• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

artisanal

Reaction score
My trunk show order showed up today. Overall I think I'm happy with them but there are a couple of items that I'm not sure about. I'm curious what other folks think. Are these items I should be concerned about? The photos below are straight out of the box. I haven't brushed them or done anything to them yet.

View attachment 1291791

The left boot has a strange line of some sort of residue behind the cap. I'm assuming this will brush out.
View attachment 1291792

The welt varies a lot in width. In some places it seems much wider than I expected and on one toe the stitching is right on the edge.
View attachment 1291794

View attachment 1291798

There is a blackish fuzzy spot on the inside of the left boot
View attachment 1291799

The sole on the right boot was not well centered and the stitching goes through the divots.
View attachment 1291808

I don't want to be a complainer but I also don't want to let things go now that I'll regret later.

After taking these photos I tried them on and the fit feels perfect. Overall, when I step back and look at the boots as a whole I think I like them a lot.
View attachment 1291809

Those make seconds and thirds I've gotten from AE look like firsts. Definitely a no-go for me.

WNovizar

Reaction score
My trunk show order showed up today. Overall I think I'm happy with them but there are a couple of items that I'm not sure about. I'm curious what other folks think. Are these items I should be concerned about? The photos below are straight out of the box. I haven't brushed them or done anything to them yet.

View attachment 1291791

The left boot has a strange line of some sort of residue behind the cap. I'm assuming this will brush out.
View attachment 1291792

The welt varies a lot in width. In some places it seems much wider than I expected and on one toe the stitching is right on the edge.
View attachment 1291794

View attachment 1291798

View attachment 1291799

The sole on the right boot was not well centered and the stitching goes through the divots.
View attachment 1291808

I don't want to be a complainer but I also don't want to let things go now that I'll regret later.

After taking these photos I tried them on and the fit feels perfect. Overall, when I step back and look at the boots as a whole I think I like them a lot.
View attachment 1291809

The sole warrants a seconds pricing

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I didn't, but its kind of a cool idea. Someone posted about blue polish on black a few days ago. Was that @Shoenut ? Where would one find blue polish, I wonder.
I have blue polish from saphir, it's navy blue, every time I polish my black wing tip nomads I use the blue. Not sure that I've seen the effect that people say you get from it, but it's still so dark you can't notice it's not black. I'm sure with time and layers maybe I'll see the cool color change effect.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kicking off the Holiday season with some in the wild Jinglebellmok's

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole warrants a seconds pricing

Lots of good things going on with those, but unfortunately that outsole would also drive me crazy - I think I'm in agreement with you.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought this pair of shoes with this pair of pants in mind. The color changes quite a bit.
AE1CA9B3-C9F0-4ED4-AEC1-074ED1A734A8.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday will mark 12 weeks for my first-hour purchase of two TS19.2 orders. One of those expected orders is a navy shell dalton. In honor of my hope to get it soon, I’m wearing my 30%-off navy shell Apple Watch band from Ashland’s recent sale. Oh, and navy suede nomads to match, since I have no navy shell shoes still....

00D8520C-9E30-4E15-902B-95BD8E699260.jpeg
image.jpg

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1291791

View attachment 1291792

View attachment 1291794

View attachment 1291798

View attachment 1291799

View attachment 1291808

View attachment 1291809
The second photo and the fuzzy spot are the only issues to me. The sole is fine it may not be perfectly centered but if it feels normal on foot it will not impact you in any way. Get some VSC or Saphir Renovateur and apply it to the areas impacted with a cloth to try and get whatever it is off. Can even try with just a damp cloth. Then brush. If that doesn’t fix it send them back. It is sloppy, but if fixable keep them. They will not (and shouldn’t) offer you seconds pricing they will replace them. This is of course how it should be so you don’t have people chasing seconds pricing with every blemish minor or not.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of black Surrey Derby’s from the Storm Welt collection made from Horween Sonoma leather. Sadly I will be returning them as I just can’t dial in the fit (10D is too big but 9.5D too small).
But that leather... is awesome! It’s a matte finish and very supple, just melts on the foot. Works very nicely for a casual shoe.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of black Surrey Derby’s from the Storm Welt collection made from Horween Sonoma leather. Sadly I will be returning them as I just can’t dial in the fit (10D is too big but 9.5D too small).
But that leather... is awesome! It’s a matte finish and very supple, just melts on the foot. Works very nicely for a casual shoe.
Curious as to why you didn't try 9.5E? That may be the ticket to get the correct amount of volume inside the shoe.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second photo and the fuzzy spot are the only issues to me. The sole is fine it may not be perfectly centered but if it feels normal on foot it will not impact you in any way. Get some VSC or Saphir Renovateur and apply it to the areas impacted with a cloth to try and get whatever it is off. Can even try with just a damp cloth. Then brush. If that doesn’t fix it send them back. It is sloppy, but if fixable keep them. They will not (and shouldn’t) offer you seconds pricing they will replace them. This is of course how it should be so you don’t have people chasing seconds pricing with every blemish minor or not.
I agree with this statement. Even though I know you guys spend a lot on shell, and grailed Trunk Show make-ups, I feel like most people are way to picky. These are for the most part man made shoes, not machine made, there are going to be imperfections. If you look up at my picture of my jinglebellmoks I have on today, the bottom most lace on the left shoe is sideways. There were also stray threads on the wing of one of the shoes, (which a lighter fixed). And to be honest the coloring is not consistent throughout the shoes, but that's what gives them character.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Curious as to why you didn't try 9.5E? That may be the ticket to get the correct amount of volume inside the shoe.

It's one of AE's increasing line-up of shoes that only comes in D width. As a person that wears a non-D width, I don't like that development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads