• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeliany

Reaction score
Open question:
Of the boots and shoes available, which models, in ranking order of both personal preference and as objective as possible, do you believe make more sense to prioritize getting in shell over calf? Also pretend the horror: you have an empty shoe closet.

By the looks of it, i’m trending to only likely be able to pick up one pair. We are considering purchasing a new car or suv towards the end of the year so wallet is tightening up.

Probably going to go with the Chili since it is this trunk show’s bourbon.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open question:
Of the boots and shoes available, which models, in ranking order of both personal preference and as objective as possible, do you believe make more sense to prioritize getting in shell over calf? Also pretend the horror: you have an empty shoe closet.

By the looks of it, i’m trending to only likely be able to pick up one pair. We are considering purchasing a new car or suv towards the end of the year so wallet is tightening up.

Personally, if i had the coin, I'd go with the vault items first:

Fifth Street
Bayfield
Dundee

as all of these are discontinued and may never come back.

Out of the currently available models, I'd go with:

Cornwallis
Fifth Avenue
Dalton

as all the rest are already available in shell, and I might be able to pick them up as seconds down the road.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open question:

All other things being equal (they never are) I would prioritize discontinued models and special colors.
So
Navy 5 Street
Chili Dundee
Green Bayfield
for example

Speaking of which
Green Bayfield should be a gonzo seller in Wisconsin, no??

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Open question:

Is a trick question? ;)
I say buy the shoe you like the most, are most likely to wear, or fills a gap in your rotation.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open question:

Personal preference would be to get a plain toe style in shell over calf, which is the HM, Leeds, and Dundee. The blank canvas really highlights the characteristics of shell. The Dalton is a great one to get now since there is an option to have a reverse welt, which I really feel matches the style well. I also think a Strand with a double sole and reverse welt would look great, too.

Given that everything amounts to personal style choices, all I can offer up as objective is get a style/color combo that suits you and is not ordinarily available.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m considering going to the DC trunk show. How early would I need to be to be in the shaved 10?
38qu2i.jpg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So. Good. That is the perfect makeup for that boot. Seriously, the Longbranch should be offered in that makeup year-round. It's like it was designed for Dublin to begin with. Seriously, just getting rid of the gumlite sole on the Longbranch makes it look waaaaaaaaaay better.

Could you imagine a Dublin trunk show with these options:

Boots:
Higgins Mill
Longbranch (or Dalton)
Eagle County (or First Avenue)
Dundee

Shoes:
Strand
Leeds
Randolph
Macneil
Rogue
Players

Give us choices of tan, natural, cognac, navy, green, burgundy, dark brown, and black.

I know a lot of you are salivating about the upcoming cordovan trunk show, but this is the one that would geek me out the hardest.

Since Horween English Tan Dublin Leather has been mentioned, from way back in the MTO days, my Horween English Tan Dublin Leather McGillicuddys.

P1140665.jpeg

McGillicuddys are McAllisters with split reverse welts, antique brass eyelets, Dainite soles, Poron insoles and flat laces.

Although the Poron insoles somehow got left out and was offered a remake, declined since I didn't want to jeopardize the MTO program.

Originally ordered these in walnut grain. Was informed there was a cutting error and there was no more walnut grain leather left. Was sent a sample of chili grain leather. Thought the color was too similar to some Horween Cognac Dublin Leather shoes I had at that time, so decided on Horween English Tan Dublin Leather.

They have darkened over time. The little bit of tongue showing on the right shoe (on the left in this picture) is closer to the original color.

Shortly after that someone posted a picture in the A-E MTO thread of some chili grain McAllisters.

Added this to my Spaggia regret. Regret not getting white suede Spaggias and regret not getting these shoes in chili grain.

(Note for younger members: McGilliddy is Lucy Ricardo's maiden name.)

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since Horween English Tan Dublin Leather has been mentioned, from way back in the MTO days, my Horween English Tan Dublin Leather McGillicuddys.

View attachment 1228896

McGillicuddys are McAllisters with split reverse welts, antique brass eyelets, Dainite soles, Poron insoles and flat laces.

Although the Poron insoles somehow got left out and was offered a remake, declined since I didn't want to jeopardize the MTO program.

Originally ordered these in walnut grain. Was informed there was a cutting error and there was no more walnut grain leather left. Was sent a sample of chili grain leather. Thought the color was too similar to some Horween Cognac Dublin Leather shoes I had at that time, so decided on Horween English Tan Dublin Leather.

They have darkened over time. The little bit of tongue showing on the right shoe (on the left in this picture) is closer to the original color.

Shortly after that someone posted a picture in the A-E MTO thread of some chili grain McAllisters.

Added this to my Spaggia regret. Regret not getting white suede Spaggias and regret not getting these shoes in chili grain.

I wanted to like this twice. Once for the McGillicuddys and another for the quarter sawn white oak on either side of them.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1228896

Lucy! Joo got some 'splainin' to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads