• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
I mentioned this while at the AE shop a couple weeks ago. The store manager corrected me to say that it isn't necessarily true. He said that they will reuse welts if they are in good shape. The only question is what criteria are used for that determination, though that is also true for the various cobblers out there.
The website disagrees with him.

F70E369C-AE47-4823-97BE-17140935E7AF.jpeg

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man, 5+ years ago i started wearing a Patagonia jacket and now seems the entire world has them. not that i'm a trend setter, but this trend is just really old.

same thing with Patagonia vests - saw two identical to the one I've worn for years at lunch the other day (and no, I don't work in mid-town NYC)

I think i need to switch to Vineyard Vines or something else haha.
It's funny, but that is the opposite of my experience. In the late 90s and early 00s I felt North Face and Patagonia had roughly equivalent cache. Now it seems to me that Patagonia has maintained its premium pricing and exclusivity but I see North Face stuff everywhere

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny, but that is the opposite of my experience. In the late 90s and early 00s I felt North Face and Patagonia had roughly equivalent cache. Now it seems to me that Patagonia has maintained its premium pricing and exclusivity but I see North Face stuff everywhere
North face makes a lot of direct-to-outlet products

mak1277

Reaction score
North Face sold out to a big public company, Patagonia stayed independent.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
North Face sold out to a big public company, Patagonia stayed independent.
I've got a lot of patagonia base layers. Freebies from Afghanistan in our clothing conex. Not sure I'd actually buy their stuff unless it was on the REI outlet though; far too many competitors with better pricing and equal quality.

Pretty much all made in the same chinese factory anyway, probably by some of the 3 million plus political prisoners in slave labor concentration camps. :hide:

pbrandes

Reaction score
For day two of fuddy duddy week, the Lasalle in dark chili.

View attachment 1292205
Are you sure those are dark chili? As I recall, they were the last models still offered in the lighter original chili when they went out of production. In any case, I find that mine are very comfortable, fuddy duddy or no...

IMG_2718.JPG

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure those are dark chili? As I recall, they were the last models still offered in the lighter original chili when they went out of production. In any case, I find that mine are very comfortable, fuddy duddy or no...

View attachment 1292286
They are indeed, but to be truthful, there's no significant difference from the dark chili and chili with the Lasalle. Mine is a little bit of dark burnishing, but you can find this on the regular chili Lasalle as well. Yours look like they don't have the burnishing. And yes, the Lasalle super comfortable. I wish the made the Delray with a poron insole.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's your expanded musical horizon for the week.

(or in other words, here's some really weird shit I found as i traveled down a now-regrettable rabbit hole on youtube)

ptfly

Reaction score
I've got a lot of patagonia base layers. Freebies from Afghanistan in our clothing conex. Not sure I'd actually buy their stuff unless it was on the REI outlet though; far too many competitors with better pricing and equal quality.

Pretty much all made in the same chinese factory anyway, probably by some of the 3 million plus political prisoners in slave labor concentration camps. :hide:
Patagonia's culture is the opposite of that. Google their fair trade initiative, etc. There is no other apparel brand of this scale doing the exact opposite of what you are implying.
I have spent a lot of time in garment factories across the globe for more than 3 decades. There are sweatshops in LA, italy, etc. Also, all chinese factories are not the "same".

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patagonia's culture is the opposite of that. Google their fair trade initiative, etc. There is no other apparel brand of this scale doing the exact opposite of what you are implying.
I have spent a lot of time in garment factories across the globe for more than 3 decades. There are sweatshops in LA, italy, etc. Also, all chinese factories are not the "same".
Isn't the history of the garment industry littered with sweatshops, even when the USA had a huge garment industry?

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay tuned for details tonight at 10.
IMG_20191203_162403.jpg

ptfly

Reaction score
Isn't the history of the garment industry littered with sweatshops, even when the USA had a huge garment industry?
Things changed after the triangle fire tragedy in this country.
There will always be shady people in all manufacturing that put max profit over human rights, safety, environmental concerns, etc. That is not tied to one country.
When a sizable brand goes into factories it it their responsibility to inspect thoroughly (time records, fire exits, conditions, ages, etc). If there are red flags you don't employ the factory. Allowing sub-contracting would put the brand at higher risk.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40