• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the wife took me shopping today, couldn't resist documenting this: View attachment 1193293
Unfortunately, I spent Father's Day touring our nation's airports, going from one coast to the other for meetings this morning. I had to leave before my kids woke up to catch my flight out to my first layover. I usually make breakfast for the family weekend mornings. When I got to that first stop, I received a text from my wife telling me what my five year old said to her, "you did a good job mommy...not as good as daddy but still good job!" Ha!

I hope all you gents had a great day with your kids (or grandkids!) yesterday!

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Asking for advice regarding the size of Fifth avenue. My bannock size is 8D. But when I wear 8D fifth avenue, the v gap is significant. However, when I try 7.5E, the v gap is normal, and I feel like it's more fitted. I'm wondering whether anyone has also same issue when they choose the size.

Is it normal for AE shoes with this last? should I get 8D or 7.5E?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I spent Father's Day touring our nation's airports, going from one coast to the other for meetings this morning. I had to leave before my kids woke up to catch my flight out to my first layover. I usually make breakfast for the family weekend mornings. When I got to that first stop, I received a text from my wife telling me what my five year old said to her, "you did a good job mommy...not as good as daddy but still good job!" Ha!

I hope all you gents had a great day with your kids (or grandkids!) yesterday!
Your 5 yr old's comment must have made you feel good on the one hand, and not good on the other, because you had to travel on Fathers day. Sorry you had to travel on Father's Day, but we have to do what we have to do. AE's for the airports?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Asking for advice regarding the size of Fifth avenue. My bannock size is 8D. But when I wear 8D fifth avenue, the v gap is significant. However, when I try 7.5E, the v gap is normal, and I feel like it's more fitted. I'm wondering whether anyone has also same issue when they choose the size.

If you have toe room in the 7.5E then that should be your size. I wear very few lasts in my Brannock size. The device only gives you a starting point for what the inventor decided was an average foot.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your 5 yr old's comment must have made you feel good on the one hand, and not good on the other, because you had to travel on Fathers day. Sorry you had to travel on Father's Day, but we have to do what we have to do. AE's for the airports?
But of course. My trusty Natty HMs. Always room for boots!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the 5-last is a little narrow and a little long, and together those things make sizing a bit squirrelly.

Some people (with slightly narrow feet, I'm guessing) go down a half size at their regular width. Some go TTS. I'm a pretty solid 12D Brannock (and a pretty full D), and the 5-last is very good for me at 11.5E. In any other size it's not great for fit, gap or both.

Sounds like you size like me.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of F2 Strands in cigar.
F3E757CF-C3AC-4EEB-9609-CEB3CC64EAB6.jpeg
DE565A24-932D-4EA5-A876-6B0BAC472110.jpeg

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many people size down a half and up a width. Compared to Brannock, the 65 is longer and narrower. Some people can get away with their Brannock size, but if your foot is even slightly wide at the ball, or you have toes that don’t taper in enough, or you have a high instep, try down a half and up a width. The instep issue comes up often in closed laced shoes like the Fifth Ave.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
If you have toe room in the 7.5E then that should be your size. I wear very few lasts in my Brannock size. The device only gives you a starting point for what the inventor decided was an average foot.
I think the 5-last is a little narrow and a little long, and together those things make sizing a bit squirrelly.

Some people (with slightly narrow feet, I'm guessing) go down a half size at their regular width. Some go TTS. I'm a pretty solid 12D Brannock (and a pretty full D), and the 5-last is very good for me at 11.5E. In any other size it's not great for fit, gap or both.

Sounds like you size like me.
Many people size down a half and up a width. Compared to Brannock, the 65 is longer and narrower. Some people can get away with their Brannock size, but if your foot is even slightly wide at the ball, or you have toes that don’t taper in enough, or you have a high instep, try down a half and up a width. The instep issue comes up often in closed laced shoes like the Fifth Ave.

Thank you all. I greatly appreciate you guys' advice. I will choose 7.5E then. Thanks!

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P S A
FB47423F-6D7A-429B-8649-F1529FB646F7.jpeg

Seeing this, I immediately went to the site and added several Boss boot trees to my cart and went to check out. Just any FYI, the 30% off does not apply to the boot trees even though they were not mentioned in the email exclusions. Confirmed with a call directly to Woodlore.

Dang it.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Neumok 2.0 was never intended to last long. It's already on clearance.

You're the same size as me. Yes, that's very normal for the 5 last. I also get a wide V in 8 D, but I accept it because it feels better on my feet than 7.5 E. I would go with whichever one feels better. If they feel about the same, then go with 7.5 E.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. Today I am wearing my new home-made alligator watch band and some non-AE boots. Take on the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics