1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Distinguished Member

Starting to feel that St. Patty Day vibe...
    20190315_135547.jpg
    Green shell Randolphs today.

I continue to search for proper socks to wear with green shoes.

2. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Thanks!

I have many favorite pairs but I really love that style. There was a point when I was going to order several adelaides from several makers haha. As of now the now 2 pairs of Cornwallis are the only ones I have.

I stayed away from shell for a while. I couldn't understand spending so much for them. Now... I have no real justification that makes any sense, I have enough shoes to wear them for life. So now I just tell myself its better than whatever alternative way I'd waste money. In any event, it isn't like I stopped buying non-shell models. Basically what I'm saying is, buy them, not a fool.

It seems like there are fewer QC issues and generally happy people this go around. It was a little less complicated to order them off the bat last time (perhaps because it wasn't quite as hyped? not sure). Both of my experiences were good though.

3. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

The socks look good.

And St Patrick, Lord of the Shell, approves!

Thanks, was curious. I stayed out iirc because I felt I had covered those bases in TS2015, TS2017 was too similar.

4. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

Finally got around to photos.
    7D41D480-FF73-46BA-81C3-4F2BEB59D83C.jpeg
    E5132F7E-067D-4849-88F1-6868902C141C.jpeg
    FF37ABC0-CA99-4130-AB89-D2E57745400C.jpeg

A few thoughts:
    - spectacular overall.
    - finishing isn’t quite perfect but is very close. 9.8/10, better than acceptable.
    - not as much toe burnishing as we’ve seen on the bourbon mills. I’m ok with that.

5. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Distinguished Member

Killer!

Verrryyy nice!

6. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

Beautiful choice!! Even with brown and natty in closet, I still wood!

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I think it wasn't less hyped, but it was less unusual - many (myself included) despaired whether we'd ever see another trunk show. It had been long enough that there was some built-up demand and more incentive to jump. I think some of the jumping was also driven by whether there was a future for these after this one, and of course the availability of Bourbon drew interest.

Last one was a bit more complicated IMO, at least from the perspective that there were more options (e.g. sole edge).

As far as QC, it is my impression that they're running the TS really tight, which is great. My natty shell Strands from the last show are imperfect in a few ways (haven't seen a shoe from this batch with anything like the defects I had), but ultimately are quibbles arrived at only upon very close inspection. I love them and they look great.

Lastly, every post I see of TS pairs here makes me think about the commitment to this community in particular that AE/Caleres has made with this event. Clearly they're taking the QC part seriously and listening to the SA's we talk to and value so much (and while I mean Ashley/etc. that get so much press here, I also mean the others that don't see their names posted - I know I make a point to stop in the AE store in SF on Sutter street whenever I can, and the SA there is always very receptive and asks questions.

8. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

Those bourbon Leeds are stellar!

9. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

266B95B1-C7EB-48AB-8C0F-3797BDE896E4.jpeg Pools today with jeans

10. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Gorgeous Leeds!

11. cc808314

cc808314 Distinguished Member

They look great!

12. DoubleOldFashioned

DoubleOldFashioned Senior Member

Outstanding.

13. nmh20

nmh20 Senior Member

Am I the only one that really struggles with flat laces? Most boots I see on here with flat laces look immaculate, when I use flat laces they tend to get twisted and look really bad. Is there a trick? I’ve not spent a lot of time trying to mess around with it, I just put round laces in.

14. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

I also struggle with them. I replaced the ones on my Barretts with round

15. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

I actually prefer the lighter burnishing; let the shell do the color changing itself!