• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I too think about being born decades earlier. There are certainly things that make me wish it was so and other things like you mention that make me happy I am where I am. It's a give and take I guess!

Clothing in the early 1900s was certainly at the peak of its game though.

WOW I wish I was that lucky. I need to visit estate sales!

I'll PM you!
Modern mens fashion/style reached it's pinnacle in the 1930's and 40's (even with the wartime cutbacks on things like pleats and cuffs). Things have changed a bit, but even Ralph Lauren built a career on mimicking the style of that era. One could still wear a suit made in the 1930's to a business meeting, or an evening event today and would not look out of place, save for a few details, and most wouldn't even notice them. Keep on searching, you will find the book(s). Try used book stores and antique stores.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll see your lamentations about cars from the early 20th century, and raise you Ettore.

View attachment 1130534
YES, Bugatti rules! There were a number of awesome cars made in the 1st 1/2 of the 20th Century, and this is a perfect example of one of the best.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That hasn't been my experience, but these are Spring-->Fall shoes anyway for me. Butyl (oiled leather sole) has been great. I've got a lot of Alden Commando, a pair of Grant Stone's studded sole (which I like much better - softer compound and more studs that seem to spread out weight better - I don't feel them even on harder surfaces) and a pair of GS boots that the PO had a lugged topy added. So I've got no reason to put up with a sole I don't like for weather capability.
Totally agree with you on this, the GS rubber sole is not as, pardon the term, soulless as Dainite. It seems as you say a softer compound and more forgiving. Of course, for really-really lousy weather, Lug sole is the one to choose, Commando second.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't even own a tux. I attend a whole 0 events a year that require one.
I'm sorry, don't mean to insult anyone. We seem to be invited to charity, fund raiser type events that state Black Tie in the invitations. I still think every gentleman should own a tux, just in case :)

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, don't mean to insult anyone. We seem to be invited to charity, fund raiser type events that state Black Tie in the invitations. I still think every gentleman should own a tux, just in case :)
I've been invited to Black Tie Optional fundraisers maybe twice in my life. It's just not something common anymore.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been invited to Black Tie Optional fundraisers maybe twice in my life. It's just not something common anymore.
I must be a LOT older than you, as I get 3-4 per year. And, sometimes it's nice to just dress up in the damn thing and go out to a nice dinner, freaks the wait staff out :)

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must be a LOT older than you, as I get 3-4 per year. And, sometimes it's nice to just dress up in the damn thing and go out to a nice dinner, freaks the wait staff out :)
I'm 38. I could probably push myself in the direction of these kinds of fundraisers, but I'm also not about to drop $10k on a christmas tree I can't use

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting a little playfully OffTopic here for my college BBall nerds, but I’m going to make sure my Jayhawks all have GYW sneakers from here on out. Zion’s shoes just exploded on him...

I’m talking double JR for all + Vtread.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting a little playfully OffTopic here for my college BBall nerds, but I’m going to make sure my Jayhawks all have GYW sneakers from here on out. Zion’s shoes just exploded on him...

I’m talking double JR for all + Vtread.
Yeah... that was FREAKY. It's gotta be a faulty shoe. GO HEELS!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. The plain toe gives it potential as a formal shoe, but since it’s burgundy and in shell, it can’t be formal. It still works so well.

It's a beautiful shoe. I still never got why shell was supposed to be less formal, despite its regular shine.

Well a wholecut isn’t necessarily tux wear and unless it is patent leather it wouldn’t be officially for that anyway. I wear black wholecuts (box calf) with my tux but I have some patent oxfords just in case. If you are talking about formal (white tie) then no they wouldn’t be appropriate. Patent only and if you want to go all out get pumps. Semi-Formal (black tie) works fine for a suit and as I said I wear it with a tux but if you want to be correct it should be patent on the tux. Barney’s sells C&J wholecut in patent. I’d say in burg it’s appropriate for cocktail attire and lower. I know you are talking about Alden’s wholecut though I suppose you can look at the Carlyle in a similar light albeit a less dandy shoe.

Thanks for the info. At what point what a Park Avenue bow to a Carlyle (in black) for an event?

Yes I am referring to the Alden makeup, very astute :) I really like it but I just don't know if it's much different than my Parks in all 3 shell colors. I have other things that I really want in shell, but with the discontinuation I am intrigued and it has been brought up from the "bench" of my want list.

I feel as though a burgundy Carlyle (Alden) versus a burgundy Park serve nearly the same purpose. Again, I know we all have way too many shoes and probably crossover in many cases. Just trying to be a bit practical, if that is even allowed on these pages! :lol:

Modern mens fashion/style reached it's pinnacle in the 1930's and 40's (even with the wartime cutbacks on things like pleats and cuffs). Things have changed a bit, but even Ralph Lauren built a career on mimicking the style of that era. One could still wear a suit made in the 1930's to a business meeting, or an evening event today and would not look out of place, save for a few details, and most wouldn't even notice them. Keep on searching, you will find the book(s). Try used book stores and antique stores.

I completely agree. Some of the old Cary Grant/Stewart movies could step into the boardroom today and look better than most.

I'll find a used book store or antique store nearby and see what I can find on old men's clothes! I love places like that.

YES, Bugatti rules! There were a number of awesome cars made in the 1st 1/2 of the 20th Century, and this is a perfect example of one of the best.

Bugatti is amazing. So much style, panache, and personality in yester-century's cars that we lack nowadays.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah... that was FREAKY. It's gotta be a faulty shoe. GO HEELS!

I’ll always pull for Roy in this matchup. And that shoe blowout felt like some sneaky Duke shenanigans (conspiracy theory engaged)

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3-4 a year, don't you? I wear my Black PA's that have been mirror shined with my tux (which every gentleman should own, even if only worn 1 or 2 times a year)
I agree. I own a basic black tux that may be a bit dated. I'll probably grab a new dinner jacket to update it. But, I do have some black calf Park Aves on deck for the occasion. I will add a pair of opera pumps in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics