• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes...and? I think we need a discussion on welts
I agree - with pictures as examples.

For me, this is one topic that I need to be educated on. I have not taken the time to research welts, and I feel I am missing the mesmerizing nuances of welts that people get so passionate about.

I’m sure if we spend time learning about them, we could convince @BFT9000 that he now needs to purchase every Strand with every welt option possible.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. It's smaller.
2. Makes the sole feel more balanced on my feet.
3. Looks better and sleeker (in my opinion).
4. Makes the sole lighter in weight.
Turn derby to blucher and my Rancourts would be it!
20190519_103523.jpg
This is why I wouldn’t want split reverse on a shell strand... I thought the same for the navy daltons, but it may give depth to the shoe to have the louder welt
I personally always found it odd that the Dalton DIDN'T come with a reverse welt.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided on suede as a show of solidarity for next Trunk Show. First thing I see this morning is a unicorn.
View attachment 1223398
Ok, it is an energy shot but unicorn is there.
No time to change my laces this morning or I just like the clash of colors. Not sure which one.
View attachment 1223399
Saw a reference to Shiner last night. You won’t see that guy, I know him and he is a real Blake Stitcher if you know what I mean. Rules you know.

Since @Shoenut mentioned unicorns and since (for some reason) pictures have nearly disappeared from this thread, here's a picture from October 2017 with a unicorn piñata I found in some bushes while wearing khaki grain McTavishes.

23032800_10155756928133396_3213863357891136107_n.jpg

After taking this picture, returned the unicorn piñata to the bush in which I found it, since it is important to always put things back where you find them.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me, this is one topic that I need to be educated on. I have not taken the time to research welts, and I feel I am missing the mesmerizing nuances of welts that people get so passionate about.

I’m sure if we spend time learning about them, we could convince @BFT9000 that he now needs to purchase every Strand with every welt option possible.

I wonder if we can convince @ae_ashley to bring back walnut shell for an encore if I promise to buy one in a flat welt...one in a reverse welt...one in a Norvegese... hell I'd even buy one with a cemented sole if we can make this happen!

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A storm or split reverse welt provides some greater degree of foul weather protection while giving the shoe or boot a stronger, more stable appearance and at the same time decreasing its perceived formality.

Don’t overthink it too much though except perhaps when etiquette is paramount. Many seemingly contradictory combinations yet attractive examples exist in the footwear kingdom. For instance, the ever popular Indy boot with its 270 storm welt. And if you’d like to see a beautiful example of a medallion toe oxford with an all around storm welt, pop over to Frans Boone and find their black strait tip. So don’t be afraid to play around with the welt options if given the chance. After all, a Leeds with a flat welt or a Strand with a storm welt, may just be the kind of cool and unique vibe you’re looking for.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gonna need the real experts to weigh in, but from my limited research it seems like you gain very marginal weatherproofing from the added storm welt material, but it really changes the aesthetics and formality of a boot or shoe.

Once I got obsessive enough about it, I decided a beefier welt and a few speed hooks were worth a 10+ month preorder vs. a stock model of Alden.

Non AE stuff, but I think this really sells the difference:

C651A64C-2BFC-4C47-B4CB-8C48E98F13A3.jpeg

078EDF1B-109D-461E-93D5-5EAFD262603C.jpeg

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A storm or split reverse welt provides some greater degree of foul weather protection while giving the shoe or boot a stronger, more stable appearance and at the same time decreasing its perceived formality.

Don’t overthink it too much though except perhaps when etiquette is paramount. Many seemingly contradictory combinations yet attractive examples exist in the footwear kingdom. For instance, the ever popular Indy boot with its 270 storm welt. And if you’d like to see a beautiful example of a medallion toe oxford with an all around storm welt, pop over to Frans Boone and find their black strait tip. So don’t be afraid to play around with the welt options if given the chance. After all, a Leeds with a flat welt or a Strand with a storm welt, may just be the kind of cool and unique vibe you’re looking for.

I should have just let you handle the words.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since @Shoenut mentioned unicorns and since (for some reason) pictures have nearly disappeared from this thread, here's a picture from October 2017 with a unicorn piñata I found in some bushes while wearing khaki grain McTavishes.

View attachment 1223912

After taking this picture, returned the unicorn piñata to the bush in which I found it, since it is important to always put things back where you find them.
A well dressed man was found to be littering the streets of LA with unicorns, said no one ever. Well, actually I just did, which is weird. But I think you did the right thing.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else casually browse the Allen Edmonds Enthusiasts Facebook group?

I find the differences between that community and this one to be pretty fascinating. You have a very large group of active users on the Facebook group - probably 10 times or more the active users of the AEAT, but many of those users are guys just getting into the GYW shoe game.

The AEAT in contrast has probably the most condensed source of brand knowledge outside of the company itself, and if I had to guess the amount of money spent between the users of the FB group and the AEAT are probably pretty close, even given the stark difference in number of users.

I don't think the FB group came even close to the $70,000+ that the AEAT spent on the previous trunk show, for example.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else casually browse the Allen Edmonds Enthusiasts Facebook group?

I find the differences between that community and this one to be pretty fascinating. You have a very large group of active users on the Facebook group - probably 10 times or more the active users of the AEAT, but many of those users are guys just getting into the GYW shoe game.

The AEAT in contrast has probably the most condensed source of brand knowledge outside of the company itself, and if I had to guess the amount of money spent between the users of the FB group and the AEAT are probably pretty close, even given the stark difference in number of users.

I don't think the FB group came even close to the $70,000+ that the AEAT spent on the previous trunk show, for example.
I've lurked on the FB group for a while now, but never posted. I agree with your assessment overall. A little more welcoming here, too, though FB does have a few interesting personalities. It's interesting to see Steve from Bedo's posts. The best thing is we have more pictures of shoes containing unicorns, dogs, and food. ;)

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna need the real experts to weigh in, but from my limited research it seems like you gain very marginal weatherproofing from the added storm welt material, but it really changes the aesthetics and formality of a boot or shoe.

Once I got obsessive enough about it, I decided a beefier welt and a few speed hooks were worth a 10+ month preorder vs. a stock model of Alden.

Non AE stuff, but I think this really sells the difference:

View attachment 1223923

View attachment 1223922
Yes, it does. Thanks.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1223912

Like those McT's on you. Solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads