• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have discussed the direction the new AE is going, but at least they have not yet followed Church's in the new old vintage direction. Yes, for $970 USD you can get these beauties. Link, for those that think ole smfdoc is pulling your shoes and legs.

Feathures:

• Loafer with tassel
• Glacè calf leather and linen with broguing
• Raised toe spring
• Vintage rubber sole with rivets
• Internal lining for longevity of wear
• Vintage Church's label to lining
• Church's crest to distressed inner sock
• Vintage logo to sole

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have discussed the direction the new AE is going, but at least they have not yet followed Church's in the new old vintage direction. Yes, for $970 USD you can get these beauties. Link, for those that think ole smfdoc is pulling your shoes and legs.

Feathures:

• Loafer with tassel
• Raised toe spring
• Vintage logo to sole

View attachment 1198445

View attachment 1198446

View attachment 1198447

Looks like it belongs in a garbage bin

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AE-relevant shoe repair question for the wise masters here: my brown shell Strands (relatively new, bought in December in the sale as firsts and not worn much as they have rough finishing and probably should have been sent back) have a persistent and fairly loud creak in the left shoe upon impact of a step. At first, I attributed it to the facings rubbing on the tongue in new shoes, but after a few rounds of light conditioning of the tongue/backs of the facings and some more careful observation, I don't think it's that. Rather, it seems to be originating from the heel, as any shift in my weight on the back of the foot causes the creak. Is that potentially a sign that the heel wasn't correctly glued and needs to be reattached? If so, would you take it back to AE or just self-help with a local cobbler?
It may be the heel needing to be reglued. I had this happen to a pair of vintage Florshiems - the glue had dried and separated. It was a longer creaking sound and if I was really careful i could even feel a bit of vibration as the heel shifted.
It could also be a shank that is not seated properly anymore, which will require a recraft. I have also had this happen to me (on a brand new pair of Alden ravello no less). This was more of a definite "pop" than a longer creak, but it's definitely worth contacting AE about.
Both seem plausible from my remote quarterbacking armchair. Hearing and feeling the sound/shoe in person would obviously be better. I would record it happening and contact AE about it.

Feathures:

• Loafer with tassel
• Raised toe spring
• Vintage logo to sole

View attachment 1198445

View attachment 1198446

View attachment 1198447
Beat me to it.

pedarius

Reaction score
It may be the heel needing to be reglued. I had this happen to a pair of vintage Florshiems - the glue had dried and separated. It was a longer creaking sound and if I was really careful i could even feel a bit of vibration as the heel shifted.

Thanks for this--the above is actually a pretty good description of the sensation--a long creak that includes a slight shuddering sensation.

Guess I'll take it to my local AE, in any event. Wish I had bought it from them!

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing tan suede Strandmok 0.0's today. These are very comfortable shoes (unlike my grey suede Strandmok 2.0's that are still in a box in my storage space).

Walked around on Ventura Blvd (from Whitsett to Fulton and back) for a few hours. The area around Ventura Blvd is one of the very few parts of the San Fernando Valley with clean and attractive stores, restaurants, houses, and people.

P1140524.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, came across a sad sight during my walk.

P1140519.jpeg

A former Union Pacific modernized heavyweight chair car (used to see these all the time on Union Pacific Train 6 in the sixties when I was working for the Santa Fe) is now stranded miles away from all the places, like Las Vegas, Ogden, and Omaha, it remembers from its former life.

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, got a head start on National Cream Tea Day (which is Friday).

IMG_1814.jpeg

It was a nice day. The air didn't smell as vile as it usually does in the San Fernando Valley in the summer, so I sat outside.

At first, all went well. Then a girl sitting on a bench around one hundred feet away started screaming into her cell phone. From what I could hear, a boy she knew and a girl she know had a great deal of fun together and she was upset as she thought the boy was her boy friend.

She was demanding to talk to the girl and kept threatening to tell the girl's grandmother. As the girl's grandmother was probably around my age and probably still has sixties morals, don't imagine the girl's grandmother will be very upset.

Young people now seem to be almost Victorian again in their views on some subjects.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for this--the above is actually a pretty good description of the sensation--a long creak that includes a slight shuddering sensation.

Guess I'll take it to my local AE, in any event. Wish I had bought it from them!
Nice. That's a lot less evasive to redo just the heel!

Note: this is actually doable at home if you're handy. Of course, it's a common sole so worth seeing if AE will warranty. My florsheims were v cleats; the heel was the reason I bought them so wasn't giving it up. I pulled off the heel, separated the stacks, sanded/reglued, then hammered everything back together.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Young people now seem to be almost Victorian again in their views on some subjects
There is nothing new, only recycled things. If cell phones were around in Roman times, the same type of conversation would have been overheard. I LOVE the shoe/trouser/jacket combo.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing tan suede Strandmok 0.0's today. These are very comfortable shoes (unlike my grey suede Strandmok 2.0's that are still in a box in my storage space).

Walked around on Ventura Blvd (from Whitsett to Fulton and back) for a few hours. The area around Ventura Blvd is one of the very few parts of the San Fernando Valley with clean and attractive stores, restaurants, houses, and people.

View attachment 1198467

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, came across a sad sight during my walk.

View attachment 1198469

A former Union Pacific modernized heavyweight chair car (used to see these all the time on Union Pacific Train 6 in the sixties when I was working for the Santa Fe) is now stranded miles away from all the places, like Las Vegas, Ogden, and Omaha, it remembers from its former life.

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, got a head start on National Cream Tea Day (which is Friday).

View attachment 1198475

It was a nice day. The air didn't smell as vile as it usually does in the San Fernando Valley in the summer, so I sat outside.

At first, all went well. Then a girl sitting on a bench around one hundred feet away started screaming into her cell phone. From what I could hear, a boy she knew and a girl she know had a great deal of fun together and she was upset as she thought the boy was her boy friend.

She was demanding to talk to the girl and kept threatening to tell the girl's grandmother. As the girl's grandmother was probably around my age and probably still has sixties morals, don't imagine the girl's grandmother will be very upset.

Young people now seem to be almost Victorian again in their views on some subjects.
I get all my 8x10’s right over there. I agree, the vibe is much better than most of the valley. Nice tie, BB?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It could also be a shank that is not seated properly anymore, which will require a recraft. I have also had this happen to me (on a brand new pair of Alden ravello no less). This was more of a definite "pop" than a longer creak, but it's definitely worth contacting AE about.
Both seem plausible from my remote quarterbacking armchair. Hearing and feeling the sound/shoe in person would obviously be better. I would record it happening and contact AE about it.

Beat me to it.

:rotflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics