• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 6: Todd Shelton Gift certificate courtesy of Todd Shelton

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a $500 gift certificate Todd Shelton Gift certificate courtesy of Todd Shelton Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1943 last

(pretty much the same as the 333)
Great, thanks for clearing it up for me. What is the difference? The 1943 is an updated last?

I forget, do you prefer 1943 over the 65 for fit or just like to play the field? (I know you own a few 65 lasted shoes...)

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks for clearing it up for me. What is the difference? The 1943 is an updated last?

I forget, do you prefer 1943 over the 65 for fit or just like to play the field? (I know you own a few 65 lasted shoes...)
The 43 is kind of like they took the 333 and chopped it down to Brannock length. It's one of AE's shortest lasts, in contrast to the 333, which was the longest I knew of in recent years. I prefer the 65 over the 43, because the 43 has a wider heel and waist. I prefer the 333 for the same reason. But I fit well into all three of these lasts, although they are wildly different.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mini-review on the new Surrey Cap Toes:

They're pretty comfortable right out of the box; a little stiff, but that's to be expected from the commando sole.

The leather of the uppers is quite nice; soft and supple. The boots had a hang tag that said "Horween Weatherproof Sonoma Leather" (or something like that; it definitely said "Horween" and "Sonoma". I tried to find out more about this leather, but it's not listed on the Horween tannage list, so no luck so far).

Like the HM, they run big, width-wise, and maybe a bit short: I'm a Brannock 9.5 E, but I got these in the same size as my Higgies (10D; fitted in my local AE store when they had an SA that knew what he was doing); the length is perfect, and they're plenty wide.

The workmanship is a little iffy in spots (like many of their made in the DR products tend to be), but no major flaws or deal-breakers.

Overall, I like them a lot; I think they look good, they fit me well, and I'll bet that they're going to be super-comfortable once they break in (I also think they'll develop an awesome patina as time goes by).

One more pic (from the end of the day, including ugly office carpet):

20191119_surreys2.jpg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MajorDash

Reaction score
love it and love SS. I stop in the Chicago one every once in a while
This particular one is already sold out, but I called the Chicago store today and the guy working there got the store in New York to sell me thier display model in a few days when they do their changeover. The last of that model in my size in the US. Still deciding on it, but it looks super cool.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 138 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 260 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 125 15.8%
  • 31 - 40