• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you feel about black strands? I’ve had my eye on a pair but wonder if they’re too formal. I’ve wanted a brown cordovan pair but the black ones look nice too
I have a pair of mcallisters in black, barring that I might have a pair. Never hurts to have a black shoe other than a PA, and the Strand is a classic design.
I don't wear enough black to justify, or I would have a black shell pair now too!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taking a Cabinet-Making class. My high school didn’t have a shop class so here I am. It’s like summer camp for adults. Went with CXL Higgins Mills.

E730B966-3231-4934-A1E0-A13176F94727.jpeg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you feel about black strands? I’ve had my eye on a pair but wonder if they’re too formal. I’ve wanted a brown cordovan pair but the black ones look nice too

No, I do not think they are too formal. Many would argue that the PA and Leeds are more formal and the MacNeil and Strands would be less formal. What other dress shoes would be less formal? I think the Strands are great for dress slacks and office use. The bigger question is "How many other black shoes do you have and how often would the Strands be worn? I have a "Strand equivalent" from Alden that does not get worn terribly often, but only because I have a good number of black shoe options. LWBs in calf and shell, a perfed cap toe, a NST, a gator short wing, the Leeds, and a cap toe in calf for the more form occasions. When black is an option, and the formal cap toe is not required, I have too many other options. And when a medallion cap toe is desired, I usually reach for the burgundy option. But a black Strand would be a great addition, especially if you have fewer options and it would get worn more frequently.

IMG_3052.jpg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA:

Shoe Snob, which is the merchandise side of J. Fitzpatrick, will be discontinued and they are selling accessories and shoe care products at 30% off. Specifically, I’d suggest that the travel shoe trees are worth your consideration - I travel frequently and I’m a big fan. They are the exact same model that the Hanger Project sells, just with different branding. Shipping is from the UK so isn’t cheap, but if you are buying a couple of pairs it’s probably worthwhile over the Hanger Project.

Currently M and XL are in stock (Hanger project has L in stock while shoe snob does not): https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com...ucts/travel-shoe-trees?variant=11305032515699

Thanks man, good looking out.

schweezly

Reaction score
I have a pair of mcallisters in black, barring that I might have a pair. Never hurts to have a black shoe other than a PA, and the Strand is a classic design.
I don't wear enough black to justify, or I would have a black shell pair now too!

No, I do not think they are too formal. Many would argue that the PA and Leeds are more formal and the MacNeil and Strands would be less formal. What other dress shoes would be less formal? I think the Strands are great for dress slacks and office use. The bigger question is "How many other black shoes do you have and how often would the Strands be worn? I have a "Strand equivalent" from Alden that does not get worn terribly often, but only because I have a good number of black shoe options. LWBs in calf and shell, a perfed cap toe, a NST, a gator short wing, the Leeds, and a cap toe in calf for the more form occasions. When black is an option, and the formal cap toe is not required, I have too many other options. And when a medallion cap toe is desired, I usually reach for the burgundy option. But a black Strand would be a great addition, especially if you have fewer options and it would get worn more frequently.

View attachment 1144897

I should have specified I’d be getting them for wearing fairly regularly, in a more casual environment. I could wear them with a suit when needed, but I’m usually more casual. That was my concern... if they’re over doing it. I can make them work but a pair of loafers or blucher’s might make more sense

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should have specified I’d be getting them for wearing fairly regularly, in a more casual environment. I could wear them with a suit when needed, but I’m usually more casual. That was my concern... if they’re over doing it. I can make them work but a pair of loafers or blucher’s might make more sense
What's your definition of casual? If we're talking cotton chinos or jeans and polos, yeah, probably not the best bet.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the brown shell Strands. They'll blow your mind and are much more versatile than black calf.

schweezly

Reaction score
What's your definition of casual? If we're talking cotton chinos or jeans and polos, yeah, probably not the best bet.

Least casual I’d go with them would either be slacks with a golf shirt in summer, or dark chinos with a button down and sweater in winter.

Get the brown shell Strands. They'll blow your mind and are much more versatile than black calf.

I’m leaning that way, but both options are shell

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Least casual I’d go with them would either be slacks with a golf shirt in summer, or dark chinos with a button down and sweater in winter.

I’m leaning that way, but both options are shell

Black shell Strands aren't a standard offering, and they're fairly rare as well. If you find one for a good price then might as well pull the trigger. You can (and should) grab a pair in brown shell any time.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Saturday forum pals. Blue suede for today but tomorrow will require a wearing of the green.

9CAA9993-3FB1-44B1-B7C9-34B97290FB21.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Night 1. No pork.

The dad of a buddy from HS hunted boar a lot, and said it was damn hard, especially if you weren't shooting from distance. Good ears, good noses and paranoid critters. His dad also carried a .44 Magnum as a backup after getting treed by a very angry 500# boar that was mortally wounded but still decided to come over and express it's displeasure (after not only the rifle shot but also a 12 gauge hollow-point slug as the boy came their way).

But Lulu is cool with me. So still a win.

View attachment 1144806
Just be sure to wear protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads