• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that I've seen no excitement for the new Alpine cap toe boot. I think they look great, and the 1757 last works good as a boot last for many.
Maybe it's outshined by its vibram ice grip soled brethren the chukka and full lace boot, plus the Patton. Boot overload? Nah, TS takes priority I think for most

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that I've seen no excitement for the new Alpine cap toe boot. I think they look great, and the 1757 last works good as a boot last for many.
Blinded by TS fever.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe it's outshined by its vibram ice grip soled brethren the chukka and full lace boot, plus the Patton. Boot overload? Nah, TS takes priority I think for most
That whole line is sizeist. That sole and last screams B width.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kind of like the Alpine cap toe boot, but have some Grant Stone cap toe boots on pre-order, so............

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a case of Trunk Show Fever.

I like the new boots. The Alpine seems exactly like something I'd want in a style. I'd like to know what leather it is. The website just describes it as "premium European leather," whatever that is.

goalaso

Reaction score
I liked it alot. But I doubt it'll ever make it into a TS

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like the new boots. The Alpine seems exactly like something I'd want in a style. I'd like to know what leather it is. The website just describes it as "premium European leather," whatever that is.
Premium European leather could be damn near anything. I may get a pair once they are in my size at Shoebank just to see.

daveyisgreat

Reaction score
Interesting video i found that i think some of you will enjoy.

Interesting indeed, especially the section on the company's product quality and overall impression of the brand's quality. AE was my first foray into "nice" shoes, after my $100 Florsheims literally fell apart at work one day. I was excited to step into this new world. Only problem was the AE store I went to never measured my feet to make sure I was actually wearing the right size -- both times! I wasn't wearing the right size. At all. (I trusted them when I said, "I wear a 12 or 13" and they said, "Okay, buy these.")

I went through many pairs of AE shoes as well as many other brands and went through a ton of foot pain (and lost a LOT of money reselling the others, thank goodness for AE's return policy), trying to figure out my size. And I experienced many of those issues of poor quality with AE's shoes (giant air bubbles sewn in the insole on a pair of 1776s, brogued parts sewn way off-kilter on a pair of McAllisters, terribly off-center heels on a pair of Dainite Daltons, etc.). The whole two-year-plus long ordeal was super disappointing and costly -- plus I got jumped all over by redditers when I tried to post about it. But I still want to find some AEs that I can wear!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear about how they are addressing those issues. It gives me reason to be optimistic. Here's hoping the Higgins Mill fits and I can order a pair at the trunk show!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Premium European leather could be damn near anything. I may get a pair once they are in my size at Shoebank just to see.
AE only uses a handful of European tanneries. If they were calf, they would call it out. Premium to me means hides that are too big to be called calf. Nothing wrong with a well tanned Steer hide. I have said it before but let us remember that our beloved Chicago tannery is about 90% Steer hide. Shell is really a low percentage as those raw materials are really hard to come by. My next comment will be seen as heresy but our beloved CXL is not only partial chrome tanned but if you really get into the details, it is also semi corrected.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE only uses a handful of European tanneries. If they were calf, they would call it out. Premium to me means hides that are too big to be called calf. Nothing wrong with a well tanned Steer hide. I have said it before but let us remember that our beloved Chicago tannery is about 90% Steer hide. Shell is really a low percentage as those raw materials are really hard to come by. My next comment will be seen as heresy but our beloved CXL is not only partial chrome tanned but if you really get into the details, it is also semi corrected.
Sure but AE has listed corrected as “premium calfskin” before

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads