019. Get it while it's good, gentlemen.
I'm sure I'm not alone: already looking forward what's to come.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh so beautiful. I pulled these off my bench today. I think I'm going to leave the dark sole on these alone and just strip the Cambridge sole. The black edge stuff takes a while to buff off.

I'm struggling to choose between green and chili Strands. I figure chili would be easier to pair more often, but I think green is cooler.

View attachment 1235037
Chili.

30D4A8D9-91A4-4B37-AB98-E650BB05515E.jpeg

C58EBDF9-2475-4253-914A-F5DA99BAD36F.jpeg

Greetings fellow enthusiasts. From yesterday. Haven’t worn these in a while. J Crew chinos, Lands’ End linen shirt, AE Central Ave belt and AE x Brooks Brothers snuff Neumoks. Hope you’re having a great week.

I’d love to say I’m buying a sweet pair of chili and/or bourbon something, but I’ve been very sloppy with my slush fund money this summer. I’d love to see that chili shell in person as the photos I’ve seen look pretty interesting. I’d better stay tuned for all of the stunning creations that will no doubt result from this trunk show.

Reaction score
Hello, just registered to post for this thread. I'm definitely excited for the trunk show, and I will be at Madison Ave. once I get off work for the day. Thinking Strand in Antique Cherry (if available) or Chili, double JR, split-reverse welt, and translucent edge. If anyone has suggestions otherwise, please let me know, though I will be going for shoes, not boots.

For information, this will be my first shell cordovan shoe, but my third pair of AEs My prior pairs included a brown Cornell (the front of the upper's appearing shaved, so they're gone once I get my TS pair) and a black pair of Warwicks, which I will pick up from stretching (9EEE is narrow, so I'm glad I went to double-check my size last week; 9.5EEE for me) when I put my TS order in.

Anyways, good luck with your orders, and I hope to see some of you on the 20th.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, just registered to post for this thread. I'm definitely excited for the trunk show, and I will be at Madison Ave. once I get off work for the day. Thinking Strand in Antique Cherry (if available) or Chili, double JR, split-reverse welt, and translucent edge. If anyone has suggestions otherwise, please let me know, though I will be going for shoes, not boots.

For information, this will be my first shell cordovan shoe, but my third pair of AEs My prior pairs included a brown Cornell (the front of the upper's appearing shaved, so they're gone once I get my TS pair) and a black pair of Warwicks, which I will pick up from stretching (9EEE is narrow, so I'm glad I went to double-check my size last week; 9.5EEE for me) when I put my TS order in.

Welcome aboard. That seems like an excellent choice! Remember to post pictures and try to keep up lol.

liquidjelly

Reaction score
Honestly I like my Navy 5A slightly better than my navy strand (both calf).
I am going to try a McNeil in a b width for the first time next week and have my fingers crossed. What problem did you have with the McNeil fit?

I think I'd have to go up in length, and I don't think I'm in love with longwings (I do love shortwings).

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard Bourbon is essentially Whiskey using shells that weren't selected for clarity. Not sure how true that is but it may explain how AE was able to get a nearly unlimited number of Bourbon shells for this TS.
I can believe that. Back in the Hanover days sometimes our color 8 shell would come in nearly black. You did not dare complain, we were in the line behind the A brands based on quantity usage back then.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I see you are jumping in the deep end of the pool. Just remember, if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to be able to pee in the tall grass. Good to see a new member anytime but attending a TS and possibly getting a shaved shell, makes you a rat bastard in my book. In a good way of course.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I take it you are a fan of single monks!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the First Avenue on 201? That's why I included it in my note. Someone asked about the First Ave and she said to stand by on a sizing chart there. The other interesting thing I see on that chart are additional half sizing beyond 12. I've been wanting to try a 12.5 in the 511 last, looks like that may be a possibility now.

I thought I read 5th Ave on the list. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see the First Ave listed. This is a question for @ae_ashley. Is the 201 going to be part of the size expansion?

Reaction score
I take it you are a fan of single monks!

I like single monks, they're comfy and easy to wear! (+1 for reference)

In all seriousness, though, I'd have gotten the double-monks if they were available, but there were no good ones on eBay when I got my Cornells, And I got my Warwicks on sale, while the St. Johns weren't. I'd have loved to get a shell double-monk, but alas, there are none. Still, I think I can get behind shell in a shell vs monks argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads