• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, the Strand's is slightly longer akin to the Alden captoe models. The shorter cap can look out of place on a larger foot on AE's models.

MMMM those look good! THANK YOU for the photos.

Thank you, I have a month to try and crunch numbers and see where things stand. Really curious to see what chili looks like as well.

The cap is definitely shorter (as I thought), but it does look a bit longer than the Fifth Avenue which can get extremely stubby at times. I also really like that the medallion on the toe looks different than the Strand or Cambridge (big plus). I am really intrigued by it and am interested to see how things play out.

It's basically a taller Park Ave/Fifth Ave from what I see. The balmoral part is interesting because the shaft will have a lot less volume (presumably) than the Dalton, for example.

I wish we could get a model like this, with the true bal line. It would kick the Fifth Street into another dimension.

View attachment 1225453

Those look great. I do love the wheeling along with the lack of pinking/perfing along the heel cup.

Filthy, filthy weasel.

View attachment 1225457
Yup. Cap is PA length rather than Strand. I personally prefer the Strand medallion, but it's still nice.

I would love a balmoral beyond my buttons as well!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like you need a push!

View attachment 1225466

You, sir are the devil! :rotflmao:

I'm loving the idea of a Fifth Street in some of that sweet sweet AE navy shell!

Yeah, that would be REALLY nice. I do wish I could get everything in all colors... hehe.

Yup. Cap is PA length rather than Strand. I personally prefer the Strand medallion, but it's still nice.

I would love a balmoral beyond my buttons as well!

I wish AE would extend the cap a little bit. Even the Hopkinson has a bit longer cap.

I like the Strand medallion, but it's busier than the Fifth Street. If one's intention is to dress up the boot (mine would be), less ornamentation would be better, so the Fifth Street's perfing is fitting. It's kind of neat that the different shoes have different designs... not that anyone but us (shoe freaks) would notice.

A true balmoral would be incredible. Only the Europeans seem to offer it. Would totally change the look of the boot.

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You, sir are the devil! :rotflmao:

Yeah, that would be REALLY nice. I do wish I could get everything in all colors... hehe.

I wish AE would extend the cap a little bit. Even the Hopkinson has a bit longer cap.

I like the Strand medallion, but it's busier than the Fifth Street. If one's intention is to dress up the boot (mine would be), less ornamentation would be better, so the Fifth Street's perfing is fitting. It's kind of neat that the different shoes have different designs... not that anyone but us (shoe freaks) would notice.

A true balmoral would be incredible. Only the Europeans seem to offer it. Would totally change the look of the boot.
Cobbler Union has a bal boot

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cobbler Union has a bal boot

I looked, those look nice!!

Come on AE, make the Fifth Street like this :) Doesn't have to be quite as tall or speed hooked.

*Carmina goodness, shield thine eyes*

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to TS19.2. Here are my TS19.1 pairs: brown Strand & navy Cornwallis with double JR soles, added brass eyelets, and new laces. I've only worn the navy ones once so far as I am currently putting in some wear on some Aldens that I bought before the trunk show. View attachment 1225407 View attachment 1225408 View attachment 1225410
Outstanding selection. Love that you went double sole, and added the brass eyelets. I may add brass eyelets to a few pairs as well.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walnut Mackenzies today:

View attachment 1224963
It feels a little weird replying to my own post, but since I was wearing the Mackenzies yesterday, that keeps the following story about what happened after work last night on topic:

Last night, I had a new experience: a "house concert." My wife is old friends with Rob Fetters (co-founder, with Adrian Belew, of The Bears), and he invited her to come to a house concert (basically, a one-man show) that he was going to put on at his niece's house. Apparently, this is something he's been doing lately and having lots of fun with.

He brings along a PA system, a few guitars, a bewildering array of stomp boxes, and a digital multitrack machine on which are tracks from various of his recording projects (several of which featured solo work by a couple of my favorite guitarists, Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp) that he uses as backing tracks to the live performance.

It was a great show. I've always thought Rob was a fine guitarist and songwriter, but he really outdid himself last night, and he told lots of great stories (like the one about going to LA in the late 70s to hook up with a girl he thought was in love with him, only to find out that she was really in love with Jackson Browne's brother, and not having enough time to process that before being invited by his buddy Adrian to come watch him rehearse with Frank Zappa and the Mothers and having Frank ask him for a ride back to Laurel Canyon)...

A great time was had by all (about 30 people attended), and after the show, Rob told me and Frances that he was playing a gig in the park today at noon in Cincinnati and then doing another house concert tonight at another niece's house near Columbus, and another gig or two tomorrow. Apparently, he's busier now that he's not playing regularly with a band any more, and I'm guessing he's doing pretty well with these house concerts: as I said, there were about 30 people there, and ticket prices were between $27 (pre-sale, which was what my wife bought for us*) and $35 (regular price), so he grossed ~$1,000 for the night.

(*He actually put us on the guest list, but the wife wanted to support him and bought tickets - which nobody asked for us for - anyway. In any event, it was well worth the money.)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It feels a little weird replying to my own post, but since I was wearing the Mackenzies yesterday, that keeps the following story about what happened after work last night on topic:

Last night, I had a new experience: a "house concert." My wife is old friends with Rob Fetters (co-founder, with Adrian Belew, of The Bears), and he invited her to come to a house concert (basically, a one-man show) that he was going to put on at his niece's house. Apparently, this is something he's been doing lately and having lots of fun with.

He brings along a PA system, a few guitars, a bewildering array of stomp boxes, and a digital multitrack machine on which are tracks from various of his recording projects (several of which featured solo work by a couple of my favorite guitarists, Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp) that he uses as backing tracks to the live performance.

It was a great show. I've always thought Rob was a fine guitarist and songwriter, but he really outdid himself last night, and he told lots of great stories (like the one about going to LA in the late 70s to hook up with a girl he thought was in love with him, only to find out that she was really in love with Jackson Browne's brother, and not having enough time to process that before being invited by his buddy Adrian to come watch him rehearse with Frank Zappa and the Mothers and having Frank ask him for a ride back to Laurel Canyon)...

A great time was had by all (about 30 people attended), and after the show, Rob told me and Frances that he was playing a gig in the park today at noon in Cincinnati and then doing another house concert tonight at another niece's house near Columbus, and another gig or two tomorrow. Apparently, he's busier now that he's not playing regularly with a band any more, and I'm guessing he's doing pretty well with these house concerts: as I said, there were about 30 people there, and ticket prices were between $27 (pre-sale, which was what my wife bought for us*) and $35 (regular price), so he grossed ~$1,000 for the night.

(*He actually put us on the guest list, but the wife wanted to support him and bought tickets - which nobody asked for us for - anyway. In any event, it was well worth the money.)
Adrian is from near me, great guy as is Fripp. Yes, have partied with both in the 80's. Fripp is rather short if I recall. Adrian is one of the best guitar players to have played rock. I am particularly fond of his Talking Heads work, although Big Electric Cat is somewhat groundbreaking with effects. Have a great weekend.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Adrian is from near me, great guy as is Fripp. Yes, have partied with both in the 80's. Fripp is rather short if I recall. Adrian is one of the best guitar players to have played rock. I am particularly fond of his Talking Heads work, although Big Electric Cat is somewhat groundbreaking with effects. Have a great weekend.

That's awesome! @woofmang
On the topic of Fripp -- possibly my favorite album of his is King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic. Killer fusion album.
Also very cool that Belew was with Frank Zappa on Sheik Yerbouti. An absolute CLASSIC album. Actually did not realize that until I looked it up just now...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's awesome! @woofmang
On the topic of Fripp -- possibly my favorite album of his is King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic. Killer fusion album.
Also very cool that Belew was with Frank Zappa on Sheik Yerbouti. An absolute CLASSIC album. Actually did not realize that until I looked it up just now...
Angus Thomas once told me that Frank Zappa was an absolute perfectionist. One missed beat, one wrong note, any hint of drug use and out of the band you were! Guy was a great composer, look on Youtube for the video of him in the early 1960's playing a bicycle on the Steve Allen show, it's awesome.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Angus Thomas once told me that Frank Zappa was an absolute perfectionist. One missed beat, one wrong note, any hint of drug use and out of the band you were! Guy was a great composer, look on Youtube for the video of him in the early 1960's playing a bicycle on the Steve Allen show, it's awesome.

I'll have to check that out... Zappa (and his bands) were amazing. Easy to get caught up in the ridiculousness of some of the lyrics but the instrumentals were insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads