• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not a bad looking shoe; it’s built on the 511, which is a nicely shaped last. I think what hurts the Wilbert is that padded rib around the collar: it makes them look kinda early 00’s “biz-casual-comfort”, which is kinda what they are. A lot of shoes had that padded collar thing going on and now it looks somewhat dated; aesthetically, it’s kind of a vestigial marker as to when they were designed. If they eliminated that element, it’d be a nice basic split-toe blucher.

I wonder, does that padded collar thing have any real comfort advantage?

That's exactly it. If they removed that padded rib thing the shoe becomes more like the Lasalle. My wife doesn't like the padding either. Does it really make a difference? I think it helps keep the heel locked in. The shoes are super comfortable, so that padding probably plays into it. The leather on the Wilbert in my experience can handle all kinds of abuse. I scratched them up with doing house repairs a while back and I thought I had ruined them. I was amazed at how well they bounced back after applying a little Bick 4 on them -- they were like brand new again.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have that BB bow-tie. Also, food pic made me hungry. Champagne vending machine? I’m filing that under the heading of “Almost a Good Idea”.

Here's a picture (from last December) of the champagne vending machine at the Crack Shack in Century City.

IMG_1268.jpeg

The thing in the tin tray is called "Mexican Poutine". Eating it made me feel as if I had become the USMCA.

You are correct about a champagne vending machine being, "Almost a good idea". It had only one brand of champagne, Moet & Chandon. There was no Mumm Napa Cuvee M.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much love does the fam have for the Stradmok? I've wanted a pair for a while now but they never seem to go below $200, and my
It’s not a bad looking shoe; it’s built on the 511, which is a nicely shaped last. I think what hurts the Wilbert is that padded rib around the collar: it makes them look kinda early 00’s “biz-casual-comfort”, which is kinda what they are. A lot of shoes had that padded collar thing going on and now it looks somewhat dated; aesthetically, it’s kind of a vestigial marker as to when they were designed. If they eliminated that element, it’d be a nice basic split-toe blucher.

I wonder, does that padded collar thing have any real comfort advantage?

I think this is exactly right.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's exactly it. If they removed that padded rib thing the shoe becomes more like the Lasalle. My wife doesn't like the padding either. Does it really make a difference? I think it helps keep the heel locked in. The shoes are super comfortable, so that padding probably plays into it. The leather on the Wilbert in my experience can handle all kinds of abuse. I scratched them up with doing house repairs a while back and I thought I had ruined them. I was amazed at how well they bounced back after applying a little Bick 4 on them -- they were like brand new again.
Oh, to answer your original question, the AE Women’s stuff was back in the late 80’s to early 90’s. Back then, while Stollenwerk was making real strides in turning AE around and moving them up market, their new Port Washington factory, which they moved into sometime in 86 (from a smaller temporary facility after the fire) had a lot of excess capacity (the exact opposite issue they face today) so he thought maybe making women's shoes would be a winner, kinda following Ferragamo's pattern, as they were the brand to beat back then. They started with just a few models in (pumps and such), but did actually introduce some very interesting GYW models for women, some of which are actually pretty unique, nowadays:

mS3G76o.jpg

ah1IBfU.jpg

VxAlJoj.jpg

I believe these both are the “Amherst”.

P0uGVsM.jpg

UUCN20K.jpg

This was the ladies Charleston penny.

I think they kept churning out women’s shoes until ~93/94 or so. Ultimately, it turned out that breaking into women’s shoes wasn’t easy. The women’s shoe market is driven by rapidly changing styles and short longevity; selling a resolable and recraftable GYW shoe designed to last decades, into the women’s shoe market, was apparently a non-starter.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore these LWB’s to the beach last year:
TsIfdeO.jpg

Not even slightly kidding. GYW is excellent at keeping sand out. Just make sure you rinse your feet off before putting them back on. Obviously, don’t take ‘em in the water, that wouldn’t end well.

(Vintage Hanover for Hytest LWB safety shoes, steel toe - just in case someone has something to say about my badass LWB’s at the beach.)
I don't get down to the shop as much as I used to anymore, but I was there today. I would really like to find a pair of those Hangovers for just those occasions. I have these absolutely horrible Thorogood black beasts that are really uncomfortable now. 12C if you come across a Hannover again! ;)

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture (from last December) of the champagne vending machine at the Crack Shack in Century City.

View attachment 1208488

The thing in the tin tray is called "Mexican Poutine". Eating it made me feel as if I had become the USMCA.

You are correct about a champagne vending machine being, "Almost a good idea". It had only one brand of champagne, Moet & Chandon. There was no Mumm Napa Cuvee M.
1. I like the outfit, jacket is excellent.
2. So how does the 21yo drinking age enforcement work with the vending machine?

DapperAndy

Reaction score
What's your necessary size? I have a room full of goodies waiting to be refurbished and find a good home. I'd love a good trade. I only keep 9-9.5 US, width D-EEE dependent on maker & last. And even those get cycled. HMU

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, y’all leave my (miUSA) Wilberts alone. For what they are, they are perfect. And. The remark about the resilience of the leather on the Wilbert is correct. It’s just a great, comfortable walking around casual shoe.

If a longwing counts for Wingtip Wednesday... (spoiled since from Brand C):

69AB1D72-AFA9-4B15-842D-3EEFE513A65D.jpeg

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wasmisterfu - kudos on “The IT Crowd” reference. What a great series.

@EZB - great minds think alike with the Acorn Hilfire yesterday.

Not sure why I don’t wear these more often. I saw a guy last week going into International Mall in Tampa wearing a pair and complimented him on them. I always feel a bit awkward saying something...
ABB04FFE-27F0-4C66-B8A2-4FD0AF81C6C5.jpeg
Since fun socks are in, why not show them!
6B8A1161-5B53-4181-8563-4106537515A4.jpeg
If they only made OTC fun socks...I have calves the size of the guy on the Liberty Mutual bicycle commercial, so mid-calf socks typically don’t stay up on me. We’ll see how this pair does.

Happy Friday Eve, gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads