• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 9.5D looks like it could work but is it the optimal fit? The high arches can throw a wrench in the equation but is the widest part of your foot in the widest part of the shoe. Did you happen to discuss your heel to ball measurement?
Agreed. Looking at it, seems to work ok, but maybe a bit long. I still wonder if 9E might be a good option. Maybe it isn't better, but worth a try

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is brogueing so bad with it

Can't speak for the OP but for me the beauty of shaved shell is in the variation and patina so I'd want a large, smooth uncluttered surface to highlight that. Perhaps more importantly, layering a second layer on top for brogueing for something like a perf toe cap or the LWB would break up the natural pattern of the primary base layer. Where the patterns don't match it would look odd like when vertical stripes or windowpane pattern doesn't line up on a poorly tailored sport coat or jacket.

When the beauty is the material itself it is best to showcase the material by eschewing ornamentation.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 9.5D looks like it could work but is it the optimal fit? The high arches can throw a wrench in the equation but is the widest part of your foot in the widest part of the shoe. Did you happen to discuss your heel to ball measurement?
I don’t know that measure. If this next try fails, I’ll go to an AE store and sort it out there. In the meantime, I ordered a 9E to see if the extra width helps out. This is all new terminology for me and I thought I was doing well with just knowing my brannock haha.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t know that measure. If this next try fails, I’ll go to an AE store and sort it out there. In the meantime, I ordered a 9E to see if the extra width helps out. This is all new terminology for me and I thought I was doing well with just knowing my brannock haha.
The Brannock used by a skilled fitter is a great tool. But unless all three measurements are considered along with shape, meatiness, and standing movement of the foot your best size range cannot be determined. Most guys will have at least 2 sizes depending on last and style.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Brannock used by a skilled fitter is a great tool. But unless all three measurements are considered along with shape, meatiness, and standing movement of the foot your best size range cannot be determined. Most guys will have at least 2 sizes depending on last and style.
11EE, 11EEE, 11.5E, 11.5EE depending on last. I do have some 11.5EEE, but 11.5EE would be ideal on them.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for the OP but for me the beauty of shaved shell is in the variation and patina so I'd want a large, smooth uncluttered surface to highlight that. Perhaps more importantly, layering a second layer on top for brogueing would break up the natural pattern of the underlying layer.

When the beauty is the material itself it is best to showcase the material by eschewing ornamentation.
This is 100% my thinking. You want to highlight the shell because of its variation.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do and am glad to do so. I like the one with Diesel, the drug sniffing dog.

#stillintraining

Snapchat-697266891.jpg

This one on my story is a favorite.

Mostly because of my lapel pin.

20190824_213347.jpg

#noallahuackbarallowed

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Memorial service calls for a suit, no matter what the temperature outdoors.
The whole metro area I live in is incredibly casual. I'd estimate a crowd of at least 50 that were gathered today to pay their respects. I counted 7 suits, two belonging to the ministers, the rest were family. On a plus side, I counted no t-shirts this time, as I have in the past.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The whole metro area I live in is incredibly casual. I'd estimate a crowd of at least 50 that were gathered today to pay their respects. I counted 7 suits, two belonging to the ministers, the rest were family. On a plus side, I counted no t-shirts this time, as I have in the past.
One never insults anyone by dressing well, suit at a funeral is what to wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads