1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Color 8 CXL, because Rancourt:
    C21418E6-E45C-4203-8424-F1454BB12E5B.jpeg

Rest of it:
    C716BAEA-182D-42CB-ACAF-FCB3DAFF053F.jpeg

2. HCapLonghorn

HCapLonghorn Senior Member

Mine ship today! Must have been a batch of Pats that they finally got right. :lurk:

3. VeritasAequitas

VeritasAequitas Senior Member

Good morning fellas. Cold and wet in ATX today so I’m wearing the shoes I bought to wear on days like this. I tended to the scratch that my door put in them the best way I knew how. It looks okay? Do I need to be concerned about it growing bigger with wear?

Have a good one!

B944FAF9-45EB-47D2-A277-9DA9484ADCA5.jpeg

E58B4F08-2FCA-4516-8D27-52023A9C3856.jpeg

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Tuesday forum pals. #8 cap toe bluchers to replace my old Fairgates that has seen better days.

IMG_4450.jpg

5. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Senior Member

Here are some pics of a pretty cool pair that I just scored on eBay -- a pair of Bayleys, a model that was offered in the late 1960's or early 1970's. At some point AE also offered a buckle boot with the same model name, but these are the shoes. I think I paid $49 for these, that's a fairly high price for older shoes but I almost never find really old models in decent condition in 7.5 3E so I was glad to pay that much.

MdqIgxdkTsqKmcqJx6S66Q.jpg

These shoes have several interesting features. First, they aren't fully leather lined. The rear of the shoe which cups your heel is made of leather, but the portion of the lining around the instep and toes is made of fabric:

3NN37v2%RTSIElMjOuIXrw.jpg

These shoes have white insoles and the lettering on the insole and heel is in old-school fonts:

iwXLU%OvR1ymIwJvcVNqsg.jpg
    rYyzcysjR7eMT9vyK10sRA.jpg

The leather is llama, a fairly generic grain leather with a subtle grain pattern and a fairly matte finish. It's nice. The shoes are in very good shape given their age, it looks like Grandpa wore them a few times in the early to mid 1970s, and then they sat in the closet until 2019 when someone listed them on eBay. I get the impression that these were a mid-priced model, just an ordinary shoe in AE's lineup.

Now for the part that is frankly... a little heartbreaking. The overall level of fit and finish on these shoes is much, much nicer than anything available today. First, let's examine the wheeling on the soles:
    ueSqM2LJQ%SjyNnwcfkqug.jpg

Now look at the overall profile of the shoes-- although this shoe has a 360 degree welt, notice how sleek it appears. Modern AE's aren't as sleek, on modern shoes it's obvious that the upper is sitting on top of the welt. The difference is subtle but I noticed it right away. Here are the Bayleys side by side with my Strands for comparison:

IMG_0119.JPG

Now for the part that really makes me sad. Check out the number of stitches per inch on this generic AE shoe from the 1970's, versus a top-of-the-line shell model from today:

IMG_0120.JPG

And just in case grain leather to shell is not a fair, apples-to-apples comparison, the stitch density on a contemporary pair of grain First Avenues shows the same disparity vis a vis the 1970's Bayleys. In fact, the difference is even greater:

UkQcRSkyQTmLE0lu%plv5A.jpg

I've got to admit -- this is sad. These days a lot of things aren't the way they used to be. The market prefers cheap and disposable items. I have an older pair of all-steel Oster hair clippers that is much nicer and more reliable (and three times heavier) than the cheap plastic ones made today. And I realize that the market for high-quality dress shoes is probably shrinking, now that business casual is pretty much the norm. Also, today AE has to compete with China, Vietnam, etc. This isn't easy. But I'm not going to lie -- the fit and finish on these 1970's AE's is a lot nicer than the fit and finish on the contemporary models. I hope AE can find a way to increase its level of fit and finish.

6. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

It’s actually Bagley not Bayley.

7. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

Yes indeedy, those are brown Bagleys!

8. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Distinguished Member

Very cool, nice pics and write up!

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

My MacNiels have pretty-high SPI stitching, more than my Alden longwings and not far off my old Imperials. Not sure if the new Mac 2.0 has the same though...

10. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Bourbon Strands for today. My shoes are mostly better than everyone else who is at this event. :D 20190219_112557_HDR.jpg

11. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

74943DD2-8DC0-471D-9313-1AF4740D3CF4.jpeg
    D5C2E4A0-5E76-4708-9458-ACFE9D1E4FB3.jpeg
    Greetings, fellow enthusiasts. A delightful day and a favorite combination. J Crew 770 broken in chinos, Lands’ End OCBD and merino v-neck, AE Central Ave belt and the beloved snuff Fullertons. Still love these.

So here’s one that continues to distress me. These shoes fit great and rarely cause me grief. I have five shoes (I think) on the 511 last (same size) and these probably fit the best. The Club Monaco Leeds is also a contender. But the brown Dundees I’ve concluded are basically too small. I’m suspicious about my snuff Dundees and also my Daltons. This is the kind of thing that prevents me from being able to buy much of anything with confidence and one reason I’ve been sitting on the sidelines for the trunk show. I’d rather not have any shoes than f*** up ordering a $750+ pair that I can’t return. The Higgins Mill is the only one I’d probably take the leap for. Still TBD.

12. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Wow what kind of event has such bad people that a pair of shoes is better than they are?!?!

13. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

I get it... shell makes it that much harder to predict size. I can’t even wear the 511...or most of the lasts in the show!

14. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Distinguished Member

Club Monaco suede Leeds-the one that got away from me :(

15. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

I meant their shoes, not the people. There is an older gentleman wearing what might be a pair of vintage Cole Hann shoes. Not sure. I want to take a picture, but I don't want to freak him out. :D