• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like I'm pulling out the glue tonight! (Apparently it didn't post earlier)
20190619_163114.jpg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woodlore Sale. What is the supposed advantage of Epic trees? Looks like the Epic “last” might be higher than on the standard trees. Which could be a plus if you need to stretch the vamps a bit to accommodate your instep.

But just guessing based on a photo. Anybody?
Yes, there is a bit more height to the cone portion of that shoe tree and therefore supports that portion of a shoe more. I like it because I have a high instep and therefore so do most of my AE shoes. Not necessarily needed on a boat shoe per se' but I do prefer it with my Fifth Avenues and Surreys, for instance.

If on the other hand, you have a lower instep and corresponding shoe such as a Randolph loafer, you might not like that it may push up too far and put the shoe's shallow cone out of shape, I'm just guessing. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20190620_003216_HDR_Film4.jpg
    20190620_003216_HDR_Film4.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190620_003133_HDR_Film4.jpg
    20190620_003133_HDR_Film4.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190620_003312_HDR_Film4.jpg
    20190620_003312_HDR_Film4.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190620_003246_HDR_Film4.jpg
    20190620_003246_HDR_Film4.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 25

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woodlore Sale. What is the supposed advantage of Epic trees? Looks like the Epic “last” might be higher than on the standard trees. Which could be a plus if you need to stretch the vamps a bit to accommodate your instep.

But just guessing based on a photo. Anybody?
I like how the Epic fills the vamp and provides a bit more form as the shoes recover. I have them in most of my pairs. I wouldn't count on them to stretch. I don't believe in a lot of tension in trees anyway, and where I feel like I'm having to jam them in (which is only 2-3 pairs) I just use regular split-toe trees.

Any tree is better than no trees. I'm not sure how many pairs for Epic trees I'd own if it weren't for MassDrop - if you order 4+ pairs at a go, they're pretty reasonable with shipping factored in.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Hope you're all well this fine day of Thurs. I'm going to do some off-topic-ing, feel free to join me for a random chat (don't worry, I bring it all around to the thread topic at the end--pinkyswear!!).

Have been chatting back and forth with the missus. Primarily due to boredom at the office. Anywho.

Y'all are familiar with our #ravehajj road trips by now, I'm sure. For those who aren't, we road trip to a massive rave in Vegas called EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival).

Well, we've decided that since we both turn 40 next year, it's time to treat ourselves. So we're definitely doing just that. We're slightly truncating the Vegas trip (2 weeks instead of the 3 we took this year) and I'm saving some of my leave to be used later in the summer, to head to Belgium to attend a party called Tomorrowland. it makes EDC Vegas:

EDCLV2019_0518_013108-2056_CCW.jpg

Look like your neighbor Tom's Memorial Day backyard BBQ.

Anyway, after the event, we're of course doing a European Vacation. And we were chatting about "oh how about a train to Paris, couple days there, train up to London, couple days there, maybe take the Scotsman up to Edinburgh" that sort of stuff.

Then it hit me.

That's not really our style.

So.....as fans of BBC's Top Gear will recall (and I'm speaking about the REAL Top Gear, not the crap with the ginger radio idiot or the guy from Friends) there was a road trip through Romania, to the Transfăgărășan Highway (HOW'D HE MAKE THOSE WIGGLY LETTERS GUYS?!?!). So we've decided we're going to get ourselves (probably via train(s)) to Pilsen, which her Grandfather helped liberate in WWII (and he never WOULD speak about the camp nearby, though his photos he took spoke way more than needed), and somewhere along the way find ourselves a nice rental car from Sixt (because they'll rent actual manual gearboxes), and drive the Transfăgărășan Highway. Oh and we'll be stopping off at Poenari Castle, which used to belong to some dude name Vlad the Impaler? Sounds like my kinda feller if I'm honest.

Anyway, what AEs do you think I should wear to the castle where the real-life actual Dracula dude lived? :hide:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads