• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like 3 Heritage styles plus some things that should have been cut years ago. I wonder if the Road Warrior line is there because they are about to be Clearanced or if this is a last shot at resurrection of the line.
Note the statement in fine print at the asterisk:
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 12.24.59 PM.png
*Classic Value styles are excluded from any additional promotions.

That to me means that the value line will not ever have a clearance except to remove a particular style or color entirely--essentially removing it from the Classic Value Collection. There will be no other promotions or discounts to this line. They will not be included in any deals like X% off in the future.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Way behind on this but those turned out AMAZING. What is the shoe dunking method? You REALLY brought those back to life. Absolutely gorgeous shoes. Saddles are such a neat pattern
Thanks - the method I use is from our own @davidVC ’s blog Vcleat:
https://vcleat.com/reshaping-shell-cordovan-with-water/

And I like saddle shoes a bunch - in fact I’m wearing a pair today:

81821AC5-31CB-428D-A06A-0EBB0C185A27.jpeg

(Polos with kudu/calf, I believe.)

Seriously considering purchasing these Alden’s for summer:
CDC429BF-67D2-408A-8673-9D92F0609FFF.jpeg

5D5C6222-91C1-48A7-AC3B-F48BC097FDED.jpeg

This is how I’m topping it off today.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Note the statement in fine print at the asterisk:
View attachment 1134449
*Classic Value styles are excluded from any additional promotions.

That to me means that the value line will not ever have a clearance except to remove a particular style or color entirely--essentially removing it from the Classic Value Collection. There will be no other promotions or discounts to this line. They will not be included in any deals like X% off in the future.
I wouldn't let any extra discounts on those either. Looking at the Boulevard, $249 with a cost of around $100 to make. Throw in some shipping and shelf time and you are at about $120 for gross profit. Strand, although is a $395 shoe is probably sold for an average cost of $300. At AE scale, it really adds up.
The value line will probably mark the end of $150 off $395 Heritage shoes.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't let any extra discounts on those either. Looking at the Boulevard, $249 with a cost of around $100 to make. Throw in some shipping and shelf time and you are at about $120 for gross profit. Strand, although is a $395 shoe is probably sold for an average cost of $300. At AE scale, it really adds up.
The value line will probably mark the end of $150 off $395 Heritage shoes.
It's wise actually. I think we may see a monthly heritage shoe for $299; this month is the 5A. Then there will be a few annual sales on some sets of shoes (e.g., RDA, Anniversary Sale). Then there will be some sales on seconds.

Dandy_dapper

Reaction score
I miss 3 days and I’m 50+ pages behind lol.

Bean Boots on Saturday:
View attachment 1124680

...for copious amounts of crawfish and shrimp:
View attachment 1124681

View attachment 1124679

CXL Rancourts yesterday:
View attachment 1124677

Burg shell Grayson’s today:
View attachment 1124678

I’m noticing that this burg shell is lightening up to a color 4 shade in person, and I love it- it’s a completely different color than my color 8 shell.
the colour looks great, at least IMO

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's wise actually. I think we may see a monthly heritage shoe for $299; this month is the 5A. Then there will be a few annual sales on some sets of shoes (e.g., RDA, Anniversary Sale). Then there will be some sales on seconds.
I concur. It is better to move the majority of shoes produced at some type of profit. AE for too long has sat on stuff and then realized they are bloated with shoes that just are not selling. I love a good deal as much as the next guy but seeing a bunch of shoes move out the door at a loss because AE lost the handle on inventory is just bad for everyone.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur. It is better to move the majority of shoes produced at some type of profit. AE for too long has sat on stuff and then realized they are bloated with shoes that just are not selling. I love a good deal as much as the next guy but seeing a bunch of shoes move out the door at a loss because AE lost the handle on inventory is just bad for everyone.
It also affects our decision on what to buy. If we know a shoe will eventually go to $200, why would we ever buy it for $395?

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also affects our decision on what to buy. If we know a shoe will eventually go to $200, why would we ever buy it for $395?
Then the question becomes, is $395 the right retail price if sales are less common, or non-existent? Maybe? Who do you compare to? Domestic makers are few and don't compete in the same space for multiple reasons, scale chief among them. Though, despite the obvious scale differences, Rancourt is able to price competitivly, often identically on equivalent models, and also appear to source materials from Horween and "Italy." Based on the significant use of DR labor, perhaps some European or Asian comparison may be applicable, such as Carlos Santos or Grant Stone? If AE are to move towards a static pricing model, it will be interesting to see how they benchmark and this shakes out!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then the question becomes, is $395 the right retail price if sales are less common, or non-existent? Maybe? Who do you compare to? Domestic makers are few and don't compete in the same space for multiple reasons, scale chief among them. Though, despite the obvious scale differences, Rancourt is able to price competitivly, often identically on equivalent models, and also appear to source materials from Horween and "Italy." Based on the significant use of DR labor, perhaps some European or Asian comparison may be applicable, such as Carlos Santos or Grant Stone? If AE are to move towards a static pricing model, it will be interesting to see how they benchmark and this shakes out!
It all depends on quality consistency, right?

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I got my shell Daltons, I showed them to my girlfriend. She knew about the price and everything and asked why they were so expensive. So I explained what shell was, the whole process. All she got out of it was “So they killed a horse to make your shoes?”

I didn’t even know how to respond to that because I had no idea where Horween got their horse hides. She’s not a vegan at all, but she doesn’t like hearing how animals get slaughtered out there for food or leather goods. Hell, neither do I. I just don’t think about it at all.

Response:

"No, they took a horse that was killed for some other purpose and maximized its contribution to the world by utilizing as much of it as possible. Would you rather they throw away the unused parts like so much garbage?"

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, if we see raggedy pinking on your shoes . . . people are going to be nervous about the TS shoes.
post pics when they arrive
I think I dated a girl named Raggedy Pinking in college.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks - the method I use is from our own @davidVC ’s blog Vcleat:
https://vcleat.com/reshaping-shell-cordovan-with-water/

And I like saddle shoes a bunch - in fact I’m wearing a pair today:

View attachment 1134475
(Polos with kudu/calf, I believe.)

Seriously considering purchasing these Alden’s for summer:
View attachment 1134482

View attachment 1134476
This is how I’m topping it off today.
Looking good, love the saddle shoes - they have a Shelton look to them.
Whose Alden make up is that, as it would be an excellent summer shoe.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, received some brand new first quality black shell McNeil’s.

I am now seriously worried.

The pinking is effed up on both shoes. I tried to stay positive, but have now fallen victim to the QC issues as well. *sigh

View attachment 1134522 View attachment 1134523 View attachment 1134524 View attachment 1134525
That does look pretty bad. My order isn't too threatened though, as the Cornwallis has very little pinking to mess up, and the HM and 1A have none.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads