• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dundee for a long Friday.
8AA99E94-EFB0-46D5-BB67-FC4E09E3BA3C.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had FedEx pickup my bourbon shell Strands yesterday. I normally would just go drop them off, but the FedEx down the street from my home will refuse any prepackaged box. You'll get a speech about how it's "improperly packaged" and "too much wiggle room inside the box." They then ask for an additional $9.00 to mail the AE shoes. I called them out on this bullshit in the past and they wouldn't budge. I learned recently that these stores struggle to make a profit, but scamming customers is not the right way to do this. Has anyone else had their local FedEx do this? I sent an email to FedEx and I DID receive a response. They claimed it went to the district manager, but who knows if it actually did.
Have had a similar "conversation" with the local UPS store, which is privately owned and not part of UPS. They offered to re-box my product, but I had to buy the box and materials. Took the thing to the post office, they took it no questions.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have had a similar "conversation" with the local UPS store, which is privately owned and not part of UPS. They offered to re-box my product, but I had to buy the box and materials. Took the thing to the post office, they took it no questions.
I’ve never had issues with either of anyOf the dozens of those stores in my area

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve never had issues with either of anyOf the dozens of those stores in my area
I've only had issues with the one place, the others in the area have been nice, pleasant and helpful. So it's not endemic to the type of store.
And on a shoe note to keep it on point....wore the Alpine's last night to walk the dog. The Vibram ice grip sole really does grip on wet ice, it's weird but I think one would have to purposefully try and slip with it. I have been reading about it and the sole is supposed to keep it's grippy-ness for 200 miles of wear, that's a lot of dog walks.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had FedEx pickup my bourbon shell Strands yesterday. I normally would just go drop them off, but the FedEx down the street from my home will refuse any prepackaged box. You'll get a speech about how it's "improperly packaged" and "too much wiggle room inside the box." They then ask for an additional $9.00 to mail the AE shoes. I called them out on this bullshit in the past and they wouldn't budge. I learned recently that these stores struggle to make a profit, but scamming customers is not the right way to do this. Has anyone else had their local FedEx do this? I sent an email to FedEx and I DID receive a response. They claimed it went to the district manager, but who knows if it actually did.
I went to a FedEx store once that I don't normally go to (it was on my way to the office) to drop off a pair of Maui Jims that were being sent back for repair, and the clerk gave me a rash of sh*t about how they were packaged, etc... I told him that they were packaged the exact same way that they were sent to me, and if the packaging was good enough for Maui Jim, it was good enough for me. He finally accepted the package (after grumpily putting about a half a roll of packing tape around it - at no extra charge). I use the FedEx store closer to my house now, even though it's the opposite way from my route to the office.

And I often wear a pair of AE shoes or boots while doing so. ;)

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, of the two mom and pop shipping places near me, one has appalling customer service. The clerks are rude and they charge $2 to drop off a pre-paid, pre-packaged shipment. They aren't supposed to do this, but they do it anyway. As soon as I discovered that I just turned on my heel and left and drove to a different shipping place to drop off my package. I did go back to them earlier this year to get fingerprinted because they have a livescan machine, are close to me, and charged the same prices that everyone else was charging. (California lawyers all had to get re-fingerprinted this year -- I guess too many of us are robbing liquor stores in our spare time.) I think I paid $40. Last week my wife went in to have hers done and they charged her $70. Now I'll never return. The other place nearest to me has excellent service, so I use them for everything.

I am endlessly patient with small businesses, especially those trying to eke out a not-very-lucrative living. I'm the kind of guy who leaves really big tips, not because I want to be a big shot but because it's a kindness and a way to do something nice for a person who works. But this doesn't extend to getting scammed, if someone tries to pick my pocket I'm never doing business with them again.
See, you’re doing this wrong. You should’ve punched the rude clerk in the nose, called 911, and then gotten finger printed for free.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only had issues with the one place, the others in the area have been nice, pleasant and helpful. So it's not endemic to the type of store.
And on a shoe note to keep it on point....wore the Alpine's last night to walk the dog. The Vibram ice grip sole really does grip on wet ice, it's weird but I think one would have to purposefully try and slip with it. I have been reading about it and the sole is supposed to keep it's grippy-ness for 200 miles of wear, that's a lot of dog walks.
I’m sure I could manage to fall. They sound like they do their job! 200 miles goes super quick though!

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm going to have put on the Sturgis when they go to Nashville this spring.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 255 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.7%
  • 31 - 40