• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into the store in Indy today to pick up a bunch of shoe bags I ordered (I got the bags for the individual shoes instead of the pair). While I was in the store, I saw that a someone had ordered in a 16 AAA shoe to try on. Holy cow, that was a big shoe.

Also, scanning Poshmark... Are these shell? They look like shell in the pictures. The seller is probably inactive though.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into the store in Indy today to pick up a bunch of shoe bags I ordered (I got the bags for the individual shoes instead of the pair). While I was in the store, I saw that a someone had ordered in a 16 AAA shoe to try on. Holy cow, that was a big shoe.

Also, scanning Poshmark... Are these shell? They look like shell in the pictures. The seller is probably inactive though.
Hard to tell. I'm guessing no.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden or Carmina order?
In this case Alden, but I do have a Carmina being remade as well!

Looks like a shell SMU from the "glory days"

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually vote yes.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In this case Alden, but I do have a Carmina being remade as well!
You are saying that the other shoe companies are not perfect? What an outrage! You, you! MUG..
I just learned this new insult courtesy of a fellow SF member.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Tupelo is growing on me. Maybe it ain’t just for crappy weather.
D4970A35-BAFA-4C7A-ABAB-E754963F02D1.jpeg

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I rarely receive the catalogs. When I do it's typically well after everyone else here seems to get one.
In your case, I do wonder if they send any catalogs out of country...

You don't have to purchase shell just to be "in the club". Some people aren't into shell (or spending even more money than a nice pair of calf), and there's nothing wrong with that. Calf and suede are excellent leathers as well! I think it would be worth it if you ever get a chance to spend some time in person with shell to do so before buying any.
So I do have an FPO address, which is a U.S address, and AE does mail my shoes to me so I don't see why they wouldn't send a catalog, but it's NBD, I surf their site enough at work anyway, and a coupon code would just make me spend more money.

As to your second response, because of the cost of shell, you are right, if I do get a shell pair it will be after I either am super confident in sizing on a particular model, or if I can get to a store once stateside again. For right now though I can't justify the cost of shell, hell my wife already thinks I'm crazy with the prices of non-shell shoes.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every bit as cool, if you ask me. That model of HM is sure to be a new classic.

Usually I get them, other times I don't. Only sometimes do they include a coupon code. Don't despair, the codes are only effective on full price items, so you aren't missing out on a once in a lifetime deal.

Shell is cool, but not everyone likes it. Though to your point about price, with the quantity you acquired, you could have easily bought a full price shell boot during the trunk show.

Nice pull from the archives!
I've been lurking this board for a little while, finally decided to join around TS19.2 time frame, I debated ordering a pair, however, phone calls back stateside from here either need to be accomplished from work, or I would need someone in the store to use WhatsApp. So this, plus not being confident in sizing kept me from participating in the TS. (didn't want to wast money on non-returnable shoes of this price range)

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a shipping notification for (what I believe are) my chili Strands. Should be here by next Tuesday!

Edit: or maybe not... taking a closer look it seems like the package is from the e-returns department. I returned a pair of "brown nubuck Strandmoks" because they literally sent me a Mackey belt instead of the shoe I wanted. Maybe instead of processing a refund they're sending me the Strandmoks?

I guess we'll find out...
Wearing my Brown Nubuck Strandmok's today and absolutely love them!

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have any recommendation for thicker socks?
Seen a post in one of the other threads on here, the guy recommended Darn Tough Socks. He said he has them in different cushioning, and depending how tight or loose the shoe fits, wearing different cushioning of socks can make the shoe fit more perfectly.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would remove the burnishing even if you are going to blend in with a Cordavan Creme. The scrapped off area is too abrupt to blend as is. I would use the least harsh cleaner that I have. Renovateur may be the ticket to pull enough burnishing off to give you a better chance at blending the area back to an acceptable level.
I'm new to the polishing game, but I second this. My Calf Daltons got a scrap similar to this riding my motorcycle to work, just in the burnishing not into the leather. I used some brown cream to blend it in, which it did, but I can still notice the mark, just less so. Someone from a few feet away wouldn't notice, but someone who really likes your shoes and looks at them more than a glance will.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had FedEx pickup my bourbon shell Strands yesterday. I normally would just go drop them off, but the FedEx down the street from my home will refuse any prepackaged box. You'll get a speech about how it's "improperly packaged" and "too much wiggle room inside the box." They then ask for an additional $9.00 to mail the AE shoes. I called them out on this bullshit in the past and they wouldn't budge. I learned recently that these stores struggle to make a profit, but scamming customers is not the right way to do this. Has anyone else had their local FedEx do this? I sent an email to FedEx and I DID receive a response. They claimed it went to the district manager, but who knows if it actually did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads