• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit-Abroard

Reaction score
Is translucent the same edge color as my walnut MacNeil? I know Ashley posted a picture of sample edge colors, but I can't seem to find it.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To our fellow service men and women, LEO’s, first responders or those married to one that may be on this board, thank you for your service.

Red, white, and blue on this somber morning.
61C228D6-9950-44F6-ACC3-F8E3E85B2744.jpeg

Now back to the shell trunk show to lift the spirits.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is translucent the same edge color as my walnut MacNeil? I know Ashley posted a picture of sample edge colors, but I can't seem to find it.
Not sure. I think they do a chili edge with walnut shoes.
Look at any picture of the bourbon shoes made in TS19 v 1 early this year. All were done with translucent brown. Which complements the bourbon well imho.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the waxed suede the same as what some other companies call waxed flesh?
I haven't actually seen anybody's waxed flesh boots in person, but it seems to me from the pics I've seen on the Viberg thread (and on various Viberg seller's sites) that the waxed flesh has a lot more texture to it. The waxed suede on the HM I saw last night has got some texture to it, but seems pretty smooth in comparison. More like a rough Nubuck.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think she mentioned a 201 last as being part of this expansion. I think it would be a huge improvement if they offered more widths in the 201 last. I've read at least a dozen times on here someone writing, "I would have ordered ___ model, but they don't make it in C width". That's a lot of potential sales that cannot be made because of widths not being available, and I hate to see that for AE.
Isn't the First Avenue on 201? That's why I included it in my note. Someone asked about the First Ave and she said to stand by on a sizing chart there. The other interesting thing I see on that chart are additional half sizing beyond 12. I've been wanting to try a 12.5 in the 511 last, looks like that may be a possibility now.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick glance at "members online" and I see someone is registered on this site with the name "bootyboy". Not sure what else I can say about that but....there you go.

Anywho.

Keeping my mind off things today by posing a very important question.

Tan cotton Spier and Mackay suit, and tan houndstooth Brooks Brothers linen suit. Acceptable to wear this weekend? Difficulty level: Charleston SC.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick glance at "members online" and I see someone is registered on this site with the name "bootyboy". Not sure what else I can say about that but....there you go.

Anywho.

Keeping my mind off things today by posing a very important question.

Tan cotton Spier and Mackay suit, and tan houndstooth Brooks Brothers linen suit. Acceptable to wear this weekend? Difficulty level: Charleston SC.
I'd go with the BB Linen.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attention filthy barnweasels!

Since we're a couple days away from opening the gates of Shell...

For the last show I put together a list of every member and their orders, and it turned out to be very fun and quite informative.

Because of the success from last time, I'm starting up a list for this show too. If anyone is interested and wants to disclose, post here or through a PM and I'll add you to the list!

If you would prefer to add yourself, here's the Google sheets link.
You can add me for a Chili Fifth Street.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OH BOY! *GURGLING*

I love shortwing balmorals and in brown (SHELL TO BOOT!!!) that gets my juices flowing!!

As @madhat said, the bourbon will darken with age as does natural shell. Leaving them in a sun a bit will help to lighten the color.

I'm intrigued the by science behind it but I am not really sure why a lighter pair tends to darken over time though (ie natty shell and bourbon).

C&J whiskey looks pretty darn close to AE's fabled "natty shell" which has a bit more of an orange tone to it.

I don't know about that, I have 3 pairs of whisky from C&J and 4 pairs of AE natty and I would say they are quite different looking.

Those strands in burgundy look so good... @ae_ashley look at those things, let's get wheeling back as an option. It really makes that strand look excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics