1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Yes, bourbon with a dark navy suit will work fine, 99% of the people where ever you are going or what ever function you are attending won't have shoes 1/2 as nice anyway, so go for it.

2. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Agree it isn't the most formal, that would be black PA's, but he will look good and no one (unless they frequent SF) will even notice.

3. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

That right there is it... most people will be wearing cemented outsole and genuine leather. Just wearing gyw and full grain puts you ahead of most...however, if you have reason to be super conservative, go black or dark brown

4. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Black or dark Brown would be the conservative, traditional approach, and will look great. Just having nice footwear can have an effect, tonight wife's friends are over and husband of one ordered a pair of Alden Indy's while he was here as his wife kept chiding him "why don't you have nice shoes or boots like Jim does", so he dove down the rabbit hole. If I had been wearing cemented Target stuff, we wouldn't have another GYW convert.

5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

If you want to draw attention to your shoes, sure.

If you want your shoes to quietly anchor a good overall conservative look, go with black or dark brown.

In my view, how many other gentlemen have crappy shoes is irrelevant.

6. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Thanks guys. I guess what I'm getting at is, would bourbon be considered the same as wearing walnut with navy? I know that this board is about 50/50 on that topic.

7. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

Uh hmmm. My whole goal of daily dressing is to make sure people think. “Wow, that poor schmuck dresses like shit, but look at those shoes.” Yeah, I said it.

8. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

In my opinion, since bourbon is a little darker, it’s a better choice than walnut.
    Brown, burgundy, black, and chili would be more conservative choices.

9. Count de Monet

If someone rolls an egg off a countertop and it breaks when it hits the floor, it is irrelevant whether the person meant for it to break.

The human eye / brain is drawn to a light colored shoe beneath a dark trouser. More so with a suit. It is inevitable. Like a cardinal in the snow. If the wearer either wants or is fine with that result, great. If that is not the intended effect, wear a dark shoe. That's all I meant.

10. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

11. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

I may end up just wearing it with gray instead of navy. I agree with your statements about the attracting eye contact. I might just do it for that reason though, since this won't be super conservative and my suit will be pretty ordinary. I won't mind drawing a little attention to my shoes, since 90% of the people will be wearing cheap stuff.

12. Count de Monet

Then rock on, brother. Safe travels.

13. MajorDash

MajorDash Well-Known Member

I have a pair of bourbon fifth's that I wear with dark blue/navy suits somewhat regularly. However, my fifth's are pretty dark in comparison to some other pairs of bourbon shoes I've seen.

Also, if you guys were only able to get 1 pair of AE shoes in shell cordovan, what would they be?

14. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Distinguished Member

looking at suede liverpool on clearance with 30% off $397 would take them into the $270 range but felt a twinge so I checked my purchase history and I had bought and returned those boots (at 40% off clearance) 6 months ago

this shit is a sickness.

15. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Distinguished Member

black shell PAs is probably the safe answer but I'd go with brown shell PAs because they will grow more beautiful as they age, brown shell strand would bring jeans into play though

I've been wondering this as well. I'd love to see AE start doing regular trunk events or monthly shell MTO drops like Meermin

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019