• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to photos.
7D41D480-FF73-46BA-81C3-4F2BEB59D83C.jpeg

E5132F7E-067D-4849-88F1-6868902C141C.jpeg

FF37ABC0-CA99-4130-AB89-D2E57745400C.jpeg

A few thoughts:
- spectacular overall.
- finishing isn’t quite perfect but is very close. 9.8/10, better than acceptable.
- not as much toe burnishing as we’ve seen on the bourbon mills. I’m ok with that.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting to feel that St. Patty Day vibe...
View attachment 1144424
Green shell Randolphs today.

I continue to search for proper socks to wear with green shoes.

Killer!

Finally got around to photos.
View attachment 1144426
View attachment 1144427
View attachment 1144428

A few thoughts:
- spectacular overall.
- finishing isn’t quite perfect but is very close. 9.8/10, better than acceptable.
- not as much toe burnishing as we’ve seen on the bourbon mills. I’m ok with that.

Verrryyy nice!

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like there are fewer QC issues and generally happy people this go around. It was a little less complicated to order them off the bat last time (perhaps because it wasn't quite as hyped? not sure). Both of my experiences were good though.

I think it wasn't less hyped, but it was less unusual - many (myself included) despaired whether we'd ever see another trunk show. It had been long enough that there was some built-up demand and more incentive to jump. I think some of the jumping was also driven by whether there was a future for these after this one, and of course the availability of Bourbon drew interest.

Last one was a bit more complicated IMO, at least from the perspective that there were more options (e.g. sole edge).

As far as QC, it is my impression that they're running the TS really tight, which is great. My natty shell Strands from the last show are imperfect in a few ways (haven't seen a shoe from this batch with anything like the defects I had), but ultimately are quibbles arrived at only upon very close inspection. I love them and they look great.

Lastly, every post I see of TS pairs here makes me think about the commitment to this community in particular that AE/Caleres has made with this event. Clearly they're taking the QC part seriously and listening to the SA's we talk to and value so much (and while I mean Ashley/etc. that get so much press here, I also mean the others that don't see their names posted - I know I make a point to stop in the AE store in SF on Sutter street whenever I can, and the SA there is always very receptive and asks questions.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

nmh20

Reaction score
Am I the only one that really struggles with flat laces? Most boots I see on here with flat laces look immaculate, when I use flat laces they tend to get twisted and look really bad. Is there a trick? I’ve not spent a lot of time trying to mess around with it, I just put round laces in.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that really struggles with flat laces? Most boots I see on here with flat laces look immaculate, when I use flat laces they tend to get twisted and look really bad. Is there a trick? I’ve not spent a lot of time trying to mess around with it, I just put round laces in.
I also struggle with them. I replaced the ones on my Barretts with round

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have to spend more time. There was a comment chain over on the Alden thread, and a comment was made about enjoying the time it takes to lace up a pair of boots (this was in regards to eyelets vs hooks, but still applicable). If you don't want to spend the time to lace each set of eyelets separately and keep the laces straight, then the round is a better choice. I prefer the narrower round laces because I don't like having to fight to lace; the stock flat higgins laces and Alden laces are a major PITA! Too big for the holes! (TWSS?)

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to spend more time. There was a comment chain over on the Alden thread, and a comment was made about enjoying the time it takes to lace up a pair of boots (this was in regards to eyelets vs hooks, but still applicable). If you don't want to spend the time to lace each set of eyelets separately and keep the laces straight, then the round is a better choice. I prefer the narrower round laces because I don't like having to fight to lace; the stock flat higgins laces and Alden laces are a major PITA! Too big for the holes! (TWSS?)
I really like the flat tan laces that came with my natty higgins. I kind of enjoy the look and don't mind taking the extra time to get them laying flat and eliminate twisting.
I'd actually like to replace them with the exact same thing, but AE doesn't seem to stock them.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I really like the flat tan laces that came with my natty higgins. I kind of enjoy the look and don't mind taking the extra time to get them laying flat and eliminate twisting.
I'd actually like to replace them with the exact same thing, but AE doesn't seem to stock them.
I find flat laces as enjoyable to lace as, well let me see:
1.) waiting for my root canal
2.) waiting at the DMV for my license
I can go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads