• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enquired with Kristen about changing the sole edge on my bourbon HM, but quickly decided not to rock the boat. Stuck with the brown double JR. If it ain't broke, dont fix it...
Good call. I am waiting to see if the ones with sole changes will get lucky. Sometimes with a last minute change like that, especially when there was word that sole changes weren’t allowed, wind up having some kind of trouble in the end.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have photos of patriots out and about? Any fit issues? Haven’t seen too many posts about them.

From last Fall. No fit issues, or break in, tts for me.

601F6E46-2903-42BB-91EB-32D9229BFD92.jpeg
9ED34ED3-20BC-47A6-A0D3-402B503AE70C.jpeg
827CD29C-167C-4DFF-9BAC-AE7791385395.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on a Surrey last week. They're more snug than I expected, no heel slip in the Chelsea. I like them.

I found this also. However, tons of slip in the chukka!

What kind of discounts do you guys think will be happening for the annual sale coming up in April?

I thought it was last April that they also had 30% off firsts (shell included) if you bought three pair. That was a good deal.

Is April usually a special sale month?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is April usually a special sale month?

AE has 2 big annual sale events April (anniversary sale) and November (rediscover america). These are the best deals on firsts and classic designs

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have photos of patriots out and about? Any fit issues? Haven’t seen too many posts about them.

Wrong season. I have brown shell you'll see this summer. I like them. Narrow heel and lower vamp.

From last Fall. No fit issues, or break in, tts for me.

View attachment 1131994 View attachment 1131995 View attachment 1131999

What they ^ said. The Patriot is a great shoe if you like/need a lower vamp and narrow heel.
I've also got the browns and love them.
My only regret about this present Trunk Show is that they went with the Randolph over the Patriot for their loafer offering. Randolph doesn't work for me. A Navy Shell Patriot would be a World Beater. Sure hope they offer a Patriot in rare shell options at Trunk Show 2020!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2BEB62D1-6B18-4976-BA7B-57229F6479C7.jpeg

Rainy today and I decided on the Black Strandmok. The wife called last night and told me to install the new exterior light. It is like day during the night outside the front door.

mkmk

Reaction score
Yes, that's my experience with the Normandy and Sullivan for B34/APL last and the 511.

Good for length and even width at the pinky toe, but tight across the ball of the foot, close to or even forward of the lowest eyelet. I've been able to deal with it as break-in, but 511 is actually "short" in the sense that the taper at the big toe is severe, more severe than the 65 and 201. Somebody pointed out a few weeks ago, taper of the 511 is "symmetrical," or closer to almond-shaped and that slightly sharper angle cramps the big toe, whereas the 65/201 are asymmetrical, tapering more on the outside than the big toe side. B34/APL is naturally "short" for a last, I think, because of that broad, stumpy boot-shaped toebox that allows you to go a full size down without running out of length. The short answer is to size up until you actually feel heel slip.

The 511 is tricky for me that way, too -- the symmetrical toe, combined with not a lot of instep room, makes it tough for me. Dalton is a hard no go, and the Dundee takes some break-in before it gets comfortable. I've got shell Leeds in a C width and a half-size up that are terrific, though. I'm also finding that softer construction on a 511 is sometimes actually worse, because I don't have enough structure to keep my foot from jamming farther forward, and becoming uncomfortable. The exception is the Massdrop chukka, which is so slight that it's basically a sock.

FWIW, I have a normal width across the ball, high arch and instep, and a slim/deep heel. I really like a shoe that locks my heel in tight, but has room up front. Maybe I have English feet. ;)

mkmk

Reaction score
It's a tax on RAIN, not fair at all. Wastewater tax based on water consumed in a house, ok as the wastewater treatment plants have to be maintained, but to tax RAIN and water runoff, BS!

I get your sentiment, for sure, and often share it -- but an acre of woods is vastly different from an acre of concrete in terms of the water management problems (and costs) it deflects onto neighbors, and thus to the government, which is the place where we pay for shared expenses. It doesn't strike me as fundamentally unfair that at least at some point, someone who is diverting an unreasonable amount of rainwater into the public commons should pay extra to support that commons.

The definition of "unreasonable" is the real question, of course -- and implementation of stuff like this is rarely fair.

Thus, ever, coexisting with humans.

;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads