• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My self-imposed, rebrand-induced, AE hiatus lasted one year, which is surprising even to me. But I go to pick up my Midnight Navy Strands and restock on some polish, and I feel a little like Rumpelstiltskin: Among other things, apparently there is a Feather Welt, my polish is now the “Speed Polish option.” I’m actually pleasantly surprised overall. I think these feel lighter, and maybe (maybe..?) a bit less substantial than my pre-rebrand shoes. But I don’t know; I’m still processing that, and I’m sure when I read back through the thread I’ll catch up on everyone’s well-hashed thoughts.

That said, I love the Midnight Navy. Love it. Even if they did get mixed reviews at the office, no matter. Love the way these look.

(The flaw on the top of the right shoe is my fault. I am not happy about it, and was a little sick when it happened, but user error it is.

View attachment 1229101 View attachment 1229102
A great time to return if you have shell passion, with a shell trunk show on the horizon. They did one earlier this year and it was by far the best AE trunk show I have seen, with hundreds of first quality pairs shipped shockingly quickly. Was a lovefest here.

There's some stuff, but why rehash? :)

Black denim and boring burgundy.
View attachment 1229112

View attachment 1229113
Nothing boring about a great pair and good combo with the choice of pants today.

@Brogue One as Bagely says, it's a good time to return with a second shell trunk show starting up in two weeks. See the tags at the top of the page to get details. As for hashing out stuff, there's been a fair amount of renaming things, as you've noted. Bench Welt is not meaningfully different than what we've always known from AE. The other welt options are basically what we previously knew, too, as some of the non-gyw options, just renamed, and a few changes/tweaks. I'll post a little Q&A I had a while back below for general info:

I don’t need to explain to you what the Bench Welt, Storm Welt, or the Custom Cork Insole is, because that’s what you’ve been very familiar with in the past.

In addition to these Welts, we’ve also introduced two other (also 360 good year welted) methods of construction:

- Feather Welt + Light Form Insole (which is a poron insole, cork infused composite mid layer with a removable footbed) that is lightweight, shock absorbing, and recraftable (Nomad collection) Not entirely unlike the Road Warriors.

- Speed Welt + Shock Form Insole (poron insole, cork infused composite mid layer and a EVA midsole) which focuses on flexibility, shock absorption, and a “springy feel”. This is ALSO recraftable (New Americans Collection)

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple days behind, have we seen the chili shell yet?
*wink* that's right...we TOTALLY weren't given an opportunity to see/buy chili shell earlier this week. *snickers* They TOTALLY didn't already sell out... :D

The funny part about this is that @madhat likely already has a pair of chili shell. Madhat - you wanna share those Carmina chukkas? I’d bet a pair of shoelaces chili looks very close to what you got ...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The funny part about this is that @madhat likely already has a pair of chili shell. Madhat - you wanna share those Carmina chukkas? I’d bet a pair of shoelaces chili looks very close to what you got ...
Honestly, I hope not; one pair of rubundy is plenty. I'm hoping chili is oranger, like classic AE chili.

left looks to as close as I'm getting to rubi after a couple applications of red cream polish (that stuff smells)
20190820_182237.jpg

As delivered in less light
20190805_171659.jpg

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I hope not; one pair of rubundy is plenty. I'm hoping chili is oranger, like classic AE chili.

left looks to as close as I'm getting to rubi after a couple applications of red cream polish (that stuff smells)
View attachment 1229175
View attachment 1229177
I'd wager similar to this, but a little darker/browner. It's supposed to be a unique AE color, I think.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there will ever be a Saddle Shoe Trunk Show?

Until then at least I have a pair of (made in 1984) Oakmonts (and one other pair of A-E saddle shoes).

IMG_2160.jpeg

A Spectator Trunk Show might also be nice although there's probably about the same chance of that happening as there is having Voyagers included in the next shell trunk show.

No one would stand in line to be the first person on their block to have a pair of shaved shell Voyagers.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there will ever be a Saddle Shoe Trunk Show?

Until then at least I have a pair of (made in 1984) Oakmonts (and one other pair of A-E saddle shoes).

View attachment 1229176

A Spectator Trunk Show might also be nice although there's probably about the same chance of that happening as there is having Voyagers included in the next shell trunk show.

No one would stand in line to be the first person on their block to have a pair of shaved shell Voyagers.
I'm not sure if it will look like a webgem or a trunk show, but I think having something like that at least eventually is inevitable.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1229175
View attachment 1229177

Which Carmina color is this? Ruby? Are those the new unlined ones from a month or two ago?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which Carmina color is this? Ruby? Are those the new unlined ones from a month or two ago?
Yes they're the unlined ones. Unfortunately, this is what their rubi shell currently looks like. I have dubbed it a portmanteau of rubi and burgundy: rubundy

(I know I need to stop flexing my entitlement muscles, but I'm struggling to be happy with the color being called rubi. Burgundy this color I'd be ecstatic)

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1229175
View attachment 1229177

I’m guessing this but a bit darker. My supposition is that they are going for dark chili; the last round of natural shell was almost exactly (regular) chili.

Also - portmanteau. This is why I love this thread.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they're the unlined ones. Unfortunately, this is what their rubi shell currently looks like. I have dubbed it a portmanteau of rubi and burgundy: rubundy

(I know I need to stop flexing my entitlement muscles, but I'm struggling to be happy with the color being called rubi. Burgundy this color I'd be ecstatic)

Honestly I wouldn’t have been happy with these when I ordered Rubi - you were way more accepting than I would have been.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad deal for $50 a pop, considering they're suede and all.

View attachment 1229184

This is forbidden. Strand King buys something that is not a Strand design? What's the world coming to?

I really like the blue ones and even considered buying them (but I don't need them).

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to my local AE store this morning to get my size dialed in on the 65 last (I can only do one pair at this trunk show, and I've narrowed my pick down to one of two models - the Fifths, leaning towards the Street - the final choice will depend on how much I like the Chili Cordovan - assuming we ever see it...).

Was mildly surprised to find that 9E works best for me in the 65 (at least in the Park Avenue, which is what the manager, Peggy, had me trying on). I say mildly surprised because, while all my AEs (except my Higgies) are 9.5E, I've always felt that I should have gone with a 9E in the Boulder drivers (they fit fine if I'm wearing socks, but sockless, there's a lot of heel slip, and they just feel too loose).

The 9.5E in the Park Avenue felt loose all over (in the toe box, length-wise, and in the heel), the 9.5D was better in the heel, but was far too tight in the toe box, while the 9E felt good length-wise, in the heel, and in the instep, but just a little snug in the toe box (not uncomfortably tight, just a bit snug).

Hoping to see some pics of the enigmatic chili shell soon...

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@instigateur @madhat @ace13x @Shoenut @michaeliany

Pics as promised yesterday. These are black calf. The fit feels a little better today than it did two days ago. Here are the pics.
64079F79-20D0-451A-9D98-5A840B0CC8D0.jpeg
4845B2B4-36FD-47F0-981D-7E1F55E084BB.jpeg
29BDDC1C-C959-40EA-812C-7D2939DA445E.jpeg
B28AB016-2513-4BB6-9253-E75FF6B73A07.jpeg

As an added bonus, pics of my 9.5E 3 year old strands to show creasing.

Thoughts on fit? We’re the 9.5Es the correct size? How do the 9.5Ds look?

23D0E7E9-6E08-4F24-A379-C67C7E8FAF39.jpeg
26FAB08C-7D8F-4F5B-92EB-2D54E843E61C.jpeg

I should note that I have pretty high arches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads