• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is brogueing so bad with it
Can't speak for the OP but for me the beauty of shaved shell is in the variation and patina so I'd want a large, smooth uncluttered surface to highlight that. Perhaps more importantly, layering a second layer on top for brogueing would break up the natural pattern of the underlying layer.

When the beauty is the material itself it is best to showcase the material by eschewing ornamentation.
This is 100% my thinking. You want to highlight the shell because of its variation.

I’m on the same page, I think the shaved shell I have seen is “busy” and it deserves to tell the story on a plain canvas. Putting that into a heavily brogued shoe, like a lwb, would be busy on top of busy and you would lose the story of the appearance of the shaved shell.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. Never seen a bugs ear but if it looks anything like my granddaughter, then it's pretty damn cute :)
Bugs don’t have ears. That is why the cuteness factor cannot be described.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m on the same page, I think the shaved shell I have seen is “busy” and it deserves to tell the story on a plain canvas. Putting that into a heavily brogued shoe, like a lwb, would be busy on top of busy and you would lose the story of the appearance of the shaved shell.

What about say the fifth street boot?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@instigateur @madhat @ace13x @Shoenut @michaeliany

Pics as promised yesterday. These are black calf. The fit feels a little better today than it did two days ago. Here are the pics. View attachment 1229210 View attachment 1229211 View attachment 1229212 View attachment 1229213

As an added bonus, pics of my 9.5E 3 year old strands to show creasing.

Thoughts on fit? We’re the 9.5Es the correct size? How do the 9.5Ds look?

View attachment 1229214 View attachment 1229215

I should note that I have pretty high arches.
I would like to see the E's on you. I don't yet have strands but do have high arches too. In the black pair you are wearing it seems a lot of your instep is exposed which now gives me pause about Strands for me. But, I don't think It shows that way for me in my McAllister or Fifth Avenue pairs which are also the 65 last. Now I have to go look. Aint this fun? Good luck.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@instigateur @madhat @ace13x @Shoenut @michaeliany

Pics as promised yesterday. These are black calf. The fit feels a little better today than it did two days ago. Here are the pics. View attachment 1229210 View attachment 1229211 View attachment 1229212 View attachment 1229213

As an added bonus, pics of my 9.5E 3 year old strands to show creasing.

Thoughts on fit? We’re the 9.5Es the correct size? How do the 9.5Ds look?

View attachment 1229214 View attachment 1229215

I should note that I have pretty high arches.
IMO, its borderline too wide a lace gap, but it's not terrible and will improve a tiny bit with break-in. A bit more troublesome is the bowing at the topline. That might get worse over time. Throw in you think they're a bit tight in the heels and I think its worth it to give 9E's a try.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, its borderline too wide a lace gap, but it's not terrible and will improve a tiny bit with break-in. A bit more troublesome is the bowing at the topline. That might get worse over time. Throw in you think they're a bit tight in the heels and I think its worth it to give 9E's a try.
Can you explain what you mean by bowing at the top line? Sorry ? lol

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by bowing at the top line? Sorry ? lol
vamp.jpg

Technically, the bowing begins in the quarter, but it's most evident at the topline. And like I said, its very slight right now.

B28AB016-2513-4BB6-9253-E75FF6B73A07.jpeg
29BDDC1C-C959-40EA-812C-7D2939DA445E.jpeg

Here are some more egregious examples:

700.jpeg
907462.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1229415

Technically, the bowing begins in the quarter, but it's most evident at the topline. And like I said, its very slight right now.

View attachment 1229416 View attachment 1229417

Here are some more egregious examples:

View attachment 1229419 View attachment 1229418
Awesome thanks for pointing that out. I hadn’t noticed that yet, but I think that would be a big deal for me down the road. I had 9Es on the way so we will see if those offer any improvement. Thanks again!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ace that the bone looks like it's pushing the topline out more than usual. However, it if feels good, I wouldn't change sizes. Your V gap to me looks totally fine and normal (coming from a guy who has wide V gaps on a lot of his shoes). I wouldn't worry about the V gap at all and would be more concerned with how they feel on your feet.

Edit: Trying another size never hurts though. It's always a good idea to test other sizes.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I should know this, I guess, but what typically is the cause of bowing at the topline? Too narrow in the midfoot? This is exactly the issue that caused me to have to resell a pair of Macneils that I restored recently. I really dislike how that looks and even though they were comfortable and a really nice pair of shell macneils, they found a new home with another SF member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads