• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold rain... Stirling
AD71AFDE-D609-4B60-87A9-A52D34CAF820.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of my pants are navy, gray, beige, tan/khaki, or jeans. My justification for the weave purchase is the great price and I get it now--whereas the shell orders I just placed would be 2-3 months out to receive...I'll count them as a May purchase! In my size, there are walnut and dark chili weaves. I have walnut McGregor, and I love them. But do I need another walnut longwing blucher? Would the weave work in dark chili with my pants?
I think the dark chili would make it a totally different shoe from what you have, especially being a weave. Since you like the McGregor, I think it's a good choice. Those colors all work just fine with dark chili; treat dark chili like you would a darker brown or burgundy. I wouldn't mix them with charcoal, but a mid grey might work? Navy, lighter browns (tans/beige/etc) and jeans can certainly work. I wore mine with jeans as well. I can get some pics of them with those fabric colors over lunch.
Anyone pick up some navy strands? Ever since @polojock615 posted these pictures, I cant get them out of my head. I've seen other models and the navy looks so slick.

View attachment 1124741

View attachment 1124742
I know of at least two prominent members here who did this go around.

AJ1

Reaction score
My work is pretty formal and wear mostly blue and grey dress pants, do you think these would go?

I would have if I didn’t get navy Cornwallis

I think the dark chili would make it a totally different shoe from what you have, especially being a weave. Since you like the McGregor, I think it's a good choice. Those colors all work just fine with dark chili; treat dark chili like you would a darker brown or burgundy. I wouldn't mix them with charcoal, but a mid grey might work? Navy, lighter browns (tans/beige/etc) and jeans can certainly work. I wore mine with jeans as well. I can get some pics of them with those fabric colors over lunch.

I know of at least two prominent members here who did this go around.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My work is pretty formal and wear mostly blue and grey dress pants, do you think these would go?
Blue is crazy versatile in a shoe. According to Bespoke Unit, it was de rigueur to wear navy shoes with navy suits, but I haven't seen that anywhere else. It's a bit more bold to go with navy shoes than black or brown, which is why I think the Cornwallis is a better choice than Strand; the Strand is a lot louder of a shoe with all the brogueing and the cap toe. I think the navy Cornwallis is perfect with grey trousers and a navy jacket--just a step more bold than a black or brown shoe. Whether it is ok is about the environment. Is the workplace so conservative that a navy shoe would cause problems?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I ordered a pair of brown shell Leeds on Sunday and after 36 hours reading this thread I just added brown shell Cornwallis and brown shell Higgins Mill with commando sole

you F***ers are a bad influence. I hope I made the right call opting for the commando sole on the HM.

I'll be sure to post pics when I receive the order

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I ordered a pair of brown shell Leeds on Sunday and after 36 hours reading this thread I just added brown shell Cornwallis and brown shell Higgins Mill with commando sole

you F***ers are a bad influence. I hope I made the right call opting for the commando sole on the HM.

I'll be sure to post pics when I receive the order
I ordered the same brown HM with commando. I got the burgundy 1A with double JR for the times where that is better, too. Commando should be really comfy.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My other concern is the weave is so casual that dark chili is an odd color to match the shoe. Would it be mostly a fall-only shoe? Or also ok in summer or spring?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. Today the rotation pulled up the rare Mason Imperial shell LWB. I have literally only seen one other pair on Ebay and the threads in the past 3 years. Very dark brown. Darker than the brown shell AE uses. I would like to get them next to the cigar color Alden uses to see what differences there are. I do like the medallion design.

IMG_4412.jpg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown pebble Macneil's are ordered. I saw the same makeup in my local outlet (no Poron and leather sole vs Poron and Dainite on the Nordstrom shoe) and really liked it.

I thought for a bit that it may be a bit redundant with my Kiowa but that has a more chili look and is the Strand pattern on lug sole.

Are Nordstrom Rack AE's 1st quality? (that's not always saying much).

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use VSC on my brown cxl HMs. Generally treat this pair similar to shell from an upkeep perspective. Just wipe and brush, with the infrequent bit of VSC when they look like they need a drink. Here is a repeat of my pair from a couple weeks ago - for this pic it has probably been a couple months since I last conditioned them with VSC.
20190118_072154-jpg.1109250

Same for me. I love the aging CXL does with this process

AJ1

Reaction score
They look dark enough where it wont create too much distraction. I've seen people wear walnut strands so think navy will be fine. Cornwallis is a great looking shoe as well and likely a safer option. Either one would be great just not sure how these would fit into rotation.

Blue is crazy versatile in a shoe. According to Bespoke Unit, it was de rigueur to wear navy shoes with navy suits, but I haven't seen that anywhere else. It's a bit more bold to go with navy shoes than black or brown, which is why I think the Cornwallis is a better choice than Strand; the Strand is a lot louder of a shoe with all the brogueing and the cap toe. I think the navy Cornwallis is perfect with grey trousers and a navy jacket--just a step more bold than a black or brown shoe. Whether it is ok is about the environment. Is the workplace so conservative that a navy shoe would cause problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads