• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin24

Reaction score
No, I was going to try it on at the store to confirm the size.

I tried on a 10.5 D today and it felt more constrained but not tight/uncomfortable. Honestly, it was difficult to tell the difference between 10.5 and 11 for me for the Wooster Street.

Overall, I think I will keep the 11. I was told I should be fine with that and I imagine so given the cork bedding, last, etc.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caens for the first time since Spring, delayed posting.
IMG_4666.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that Harrison looks very similar to Hopkinson lol

The Harrison was essentially a Park Ave made on the 333, which was the longest last AE produced in recent years. It was more formal looking due to the squared toe (think the 1943 but longer). It was a really nice shoe and it's a shame it's gone. The Hopkinson is essentially a PA on the 201, but it's missing the triple stitch.

AE released a cigar Leeds. Bravo AE, bravo!

gv7123456

Reaction score
A replacement pair of park avenues was delivered for me today. The ones I sent back had a right shoe that was clearly worn by someone that never should have had it on their feet, and it was aggressively stretched out. Easy decision to go back because they would never fit correctly.
This pair has something I’ve never seen before. I don’t think it comes through in the picture properly other than you can see a line. It seems to be either a flaw in the original skin or some kind of slice that happened before the leather was treated, from what I can tell. It is very smooth and well incorporated, but it is a clear break in the surface of the leather, not just an indentation. At five feet I doubt anyone could see it, and I know I’ll get nicks and dings wearing these. What I’m worried about is whether the integrity of the leather is compromised and whether it might get worse. Thoughts?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I saw the whole picture of your shoes with the flaw, I could get a better idea if it would bother me. Sometimes flaws will almost disappear if you zoom out. I did have a pair of PA seconds that had a very similar kind of flaw on the vamp. I would have been fine with the flaw at the price I paid, but that's the choice you'll have to decide. You could end up with something better if you exchange, or you could get something with a significantly worse flaw. I'm assuming those are seconds, right?

gv7123456

Reaction score
If I saw the whole picture of your shoes with the flaw, I could get a better idea if it would bother me. Sometimes flaws will almost disappear if you zoom out. I did have a pair of PA seconds that had a very similar kind of flaw on the vamp. I would have been fine with the flaw at the price I paid, but that's the choice you'll have to decide. You could end up with something better if you exchange, or you could get something with a significantly worse flaw. I'm assuming those are seconds, right?
No, they are 1sts. And since they are E width v tread soles that shipped to me directly from a store there is a decent chance they have already been returned by someone before me.
I’m certainly open to people’s thoughts on whether it would bother them, but at this point I’m more wondering about the leather integrity and what one should expect long term. It may be impossible to tell from a photo, though. One of the things that I think is pretty magical about good leather and quality shoe care products is how much the leather heals from small issues. This is a break in the surface which makes me think that is not possible here, and I’m concerned it could actually get worse over many wears.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Harrison was essentially a Park Ave made on the 333, which was the longest last AE produced in recent years. It was more formal looking due to the squared toe (think the 1943 but longer). It was a really nice shoe and it's a shame it's gone. The Hopkinson is essentially a PA on the 201, but it's missing the triple stitch.

Wow and look at the sizes, 5 to 16, and the widths (though not in every size), 4A to 3E, for a total range of 20 sizes and a whopping ten widths. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, they are 1sts. And since they are E width v tread soles that shipped to me directly from a store there is a decent chance they have already been returned by someone before me.
I’m certainly open to people’s thoughts on whether it would bother them, but at this point I’m more wondering about the leather integrity and what one should expect long term. It may be impossible to tell from a photo, though. One of the things that I think is pretty magical about good leather and quality shoe care products is how much the leather heals from small issues. This is a break in the surface which makes me think that is not possible here, and I’m concerned it could actually get worse over many wears.
I have this thing about breaks in the skin. I never keep.

Rufian

Reaction score
Not even my Parks seconds have a flaw like that. I’m selling them if anyone is interested lol they look flawless but they have a sole protector. I got it put it on by good cobblers it looks like it came from the factory.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A replacement pair of park avenues was delivered for me today. The ones I sent back had a right shoe that was clearly worn by someone that never should have had it on their feet, and it was aggressively stretched out. Easy decision to go back because they would never fit correctly.
This pair has something I’ve never seen before. I don’t think it comes through in the picture properly other than you can see a line. It seems to be either a flaw in the original skin or some kind of slice that happened before the leather was treated, from what I can tell. It is very smooth and well incorporated, but it is a clear break in the surface of the leather, not just an indentation. At five feet I doubt anyone could see it, and I know I’ll get nicks and dings wearing these. What I’m worried about is whether the integrity of the leather is compromised and whether it might get worse. Thoughts?
View attachment 1298374

no way in hell you should keep those

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be phased out but the Bartlett was available in brown. It’s a 201 strand. The loafers I mentioned are softer and then you can go back to the old Indy line although you’d be hard pressed to find them: Jefferson 1.0, Rutledge, Williams, Harrison, and a loafer I can’t remember right now.
I've always admired the Rutledges posted here, and sorry I missed that model. Was that on 333 or 1943?

So I put the Randolphs back on and I’m wearing them around the living room. I’m not sure how a loafer would fit any better. It’s a little snug around the ball of my foot but about perfect when factoring in some break-in. There’s a very small amount of heel slip every other step or so. I read in a few other places that that’s normal with loafers and goes away after they’re broken in. That’s really my only fit concern at this point. What do you guys think?
Little bit of heel slip in loafers can work. I've got a pair of maxfields that slip a bit on my heel but are just fine and comfortable for walking around in the office and what not. Other loafers on that last slip more and just don't work for me. I can't explain where the line between acceptable and too much is, but I know it when I feel it. Has a lot to do I think with how the shoe grasps your forefoot even as your heel moves up and down a bit.

Wow and look at the sizes, 5 to 16, and the widths (though not in every size), 4A to 3E, for a total range of 20 sizes and a whopping ten widths. Pretty impressive.
Wow, that Cigar Leeds is just a beautiful PTB! In a full run of widths! Fantastic addition to the line, and right onto my Buy list it goes!

And finally, a PSA: Sport coats on sale $75 off this weekend, over at Spier&Mackay. VBC flannel and Abe Moon tweed numbers now at $275 and $250 respectively. Code: Sport75
Yer welcome

gv7123456

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Even though last night I was lightly entertaining the idea of seeing if I could get 2nds price, I woke up this morning planning to return. My “fewer, better” approach that I’m trying to use in building my collection (don’t worry, I’m still in double digits with more on the way) doesn’t really allow much for flaws like that. I have plenty of imperfect shoes I love, but a dealbreaker is a dealbreaker.

Third time’s a charm, right? The Stanford Mall store is going to have quite a collection of these in my size as I keep returning them there.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And for the price of shell boots, one could have these

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Even though last night I was lightly entertaining the idea of seeing if I could get 2nds price, I woke up this morning planning to return. My “fewer, better” approach that I’m trying to use in building my collection (don’t worry, I’m still in double digits with more on the way) doesn’t really allow much for flaws like that. I have plenty of imperfect shoes I love, but a dealbreaker is a dealbreaker.

Third time’s a charm, right? The Stanford Mall store is going to have quite a collection of these in my size as I keep returning them there.

Yeah, that does look like a real flaw. A lot of guys are way too picky about their shoes, and posting pictures that zoom in on a flaw that's actually miniscule doens't help. Hand-made leather shoes aren't like mass-produced sneakers, a few nicks and blemishes plus a lopsided stitch here and there is normal. But that's a scratch that can't be overlooked, I'd return for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads