1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

Oh no! I really hope they can get that fixed before assembly. Good luck!

2. Thrift Couture

Thrift Couture Distinguished Member

I've been trying to stay away from that email. I'm loving the bison in brown.

3. armedferret

armedferret Distinguished Member

I'll see your lamentations about cars from the early 20th century, and raise you Ettore.

1_b3N7hJOKGIg4hRC3438gEw.jpeg

4. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Distinguished Member

Gents is a plain toe Balmoral like the Carlyle in burgundy (shell) a sartorial anamoly? Is the whole point of a plain toe to be black and super formal to tux wear, etc? I love burgundy on the shoe but I feel like it ruins the shoe for formal wear if it is not black.

I'm looking to get one in shell...

Thanks!! :cheers:

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Hate Dainte. Hard/stiff, feel very strange and unplanted on hard (and especially slippery) surfaces, etc.

Yuck. I'm tolerating it on my Olive Strandmoks, but I'll preemptively resole them to a butyl sole at some point.

6. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Yes and no. The plain toe gives it potential as a formal shoe, but since it’s burgundy and in shell, it can’t be formal. It still works so well.

7. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

So far, I have Dainite on just my oxblood 5A. That makes it my go-to shoe for wet weather with a suit. I don’t wear the shoe without a suit now anyway.

8. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Well a wholecut isn’t necessarily tux wear and unless it is patent leather it wouldn’t be officially for that anyway. I wear black wholecuts (box calf) with my tux but I have some patent oxfords just in case. If you are talking about formal (white tie) then no they wouldn’t be appropriate. Patent only and if you want to go all out get pumps. Semi-Formal (black tie) works fine for a suit and as I said I wear it with a tux but if you want to be correct it should be patent on the tux. Barney’s sells C&J wholecut in patent. I’d say in burg it’s appropriate for cocktail attire and lower. I know you are talking about Alden’s wholecut though I suppose you can look at the Carlyle in a similar light albeit a less dandy shoe.

9. AJ1

AJ1 Senior Member

Any experience with the ae poplar belts? They look a little cleaner than the WB.

10. SonnyUte

SonnyUte Senior Member

Are all butyl soles cold? I mean do they transfer cold to your feet easily?
    I sold a pair of “heritage” Redwing Iron Rangers with butyl soles, in part because they were so cold. Maybe that is not always true?

11. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

How many tux opportunities do you get?

12. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

I haven't experienced this at all. I have two shoes in butyl and haven't felt cold.

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

That hasn't been my experience, but these are Spring-->Fall shoes anyway for me. Butyl (oiled leather sole) has been great. I've got a lot of Alden Commando, a pair of Grant Stone's studded sole (which I like much better - softer compound and more studs that seem to spread out weight better - I don't feel them even on harder surfaces) and a pair of GS boots that the PO had a lugged topy added. So I've got no reason to put up with a sole I don't like for weather capability.

14. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

AE shell belt. I'm sure this surprises no one for me to say this.
    Oh, I thought you'd determined 12EEE was best fit in Macs...
    Lots of wears. I think I've polished once to even out color. Not as severe as the basic side, but I rarely wear now that I have a full compliment of shell belts.

15507168601497893144085146626591.jpg

15. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

First of all, there isn't a gap between athletic shoes and dress shoes, any more than there is a gap between jeans and a tuxedo. Two distinct purposes, deserve two distinct solutions. Anyone who thinks that the MD "shoes" bridge an imaginary gap, deserve to have footwear that self destructs after 3-4 wears. This is the "solution" to a non-existent problem, and a marketing ploy to sell crap to people. Off my soapbox now, carry on.