• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once spilled a bunch of AE walnut cream polish into my walnut Leeds shoes many years back. If you put a huge blob of that stuff on your shoes, it will stain them permanently. I don't recommend this approach, but it can work. Saphir is probably a better way to go. Maybe try applying the polish while the conditioner is still damp on the shoe? Sometimes that helps.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That store is in the Twin Cities (about an hour away from me). Never been there but wasn't aware they even did special makeups. Congrats on them, very nice.
Thanks I’m excited. Apparently Twill does one custom makeup per “season.” I’ll assume that means fashion season and therefore two per year. I was tipped off on this model otherwise I would have never known about them.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on a dark(er) brown suede longwing with wool dress pants for business under anything short of a suit?

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Woofmang--

Thanks for chiming in. I have put on 15 applications now of the cream polish, and the "spot" just isn't going away. (It isn't a scuff, per se--it's an area where much of the color has worn off, but it feels perfectly smooth to the touch.)

I called a guy from work who is a shoe fanatic and ex-military, and he says sometimes you need to use a darker color polish for areas where the dye has worn off...
Looks to me like the burnishing has been rubbed off. You can either remove all the burnishing from the cap or try with a darker polish. I'd say medium brown and if that doesn't work you have to remove and then build up with darker polishes.

The walnut color in the AE shoe cream polish is the same color as the unburnished part of your shoe so it won't do much to hide scuffs on the cap or heel.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL, excellent reference to Biblical figures! You are a well rounded man.

1 year?? That's crazy talk, why such a long wait for a regular shoe?

I have a pretty average foot so I am lucky to have my run of the place choosing which shoe/last combo I want in the closet. I feel for guys like you.
A year is a bit long, even for Alden, but NOT unheard of with them (it's happened to me...in fact when I got notice of them being ready, I had forgotten I pre-ordered them 11 months before :) )

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No issue with criss cross lacing just if you are going to go with the bar on top at the first eyelet row the lace needs to go in from above on all rows following. The way it is now it looks like a giant space between first and second row. As far as vamps and all that jazz and caps etc Alden does them better except the strand. I no longer have fifth aves or PAs. Alden got nothing on the adelaides though. Rutledge and Cornwallis FTW.
Had to think about it for a second but I get what you mean now! I'll have to swap it out before wearing.

I need to try the Cornwallis again. I felt like the 11 was too short and the 11.5 still was too aggressive in the taper for my feet. It's the one style that's not in my closet but should be.

I'd do it all day long
Maaan you're tempting me. I'm going to have to consult the wife about this one.... Not style wise, just money wise! 💰

‘yes I used to wear dark brown suede captoe oxfords with slacks and even blue suits and it was a great combination. Still looking for a replacement pair of dark brown suede bluchers or captoes.
I'm sweating real bad thinking about it.... :uhoh:

I can feel my wallet itching to escape again!

WEASELS!!!

A year is a bit long, even for Alden, but NOT unheard of with them (it's happened to me...in fact when I got notice of them being ready, I had forgotten I pre-ordered them 11 months before :) )
Hahaha well that's when you know you have too many shoes and things on order when they slip your mind!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks I’m excited. Apparently Twill does one custom makeup per “season.” I’ll assume that means fashion season and therefore two per year. I was tipped off on this model otherwise I would have never known about them.
Their website is a bit "lacking".

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had to think about it for a second but I get what you mean now! I'll have to swap it out before wearing.

I need to try the Cornwallis again. I felt like the 11 was too short and the 11.5 still was too aggressive in the taper for my feet. It's the one style that's not in my closet but should be.

Maaan you're tempting me. I'm going to have to consult the wife about this one.... Not style wise, just money wise! 💰

I'm sweating real bad thinking about it.... :uhoh:

I can feel my wallet itching to escape again!

WEASELS!!!

Hahaha well that's when you know you have too many shoes and things on order when they slip your mind!
It is verification that at times I DO have too many shoes/boots/clothing on order and they do slip my mind. I have made a conscious effort to pare down this past year (and I now keep a spreadsheet of pre-order things). Currently have 2 boots, and a couple pair of MTM pants and shirts and that is all, for me that's paring down.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is verification that at times I DO have too many shoes/boots/clothing on order and they do slip my mind. I have made a conscious effort to pare down this past year (and I now keep a spreadsheet of pre-order things). Currently have 2 boots, and a couple pair of MTM pants and shirts and that is all, for me that's paring down.
Sometimes I've ordered things from different places (clothes, etc.) and forget they're coming in and what I've done as well. You're in good company :p

Hey, you have to start somewhere!!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes I've ordered things from different places (clothes, etc.) and forget they're coming in and what I've done as well. You're in good company :p

Hey, you have to start somewhere!!
I would guess that, here on SF, it's more common than not. However in the general populace, it seems insane to actually pre-order something, or have it made to measure, and wait. I have ZERO friends who have actually had something made for them, to their measurements, and/or pre-ordered shoes or boots. That's why I love you guys here on SF, you all "get it"

lemmy127

Reaction score
Their website is a bit "lacking".
Definitely. I know it costs money to do, but it seems like a lot of seemingly great menswear shops are leaving profits on the table by not having e-commerce functionality. O’Connell’s in Buffalo only has my business because of their website. Same with J. Press, H. Stockton, and Unionmade (RIP). And I’m sure it’s just a matter of time with Cable Car Clothiers, The Andover Shop (once theirs gets revamped), Milworks, and Sid Mashburn. Places like Twill don’t have a chance at my business.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely. I know it costs money to do, but it seems like a lot of seemingly great menswear shops are leaving profits on the table by not having e-commerce functionality. O’Connell’s in Buffalo only has my business because of their website. Same with J. Press, H. Stockton, and Unionmade (RIP). And I’m sure it’s just a matter of time with Cable Car Clothiers, The Andover Shop (once theirs gets revamped), Milworks, and Sid Mashburn. Places like Twill don’t have a chance at my business.
I have to agree on this, I might do business with them, were I to live in Minneapolis area, but won't do e-commerce as they don't make it very easy. Guys like Ealdwine in Raleigh (couple of SF dudes) came out of the box with a good e-commerce website at their inception last fall, so they get my business. I have done business with Andover shop, J.Press, and Stockton before, so may again, but I'm kind of landlocked in the middle of nowhere, 2.5 hrs to downtown Chicago, 2 hrs to downtown Indianapolis, 3 hrs to downtown St. Louis, and no decent menswear shop around here, so most of my stuff is done via internet now. I do have a MTM guy near Minneapolis, but he and I met in person a few years ago and he got my measurements, which thankfully haven't changed (benefit of getting older) so I have trousers/ shirts and if I need them suits, made by him. Sometimes I wish I lived in a major metropolitan area, to make access to decent menswear easier, but then I look out my back window and see the creek and lake and trees and..............

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a thread devoted to Wolverine 1K's? I got tired of searching the Streetwear and Denim threads after about 15 minutes so thought I would just ask here, as the AE thread people seem the most knowledgeable on the entire SF
Did a search. This was all I could find
That is the one. The original poster only had 4 posts on SF and deleted his content. He caught flak for his "Dad Jeans" and deleted his posts and did not return. Lots of good content in that thread.

I never did go with the Wolverine CXL instead went with the AE Bayfield in CXL. CXL develops character over time with cleaning and treatment.

1574311432734.png

For the Wolverine I went with the 744 which was actually made by AE in a unique color of shell.

Been awhile, so everyone is posting top 5 AE favorites? That would be hard, very hard although today was thinking I should thin the herd done some. But don't think I can bring myself to do it. In fact need to stay out of here, after looking through this for the last hour now I have some new ones to check out. No I don't. Yes I do. No I don't...

Maybe take a shortcut and post Burgundy, Black, Walnut, Dark Brown, and Cappuccino shell Dundee's and be done with it. Would not be lying.

But that would leave out the snuff and MD x AE. And I do like Cappacunio shell.

But most of my shell and calf is burgundy.

Too much mental anguish limiting it down to 5 and am going to go hide again before I end up buying something else.

No regrets. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.