1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

Hope so, its a handsome boot. Pity those bgs weren't made in a standard run of widths.

2. AEShoeMan

AEShoeMan Senior Member

Ah... La Vida Loca... I never understood before but thanks for explaining to me so I can finally understand!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

3. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Just a heads up they don’t operate the international site the same way so it isn’t taking promo codes etc. Call a store and they will take care of you, I’ll suggest Ashley’s shop in Charleston. They will take care of you.

4. cardsfan89

cardsfan89 Senior Member

Thanks @jet-stream, @madhat, and @Shoenut for the feedback! Sounds like it's plenty versatile.

Shoenut - 4 of my 6 shell pairs are burgundy, so as much as I love it I think I'll eliminated it. Leaning brown since I just ordered the navy Strands. Crucial life decisions...

5. g e

g e Well-Known Member

30% off takes it to about $187. Really glad to have my walnut pair. 4th try was the charm:

Used on eBay, tongue way off to side

Factory seconds, sloppy stitching and Crazy misaligned front quarters

Factory firsts - not true to to size had to lace until eyelets touched

Factory firsts second try , they got the size right with a few glitches I can live with.

6. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

You would think that an SA would know the sales. When in the store on Saturday I asked an SA what the price was and she looked it up and told me $267. I knew it was $337 just a few days before and assumed she gave me best price. I spent the rest of the day downtown feeling good about my purchase. I get home after 6pm to find out I should have gotten $187. I got a touch aggravated and just purchased it online for $187. The $267 purchase is going back needless to say.

7. g e

g e Well-Known Member

I have no idea why leiden weave is so comfortable. Perhaps a sympathetic last to my difficult to fit foot.

I haven’t worn them out of the house yet. I’ll wait until we get springlike weather.

8. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

tenor.png

9. g e

g e Well-Known Member

After a couple of phone exchanges with the team in the Brookfield outlet store, it’s unlikely I’ll ever buy a second again.

I was assured by the SA the burnished brown McAllister’s were perfect. Great price so send them on.

They didn’t charge my card for at least a week and then finally I received a ship notice. Immediately unboxed upon receipt and did not even bother to try them on:

They were obviously used shoes. Creases, one sole scuffed. And the left shoe had the “Penis Toe”. My wife noticed it from across the room.

Called the store and eventually spoke with the store manager “jerry” who said he’d waive the restocking fee. Have not seen the credit yet for this or the Leiden weave I returned to corporate. I know it can take 5+ days after they receive the return.

The poor quality and outright misrepresentation just makes it not worth the trouble.

10. g e

g e Well-Known Member

Mine are only worn to weddings and funerals. So far 2 of each. And once for Easter and then an interview calling for full on suit and tie.

Times have changed. I used to suit up every day. Now I work from home and don’t even have to wear pants....

11. ace13x

This is what I thought also and was going to suggest Kristen in Paramus. I have a feeling 1) the website doesn't work properly (has it ever?), 2) the call in customer service is clueless (definitely).

12. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Suits are definitely a rarity in my business. I also only wear my PAs and 5As with suits. That’s probably 5 or 6 times a year.

13. cardsfan89

cardsfan89 Senior Member

I've never done business with the Brookfield store, so I can't (and, personally, wouldn't) comment on any of their associates, but I think your experience highlights the importance of having a relationship with an SA who you trust. I purchased many shoes from Kristle back when Jville was open and she recommended against several purchases due to the condition of the shoe I was interested in. Kristen in Paramus has done the same in the ~6 months I've done business with her. I can't imagine you having a similar issue with the Kristens and Ashleys of AE.

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

Greetings from 80 degree Florida. Brown shell Townleys. Hotel carpet shot + bonus balcony shot. I'm gonna hate going back to the northern climes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ace13x

@g e

This exactly. I've gone to Paramus (Kristen) since they opened. By now she knows very well what would be acceptable to ME, which could be very different to what is acceptable to someone else. I'm also fortunate I'm relatively close and can pick up in person. On my latest purchase prior to the trunk show, she had 4 pairs brought in, both firsts and seconds. I wasn't super happy with the first pair (2nds), she held on to them and ordered a pair of firsts (but said she didn't think I would like them), I checked them out anyway and she was right, in the end he ordered another first and another second. I had 4 pairs spread out in the store trying them out. Settled on the second pair of firsts. I actually liked the looks of the second pair of seconds best, but the fit was better on the firsts.

The upshot, none of that would have been possible if I didn't have a prior history with the same SA.