• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd add the 5th Ave. It would give the shoe a very different look than usual. WIth just the brogue cap it could be interesting.

for me its not the broguing its that the marbling on the toe cap leather inevitably wouldn't match the marbling on the vamp and I would find that jarring like if the veins on adjacent slabs of marble weren't aligned

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should know this, I guess, but what typically is the cause of bowing at the topline? Too narrow in the midfoot? This is exactly the issue that caused me to have to resell a pair of Macneils that I restored recently. I really dislike how that looks and even though they were comfortable and a really nice pair of shell macneils, they found a new home with another SF member.
I'm not an expert on the matter, but its been discussed (in past versions of this forum) quite a bit. If I'm not mistaken it basically falls into one of 3 reasons:

• Defect in manufacturing, (it seems there was a brief period of time some years ago when this was prevalent, but has since subsided).
  • Improper size.
  • Last does not work with that foot.
I have a feeling the OP needs to go up in width for general volume issues, ie I think his foot is pushing out at the instep the base of the heel cup.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1229415

Technically, the bowing begins in the quarter, but it's most evident at the topline. And like I said, its very slight right now.

View attachment 1229416 View attachment 1229417

Here are some more egregious examples:

View attachment 1229419 View attachment 1229418
I agree with Ace that the bone looks like it's pushing the topline out more than usual. However, it if feels good, I wouldn't change sizes. Your V gap to me looks totally fine and normal (coming from a guy who has wide V gaps on a lot of his shoes). I wouldn't worry about the V gap at all and would be more concerned with how they feel on your feet.

Edit: Trying another size never hurts though. It's always a good idea to test other sizes.
@TinMan3
It seems to me that the high arch is going to make you make a compromise for fit on the 65 last. My biggest concern is flexing the shoe at the throat line of the shoe. I would think that may cause the leather to bend back on the foot and cause some pain. If you want to try on a pair of shoes with a good amount of instep room just go to Nordstrom and try on To Boot from New York and Magnanni. Then we can steer you into something like a Grant Stone or some of the Carmina lasts. Alden also has lasts that are good for high insteps. We have plenty of great members who have some AE with other brands because of fit. Now, about the bowing, Ace gives three reasons and just ask any guy with flat pronating feet, no one is gonna make a shoe with my shape of foot. It would be ugly, so the bowing on my shoes is vast. Solution for me is full break pregnant pants. Unfashionable but it does cover the top line.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patriot’s this fine morning.
5C0D6C18-F28E-408E-A39B-AC599956C942.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going with my TS2019.1 purchase.
2C2ADBB4-F9B5-4CDA-B795-4568F2E288BA.jpeg

Love walking in these.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the matter, but its been discussed (in past versions of this forum) quite a bit. If I'm not mistaken it basically falls into one of 3 reasons:

• Defect in manufacturing, (it seems there was a brief period of time some years ago when this was prevalent, but has since subsided).
  • Improper size.
I have a feeling the OP needs to go up in width for general volume issues, ie I think his foot is pushing out at the instep the base of the heel cup.
Also orthotics cause it

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bugs don’t have ears. That is why the cuteness factor cannot be described.
I don't even know how to respond to this, suffice it to say it's a euphemism and, oh hell you knew what I meant. Have a great rest of the weekend my friend!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

• Improper size.

Thanks for the really detailed reply. I think I know what you mean regarding the manufacturing defect. I have seen some AE shoes where it looks like the throat of the shoe is significantly enlarged. That wasn't the case with the pair I had in hand. I have had this issue with just a couple of other lasts as well --- of the top of head, the worst offender was Alden's Leydon last, which is one of their more narrow ones I think. The 97 last, however, isn't known to run narrow. Maybe to your point the last just doesnt work for me or I need an E. I should go try some more sizes one of these days... My local store seems to have a thin selection of widths now, unfortunately. Anyway, thanks for your comment.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe I finally caught up on AE thread! I didn’t want to miss any TS 19.2 news, especially those chili pics we are all waiting for from @ae_ashley , so I read every post. This thread is awesome, guys.
Thinking two pair:
Strand in chili, double JR sole, flat welt and sole edge in buff
Fifth Street in chili, reverse welt in translucent edge, v tread
Maybe a third: navy Bayfield.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the really detailed reply. I think I know what you mean regarding the manufacturing defect. I have seen some AE shoes where it looks like the throat of the shoe is significantly enlarged. That wasn't the case with the pair I had in hand. I have had this issue with just a couple of other lasts as well --- of the top of head, the worst offender was Alden's Leydon last, which is one of their more narrow ones I think. The 97 last, however, isn't known to run narrow. Maybe to your point the last just doesnt work for me or I need an E. I should go try some more sizes one of these days... My local store seems to have a thin selection of widths now, unfortunately. Anyway, thanks for your comment.
I think it would be ideal if you can go try a variety of lasts; you'll need to get in touch with your SA to give them time to bring in non-D sizes in most cases.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe I finally caught up on AE thread! I didn’t want to miss any TS 19.2 news, especially those chili pics we are all waiting for from @ae_ashley , so I read every post. This thread is awesome, guys.
Thinking two pair:
Strand in chili, double JR sole, flat welt and sole edge in buff
Fifth Street in chili, reverse welt in translucent edge, v tread
Maybe a third: navy Bayfield.
Yeah. It’s great huh?
I’m currently thinking 3, but could even be 4...

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imagine a Dublin Trunk Show... Dublin ... MacNeil!

That’s what the Gramercy was. A Chestnut Dublin Macneil. AE did some third party thing with Urban somebody and produced Dublin versions of the McAllister, Macneil, and something else, all rebranded with different names. That’s one of my Top 5 shoe regrets, not getting a Gramercy that lingered in my size in the Shoebank system in the pre-website day’s.

A reissued Gramercy, or a trunk show option for a Dublin Macneil, would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads