• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing the Walton on a Monday. These are the last of the 73 last for now? This last is nice and wide at the ball of the foot with a low cone. Great for the flat footed guy. Because it is a Blucher even big footed guys can find a fit. Split toe goodness if you like a short apron and are ok with the circumcised look. My preference for sure. Still good size range in black for $199. Brown is more spotty.
F7E2B000-A4EB-4526-B423-34C02641352F.jpeg
AA44AB20-FF81-4BB2-82DA-6A934AFC9A96.jpeg

Enjoy boys.

Last edited:

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the 93602 pair I have, in my brannock size of 10.5 3E, fits close to like a glove. Whereas my AE shell MacNeil in the same size offers a bit more room width-wise and in length. The latter however is also much more broken in, and so, perhaps a bit of shoe stretching could still get you there? The experts would have to weigh in. Also, I just described my entire "exotic" shoe collection. lol. Currently.

Cool thanks. The MacNeil in 14e fits amazingly. I imagine I could do a 15d.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Monday morning gents. Sounds like shell trunk show interest is heating up. Glad @ae_ashley is here as our direct line of information. Can’t wait to see sample shots of chili and shaved shell!!

View attachment 1226380
Natty shell Strands for this morning.

Have a great week!
Nice Strands, nice suit as well, think I have that same tie in the closet :)

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These bourbon shell HMs have been my most-worn pair over the last six months or so.
What is your most-worn pair?
View attachment 1226444
So, I'd set my metric of high wear at a ratio of 1.00 or higher wears per months owned. It's starting to look like that's a bit too judgmental at this point. I'm leaving out anything with only 1 or 2 months because that really only accounts for a first wear.
My top 5 (only ones that pass the above criteria):
AE Walnut Strand Weave: 1.50 (this may fall into the too new, but I do have 6 wears on it since April)
AE Snuff MD Chukka: 1.11
AE Burg Shell Randolph: 1.07
AE Sand MD Chukka: 1.04
Alden Snuff LHS: 1.00

After 6 months of boot wear this coming Oct-Mar, I'll revisit and see where we sit. :D

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'd set my metric of high wear at a ratio of 1.00 or higher wears per months owned. It's starting to look like that's a bit too judgmental at this point. I'm leaving out anything with only 1 or 2 months because that really only accounts for a first wear.
My top 5 (only ones that pass the above criteria):
AE Walnut Strand Weave: 1.50 (this may fall into the too new, but I do have 6 wears on it since April)
AE Snuff MD Chukka: 1.11
AE Burg Shell Randolph: 1.07
AE Sand MD Chukka: 1.04
Alden Snuff LHS: 1.00

After 6 months of boot wear this coming Oct-Mar, I'll revisit and see where we sit. :D
I don't have a reliable metric for what gets worn most because I track last day since worn so when anything approaches 50 days its in que to wear basically. Aside from my JBM everything is within 1 wear of each other for any given time period. I know what my most worn pair all time is but that doesn't really say much other than I've had them the longest.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The split toe is one style that has to come and go. If you get 10 guys who like that style, you will have 10 different opinions on what looks best. All hand stitched? Machine stitched? Split with an apron? How long should the apron be? I like the Walton but others like the Delray. Yet others want a full Algonquin. For what seems to be a simple style there are a lot of combinations that a small subset of buyers are looking for.

I attach a thread I made from 2016.

I completely understand your comments as AE has made a large number of split toes over the years and currently has several. After looking closely at the toes I began to appreciate the subtle variations in assembly, sole, length of split and style of welt that pushes one shoe into the dressier category and another towards the casual. The Stockbridge is a good example of the more casual. It has exposed leather edges on the split and vamp stitching and rubber soles for a far more casual appearance.

The Ashton is remarkably similar, yet some would argue it is even more causal. While the vamp is stitched down as opposed to exposed, the joint in the split is still exposed. More importantly, the storm last is double stitched for a far more rugged and causal appearance. The sole is still rubber as opposed to leather.

The Malone is still quite causal with a rubber sole, and double stitched welt. The internally joined split toe joint is accompanied by a very delicate vamp seam that is machine closed. This is a faux version of the hand stitch seen later in the Bradley.

The Walton starts to move up the casual scale towards dressier. The split toe seam is no longer exposed as it is joined internally. The vamp is sewn down with three rows of stitching as opposed to two. The sole is a single oak leather, but it is still a storm welt without the double stitch into the side of the shoe.

The LeSalle is getting dressier with the single oak sole, standard welt, internally joined split toe and attractive second row of vamp and split toe stitching.

The Bradley has a prominent line of stitching in the vamp and split toe. This double stitching is actually going through the single layer as opposed to closing a joint. This can be done with a machine, but some companies like Alden, do this by hand at 4.5 stitches per inch. I am not aware which method is used by AE. It is common in some cordovan shoes, but also used in calf.

The length of the split toe stitch and profile of the toe adds to the dressier style of the shoe. It seems longer split toe seams are seen in dressier shoes, like the Delray.

The length of the split toe stitch, along with hand stitching, is a hallmark of some of the far more expensive shoes. A good example is the toe of this $1500 Sutor Mantellassi loafer.

Unfortunately, the Dickson is an example of AEs failure to self edit in the split toe length department, with fairly horrid results.

So, those seem to be the variables and now you will have far more to consider when selecting several pairs of split toe shoes for the closet. And you likely never wanted to think this much about the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads