• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about split-reverse welt do fans of it like?
I skew heavily to casual wear, and the reverse welt is good for that. Also, I like the heavier look. I heart gunboats!
Excellent news, weasels!

I regretted not ordering Burgundy Strands last time around, but now I'm debating Chili instead since I have Oxblood Strands already.

For Navy, what's the favorite non-boot pairing?
I gotta say MacNeil is Navy hotness. I was so close to one earlier this year!
Since @EZB corrected me, I think I'm going to build a fifth street in black shell with a buff reverse welt and commando sole. And maybe maybe a Randolph as a sister summer pair to them. And a scuffed Leeds on dainite with flat black welt.
Dooo eeet!
Maybe a bit of both, but mostly heel slip.

As for my desk, I’m a recent mechanical engineering graduate, and I work as an intern in a factory as a process engineer. I have a bunch of ducting junk on my desk as I am trying to design an air filtration system for a corona treating machine.
Welcome to the profession! I wish you success. As a new grad, if you're wearing AE, you'll stand out amongst the crowd, in a good way.
This week has been awesome. Ashley drops the news, Dabondo posts for the first time, now all we need is to get Bedo's over here too.
Completely agree! The new/guest contributors have been great!

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to react to this... I have an old pair of Elgins that I don't have relevant photos to demonstrate my point at the moment. However, the Elgin is basically a rough collection strand with a natural edge and storm welt. The upper is sort of like a waxed walnut calf - mine are basically regular old calf now with age and care, etc. I am not absolutely sure, technically, what type of leather it is.

At any rate, with some wear and tear, the welt and edge blend better with the upper and it's a good casual look for the strand. Would it be good with a shell strand? I am not too sure. But I do like the Elgin. It's one of these shoes that on paper seems like it shouldn't work but I have gotten a lot of casual wear out of mine over the years.
I may regret posting from memory, but I'm pretty certain the Elgin, like it's rough collection brothers, were made with Horween dublin leather.

liquidjelly

Reaction score
This week has been awesome. Ashley drops the news, Dabondo posts for the first time, now all we need is to get Bedo's over here too.

Agree; I stepped away from the thread for a long time and this week has been nothing short of serendipitous.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Fifth Avenues in Brown!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else casually browse the Allen Edmonds Enthusiasts Facebook group?

I find the differences between that community and this one to be pretty fascinating. You have a very large group of active users on the Facebook group - probably 10 times or more the active users of the AEAT, but many of those users are guys just getting into the GYW shoe game.

The AEAT in contrast has probably the most condensed source of brand knowledge outside of the company itself, and if I had to guess the amount of money spent between the users of the FB group and the AEAT are probably pretty close, even given the stark difference in number of users.

I don't think the FB group came even close to the $70,000+ that the AEAT spent on the previous trunk show, for example.

I’ve seen your posts there, and I’ve posted myself. I was actually thinking about this yesterday, too. Over there is a lot more of, “I just bought my first pair of AE from NR.” They don’t go crazy like we do—dozens of pairs. They also seem to
be largely bargain-only hunters. It’s fun to see when you notice a pic here match one there and put a FB page to an AEAT name though!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trunk Show Shell is the best shell.
90FF295A-3019-452D-BD98-CFF42852A0A8.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That makes two of us. I distrust facebook and don't like being a product. I don't currently and never have had a facebook profile. I generally feel like I am among the last people alive without an account --- apparently we are in it together. :fistbump:
Make it three. Not now, not ever.
Ditto. No Fakebook for this old fart.
Agree; I stepped away from the thread for a long time and this week has been nothing short of serendipitous.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Fifth Avenues in Brown!
Makes 2 of us. Dark brown or black.

Last edited:

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trunk Show Shell is the best shell.
View attachment 1224015

True in 2019!

But in 2014...the wild west days of MTO, all variables were on the table and, any sale, clearance or other discount pricing would apply to the build!! And, they would preemptively call with seconds pricing before you saw stuff, All 3 of my 2014 TS were seconds before I saw them.

TS2019 was all about doin' it right. Paving the way for more. The wild west days were not viable in the mid or long term, seems these new trunk shows might just be!

2014 Ashtons, my go-to boring shoe. :)

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet another Friday eve. I can almost see the weekend and hear my Maritimes calling my name. Until then, rain when I drive to work, rain when I drive home, but sunny and beautiful while I am stuck in the office.
E4348696-98F7-4E69-9F4B-881D626B8C47.jpeg
Why, oh why is the Sullivan Street so under appreciated? Grain is perfect for Thursday night football. Yes, it is football (pre)season.

Tomorrow night, Da Bears take on a team from that town with the second best pizza in the world. I think tomorrow night my wife (a Long Island girl) and I (a Chi-ca-go boy) are going to have a pizza battle. ;)

<quietly steps away to watch the ensuing “my pizza is better than your pizza” debate.> :nest:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yet another Friday eve. I can almost see the weekend and hear my Maritimes calling my name. Until then, rain when I drive to work, rain when I drive home, but sunny and beautiful while I am stuck in the office.
View attachment 1224021
Why, oh why is the Sullivan Street so under appreciated? Grain is perfect for Thursday night football. Yes, it is football (pre)season.

Tomorrow night, Da Bears take on a team from that town with the second best pizza in the world. I think tomorrow night my wife (a Long Island girl) and I (a Chi-ca-go boy) are going to have a pizza battle. ;)

<quietly steps away to watch the ensuing “my pizza is better than your pizza” debate.> :nest:
Great Boot, and Chicago pizza wins (just my 2 cents worth).

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My understanding has always been that AE "split reverse/storm welt" is not a true storm welt, and doesn't offer any increased weather protection compared to, say, a flat welt. It does look good on lots of models, and I think that's the point.
You're right. It's not a storm welt; it's a split reverse welt. Different things. It offers marginally better protection making the water go higher to get past welt, but technically more.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I do have a FB thing, but don't get on more than once every month or so (I had to train people on how to use social media in a compliant, to my industry, way when FB was new, thus needed a page). So I thought I'd look at the AE enthusiast page. I had to "join" the group in order to see the page, I answered their questions about my AE. The questions were what was your first pair of AE, how many AE do you own, do you agree to abide by the rules. I have a feeling that, if approved for "membership" I may be the oldest guy there. Of course, I will only look at it once a month or so, if that often. Just wanted to see what the "buzz" was about, but I don't think I will be a viable member, as anyone who would insult @smfdoc's trousers has no style sense.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jersey shore pizza for the win:box:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads