• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Open question:
Of the boots and shoes available, which models, in ranking order of both personal preference and as objective as possible, do you believe make more sense to prioritize getting in shell over calf? Also pretend the horror: you have an empty shoe closet.

By the looks of it, i’m trending to only likely be able to pick up one pair. We are considering purchasing a new car or suv towards the end of the year so wallet is tightening up.

Probably going to go with the Chili since it is this trunk show’s bourbon.
For shoes these make the most sense.
  1. Cornwallis in Navy
  2. MacNeil
  3. Strand
For boots an HM in Shell makes a hell of a statement vs. other leathers. Especially since you can pick the sole.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not, nor will I ever be a style number guru, but did AE change the style number on Bourbon when they shifted from using a base Walnut leather that they hand burnished to Bourbon to an actual base Bourbon color from the tannery that they just finished? I miss the greenish tones of those seconds. Great pickups for an issue that is so easily corrected.

Most men hated the greenish tones in bourbon, including some AE store sales associates I've spoken with. How would one correct that issue?

To answer your question, I don't think the style number has changed for at least the bourbon Strands. Mine have the same number 6135 that was used on pairs back from 2013-2015. And also, the merlot style number on my Parks has been used for various types of merlot leather, like that polished cobbler from the 1990s.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, just ordered a pair of Alpine boots, someone here has to see what they are like. I have a thing for cap toe boots, like AE and they are on Vibram soles (no Dainite so that's a good thing) . Will post pix/review when the get here. Odd, but even though I have been ordering from AE for YEARS (since they first had a website), I'm still not a "member" of their "collectors" or whatever it is called, group. Almost makes me want to not deal with them as they keep bugging me during checkout.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most men hated the greenish tones in bourbon, including some AE store sales associates I've spoken with. How would one correct that issue?
I got two greenish pairs. Randolph was the greenest that I have ever seen thus $99. My Mcallisters were just slightly green $157. Different treatments for each. I wish I had taken the pictures right out of the box.
D2A67AE3-6EE0-4094-A53E-9A96A9AB86C8.jpeg

Step one Renomat. Step two medium and dark brown polish. Medium brown wax.
C39B72B2-4804-46CE-A48A-0FCBEAEDEE2A.jpeg

Then I used a very dark brown from Saphir. Thought it was too far.
C0E9769B-15A8-4C35-AF68-6E058A841876.jpeg

Renovetuer and médium brown polish got them back.
9336DEF5-0C73-4D8D-963C-8AB4B3DF3E9C.jpeg

I keep them up with Lexol conditioner and medium brown polish.
40503E87-6424-4228-B45B-95AF021D1C37.jpeg

This one I just was able to saddle soap and use Lexol followed by some light brown and medium brown polish and a dark brown wax on the toe and heel.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, they just kept calling to me so today I finally ordered. Will post them up in a few days.

Macneil Dress Wingtip Blucher Shoe, 9206 Oxblood, blockout
Macneil Dress Wingtip Blucher Shoe
- Extra 20% Off Clearance
Item No: 9206-105-3E
Color: 9206 Oxblood
Size: 10.5
Width: EEE

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads