• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else casually browse the Allen Edmonds Enthusiasts Facebook group?

I find the differences between that community and this one to be pretty fascinating. You have a very large group of active users on the Facebook group - probably 10 times or more the active users of the AEAT, but many of those users are guys just getting into the GYW shoe game.

The AEAT in contrast has probably the most condensed source of brand knowledge outside of the company itself, and if I had to guess the amount of money spent between the users of the FB group and the AEAT are probably pretty close, even given the stark difference in number of users.

I don't think the FB group came even close to the $70,000+ that the AEAT spent on the previous trunk show, for example.
I avoid FB and have never seen their page; I hear it's a cesspool.

I've only been over to r/Goodyearwelt when someone links to a post.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I commend you for avoiding FB in general.

The AE FB group isn't bad though. Lots of shoe pictures, shoe talk, lots of guys asking more basic questions about GYW shoes, whether "five pairs is way too many", etc.

We get a lot of pictures of shell and other high end collector's pieces in this thread. The FB group is more guys posting pictures of their brand new walnut calf Strands and oxblood McAllisters. It's kinda quaint but nice.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lurked on the FB group for a while now, but never posted. I agree with your assessment overall. A little more welcoming here, too, though FB does have a few interesting personalities. It's interesting to see Steve from Bedo's posts. The best thing is we have more pictures of shoes containing unicorns, dogs, and food. ;)

This week has been awesome. Ashley drops the news, Dabondo posts for the first time, now all we need is to get Bedo's over here too.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

That makes two of us. I distrust facebook and don't like being a product. I don't currently and never have had a facebook profile. I generally feel like I am among the last people alive without an account --- apparently we are in it together. :fistbump:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
a Strand with a storm welt, may just be the kind of cool and unique vibe you’re looking for.

Wanted to react to this... I have an old pair of Elgins that I don't have relevant photos to demonstrate my point at the moment. However, the Elgin is basically a rough collection strand with a natural edge and storm welt. The upper is sort of like a waxed walnut calf - mine are basically regular old calf now with age and care, etc. I am not absolutely sure, technically, what type of leather it is.

At any rate, with some wear and tear, the welt and edge blend better with the upper and it's a good casual look for the strand. Would it be good with a shell strand? I am not too sure. But I do like the Elgin. It's one of these shoes that on paper seems like it shouldn't work but I have gotten a lot of casual wear out of mine over the years.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else casually browse the Allen Edmonds Enthusiasts Facebook group?

I find the differences between that community and this one to be pretty fascinating. You have a very large group of active users on the Facebook group - probably 10 times or more the active users of the AEAT, but many of those users are guys just getting into the GYW shoe game.

The AEAT in contrast has probably the most condensed source of brand knowledge outside of the company itself, and if I had to guess the amount of money spent between the users of the FB group and the AEAT are probably pretty close, even given the stark difference in number of users.

I don't think the FB group came even close to the $70,000+ that the AEAT spent on the previous trunk show, for example.

I posted there a few times. Then some ass hat made some comment about the crease in my pants not being to his liking and I bailed. I don’t have time for such horse crap. Not that I’m bitter or anything.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted there a few times. Then some ass hat made some comment about the crease in my pants not being to his liking and I bailed. I don’t have time for such horse crap. Not that I’m bitter or anything.

I've posted a few times as well. Every single time someone has to take a crack at how I lace my Strands...

I mean, can you get any more boring than straight-lacing your dress oxfords? Just thinking about it bores me to sleep. No offense to anybody who does so, of course ?.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

goalaso

Reaction score
A storm or split reverse welt provides some greater degree of foul weather protection while giving the shoe or boot a stronger, more stable appearance and at the same time decreasing its perceived formality.

Don’t overthink it too much though except perhaps when etiquette is paramount. Many seemingly contradictory combinations yet attractive examples exist in the footwear kingdom. For instance, the ever popular Indy boot with its 270 storm welt. And if you’d like to see a beautiful example of a medallion toe oxford with an all around storm welt, pop over to Frans Boone and find their black strait tip. So don’t be afraid to play around with the welt options if given the chance. After all, a Leeds with a flat welt or a Strand with a storm welt, may just be the kind of cool and unique vibe you’re looking for.
My understanding has always been that AE "split reverse/storm welt" is not a true storm welt, and doesn't offer any increased weather protection compared to, say, a flat welt. It does look good on lots of models, and I think that's the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads