• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpicyUnagi

Reaction score
So I saw on Reddit that the Woodbury Shoebank is having a 30% off entire store sale as it is closing. Anyone know if these kind of things work for call in orders too?

The gentlemen in charge of the store today, at least for the afternoon shift, is super pissed (he's there by himself), since a number of people are now trying to make a run on the store via phone, and he couldn't handle all the people. There are a number of size 14 shoes that have been there for a while that I want. Corp blocked shipping out from the Woodbury store w/ 30% off everything, or the 2 for 1 shoe trees, possibly until tomorrow, so they can staff the store appropriately.

I need to ask the gentlemen at the BW, WI store if they can circumvent this, and sell them direct to me instead, by making ship out requests as usual, to be sold locally, direct to me.

The WI outlets are honoring the 20% off clearance on anything in the shoebank, to match the website sale, at least for the purchases I made today.

Last edited:

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adrian is from near me, great guy as is Fripp. Yes, have partied with both in the 80's. Fripp is rather short if I recall. Adrian is one of the best guitar players to have played rock. I am particularly fond of his Talking Heads work, although Big Electric Cat is somewhat groundbreaking with effects. Have a great weekend.
Loved his work with Talking Heads and with Bowie, and I remember I loved his solo record "Young Lions" that came out around that time (I think he and Bowie had a minor hit or two off of that one, but can't recall off the top of my head what it was - or what they were, as the case may be).
That's awesome! @woofmang
On the topic of Fripp -- possibly my favorite album of his is King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic. Killer fusion album.
Also very cool that Belew was with Frank Zappa on Sheik Yerbouti. An absolute CLASSIC album. Actually did not realize that until I looked it up just now...
Larks Tongues in Aspic was an awesome record, but my favorite Crimson record was always Starless and Bible Black (I still get Great Deceiver stuck in my head occasionally, and when was that album released? '74?). I remember thinking it was kind of fitting that the band broke up after that record; I mean; how were they going to top that? And Sheik Yerbouti was another favorite (although, at the time, I didn't know who Adrian was).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Loved his work with Talking Heads and with Bowie, and I remember I loved his solo record "Young Lions" that came out around that time (I think he and Bowie had a minor hit or two off of that one, but can't recall off the top of my head what it was - or what they were, as the case may be).

Larks Tongues in Aspic was an awesome record, but my favorite Crimson record was always Starless and Bible Black (I still get Great Deceiver stuck in my head occasionally, and when was that album released? '74?). I remember thinking it was kind of fitting that the band broke up after that record; I mean; how were they going to top that? And Sheik Yerbouti was another favorite (although, at the time, I didn't know who Adrian was).
Sheik Yerbouti was a great album, most of Franks stuff was so "out there" for the time, but so musical and "tight". Frank was a great composer, from what I have heard every part, of every song, was scored and on sheet music so one had to not only be a great player, but be able to read music as well, unlike people like Duane Allman who was a great guitar player but couldn't read music, so just "winged it" with people like Wilson Pickett and Aretha, and .........

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Angus Thomas once told me that Frank Zappa was an absolute perfectionist. One missed beat, one wrong note, any hint of drug use and out of the band you were! Guy was a great composer, look on Youtube for the video of him in the early 1960's playing a bicycle on the Steve Allen show, it's awesome.

I used to work for a well known LA session pianist who played with him on several projects. My friend was hired last minute because the previous pianist complained that the music was "unplayable". While I'm not a big fan of Zappa's music, I do recognize he was very talented. It's good to hear he wasn't into all the drugs, which is something that too often ruins the music business. I know he was a sharp dude.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Sheik Yerbouti was a great album, most of Franks stuff was so "out there" for the time, but so musical and "tight". Frank was a great composer, from what I have heard every part, of every song, was scored and on sheet music so one had to not only be a great player, but be able to read music as well, unlike people like Duane Allman who was a great guitar player but couldn't read music, so just "winged it" with people like Wilson Pickett and Aretha, and .........

Is that true on the live recordings as well? Pretty sure, no - but maybe i'm wrong. Lengthy portions of You cant do that on stage anymore, for instance, seem improvised.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cherry red Patriots (aged burgundy shell)

20180703_104848.jpg

20180703_105109.jpg

Different day - same aged shell goodness...
20190204_040814.jpg

Last edited:

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that true on the live recordings as well? Pretty sure, no - but maybe i'm wrong. Lengthy portions of You cant do that on stage anymore, for instance, seem improvised.
The reason Zappa rehearsed his bands so often, for so long, and with such intense focus, was that a lot of his music (which was notoriously technically challenging) was written to sound improvised*, but the dead giveaway is that many times, if you listen carefully, there's more than one instrument playing the exact same "improvised" line. I've stiudied a bunch of his scores, and it's amazing how precisely everything was notated (and how complicated that notation could get).

* And I think a fair amount of it started as improvisation: Zappa's own. In other words, a lot of what the Mothers played was "orchestrated" versions of riffs that Zappa made up as he went along.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The reason Zappa rehearsed his bands so often, for so long, and with such intense focus, was that a lot of his music (which was notoriously technically challenging) was written to sound improvised*, but the dead giveaway is that many times, if you listen carefully, there's more than one instrument playing the exact same "improvised" line. I've stiudied a bunch of his scores, and it's amazing how precisely everything was notated (and how complicated that notation could get).

* And I think a fair amount of it started as improvisation: Zappa's own. In other words, a lot of what the Mothers played was "orchestrated" versions of riffs that Zappa made up as he went along.

How interesting - thanks, didn't know that...

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I saw on Reddit that the Woodbury Shoebank is having a 30% off entire store sale as it is closing. Anyone know if these kind of things work for call in orders too?
Worth a try. Good luck.

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hollywood Nights.....

Out well past my usual 9:00pm bedtime and wearing walnut Lombards while standing behind the yellow line waiting for the next Red Line train.

IMG_2119.jpeg

Here's a 2011 Allen-Edmonds catalog page showing the Lombards, which have a 270 degree, rather than a 360 degree, welt.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 10.48.41 AM.jpeg

If a split reverse welt is a heavyweight welt is a 270 degree welt a welterweight welt?

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures and for those who may be wondering why I was out past my bedtime, went to see Craig Owens "Haunted Los Angeles" presentation at Diehl Marcus & Co in East Hollywood.

IMG_2120.jpeg

Yes, I know my shoes don't show very much in this picture, but I like this picture. Craig Owens is on the right in this picture.

For those who want to see more of the shoes, another picture from tonight.

IMG_2123.jpeg

One last picture, for those who still think shoes and belts should match, wore the belt Leatherman made for me around ten years ago, which has my initials embroidered in four places spaced evenly around the belt.

P1140659.jpeg

Sincerest apologies to those who may have been looking forward to a food picture, don't have any food picture from tonight. Hope the other pictures make up for the lack of food pictures.

Yes, I wore white pants on the Orange Line bus and on the Red Line subway. If worse comes to worse, have a $10.00 off coupon from the cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics