• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goalaso

Reaction score
It's all leather. They paint the welt with the same edge dressing. I've used colored wax (not edge dressing) as well. It's not difficult in my eyes, but if you don't have a steady hand or are bad at applying painter's tape to protect the uppers it might be more trouble than worth. You can always take it to a local shop.
Last question on this admittedly narrow topic: the edge dressing or color wax goes directly onto the welt, over the thread? I've not seen this done, but it always seemed to me like the thread from the factory wasn't generally colored the same as the underlying leather. Or is it that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't? I just haven't seen any examples online of people manually coloring the welt itself, which makes me think it's a fool's errand, and I'm missing something...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have bony big toes, so that's why I love poron.
I just glanced at this, and thought at first it said "so that's why I love Appreciation" I thought, hey lets keep it clean around here. Pictures of people in horse heads - ok, pictures of people with dogs - ok, pictures of people at concerts, food, trains, scenic views - ok. Appreciation, ok on other threads, but not on the AE shoe thread (unless of course they are wearing AE.........)

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friends cat took a liking to my Maritimes
MVIMG_20190819_211318.jpg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stormy so Natty Higgins today.
IMG_20190820_130606.jpg

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last question on this admittedly narrow topic: the edge dressing or color wax goes directly onto the welt, over the thread? I've not seen this done, but it always seemed to me like the thread from the factory wasn't generally colored the same as the underlying leather. Or is it that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't? I just haven't seen any examples online of people manually coloring the welt itself, which makes me think it's a fool's errand, and I'm missing something...

I'd suggest, even as a trial for the real thing, acquiring a pair of welted shoes (from ebay/goodwill/etc) and go through the steps. Apply protective tape on the leather shoe, sand the welt and edges, apply the new edge stain, and apply the wax, etc. You might discover that you have a handle on it and should proceed to tackle the real shoes or that this project is outside of your wheel house.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you. Do you like olive and brown trousers? I don't have either, that is why I am looking at them. I feel like it's a hard pattern/color to come by.

Either that or the stink from them smells so good! :p
I have many pair of brown and olive trousers, 2 of my favorite colors and most shoes go fine with them, although for some reason when wearing them I tend to go with Black, Brown, Burgundy as the primary shoe colors. I once wore my Alden Blue suede NST's with a pair of olive trousers, got more compliments from women in the office than any other shoe I have ever worn.

Odradek

Reaction score
Ah ok. That's definitely an internal issue that would have to be pulled apart to fix. I would contact AE and see what they can do to help you. Maybe they can swap when next one of you are in the US.

I contacted AE about the squeaky MacNeils.
They don't seem to think its unusual and said I should just use "Leather Lotion" on them.

Now AE leather lotion is not something I can buy here in Europe but I have used Colonil 1909 Leather Lotion on them to no avail.
Doesn't look like they want to help or get involved though.

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for any concerns that have occurred with your Macneil style.

Squeaking sometimes occurs on shoes because we use authentic leathers such as calfskin. When two pieces of leather rub against each other, such as the leather lining, upper leather and /or tongue leathers, squeaking may occur due to the friction. The fix is usually quite simple; general wear will help dissipate the noise. or you can apply Leather Lotion as a lubricant. Leather Lotion can be found at AllenEdmonds.com, or you can also visit an Allen Edmonds store and have a store associate apply the lotion for you.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No just onto the edge. If the shoe were flat on the ground, the vertical part, NOT the horizontal part with the stitching.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I contacted AE about the squeaky MacNeils.
They don't seem to think its unusual and said I should just use "Leather Lotion" on them.

Now AE leather lotion is not something I can buy here in Europe but I have used Colonil 1909 Leather Lotion on them to no avail.
Doesn't look like they want to help or get involved though.

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for any concerns that have occurred with your Macneil style.

Squeaking sometimes occurs on shoes because we use authentic leathers such as calfskin. When two pieces of leather rub against each other, such as the leather lining, upper leather and /or tongue leathers, squeaking may occur due to the friction. The fix is usually quite simple; general wear will help dissipate the noise. or you can apply Leather Lotion as a lubricant. Leather Lotion can be found at AllenEdmonds.com, or you can also visit an Allen Edmonds store and have a store associate apply the lotion for you.

They're giving you the dodge. Don't take no for an answer. Get someone else on the phone.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No chili shell pics yet?

Whenever they come will someone please thread-tag the page #

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads