• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 6: Todd Shelton Gift certificate courtesy of Todd Shelton

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a $500 gift certificate Todd Shelton Gift certificate courtesy of Todd Shelton Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden or Carmina order?
In this case Alden, but I do have a Carmina being remade as well!
Went into the store in Indy today to pick up a bunch of shoe bags I ordered (I got the bags for the individual shoes instead of the pair). While I was in the store, I saw that a someone had ordered in a 16 AAA shoe to try on. Holy cow, that was a big shoe.

Also, scanning Poshmark... Are these shell? They look like shell in the pictures. The seller is probably inactive though.
Looks like a shell SMU from the "glory days"

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into the store in Indy today to pick up a bunch of shoe bags I ordered (I got the bags for the individual shoes instead of the pair). While I was in the store, I saw that a someone had ordered in a 16 AAA shoe to try on. Holy cow, that was a big shoe.

Also, scanning Poshmark... Are these shell? They look like shell in the pictures. The seller is probably inactive though.
I actually vote yes.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this case Alden, but I do have a Carmina being remade as well!
You are saying that the other shoe companies are not perfect? What an outrage! You, you! MUG..
I just learned this new insult courtesy of a fellow SF member.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tupelo is growing on me. Maybe it ain’t just for crappy weather.
D4970A35-BAFA-4C7A-ABAB-E754963F02D1.jpeg

BFT9000

Reaction score
You are saying that the other shoe companies are not perfect? What an outrage! You, you! MUG..
I just learned this new insult courtesy of a fellow SF member.
Whoa now, let's all be gentlemen here, no need to call anyone the m-word...

vdubiv

Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I rarely receive the catalogs. When I do it's typically well after everyone else here seems to get one.
In your case, I do wonder if they send any catalogs out of country...

You don't have to purchase shell just to be "in the club". Some people aren't into shell (or spending even more money than a nice pair of calf), and there's nothing wrong with that. Calf and suede are excellent leathers as well! I think it would be worth it if you ever get a chance to spend some time in person with shell to do so before buying any.
So I do have an FPO address, which is a U.S address, and AE does mail my shoes to me so I don't see why they wouldn't send a catalog, but it's NBD, I surf their site enough at work anyway, and a coupon code would just make me spend more money.

As to your second response, because of the cost of shell, you are right, if I do get a shell pair it will be after I either am super confident in sizing on a particular model, or if I can get to a store once stateside again. For right now though I can't justify the cost of shell, hell my wife already thinks I'm crazy with the prices of non-shell shoes.

vdubiv

Reaction score
Every bit as cool, if you ask me. That model of HM is sure to be a new classic.

Usually I get them, other times I don't. Only sometimes do they include a coupon code. Don't despair, the codes are only effective on full price items, so you aren't missing out on a once in a lifetime deal.

Shell is cool, but not everyone likes it. Though to your point about price, with the quantity you acquired, you could have easily bought a full price shell boot during the trunk show.

Nice pull from the archives!
I've been lurking this board for a little while, finally decided to join around TS19.2 time frame, I debated ordering a pair, however, phone calls back stateside from here either need to be accomplished from work, or I would need someone in the store to use WhatsApp. So this, plus not being confident in sizing kept me from participating in the TS. (didn't want to wast money on non-returnable shoes of this price range)

vdubiv

Reaction score
Just got a shipping notification for (what I believe are) my chili Strands. Should be here by next Tuesday!

Edit: or maybe not... taking a closer look it seems like the package is from the e-returns department. I returned a pair of "brown nubuck Strandmoks" because they literally sent me a Mackey belt instead of the shoe I wanted. Maybe instead of processing a refund they're sending me the Strandmoks?

I guess we'll find out...
Wearing my Brown Nubuck Strandmok's today and absolutely love them!

vdubiv

Reaction score
anyone have any recommendation for thicker socks?
Seen a post in one of the other threads on here, the guy recommended Darn Tough Socks. He said he has them in different cushioning, and depending how tight or loose the shoe fits, wearing different cushioning of socks can make the shoe fit more perfectly.

vdubiv

Reaction score
I would remove the burnishing even if you are going to blend in with a Cordavan Creme. The scrapped off area is too abrupt to blend as is. I would use the least harsh cleaner that I have. Renovateur may be the ticket to pull enough burnishing off to give you a better chance at blending the area back to an acceptable level.
I'm new to the polishing game, but I second this. My Calf Daltons got a scrap similar to this riding my motorcycle to work, just in the burnishing not into the leather. I used some brown cream to blend it in, which it did, but I can still notice the mark, just less so. Someone from a few feet away wouldn't notice, but someone who really likes your shoes and looks at them more than a glance will.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had FedEx pickup my bourbon shell Strands yesterday. I normally would just go drop them off, but the FedEx down the street from my home will refuse any prepackaged box. You'll get a speech about how it's "improperly packaged" and "too much wiggle room inside the box." They then ask for an additional $9.00 to mail the AE shoes. I called them out on this bullshit in the past and they wouldn't budge. I learned recently that these stores struggle to make a profit, but scamming customers is not the right way to do this. Has anyone else had their local FedEx do this? I sent an email to FedEx and I DID receive a response. They claimed it went to the district manager, but who knows if it actually did.

Joe Schmoe

Reaction score
I had FedEx pickup my bourbon shell Strands yesterday. I normally would just go drop them off, but the FedEx down the street from my home will refuse any prepackaged box. You'll get a speech about how it's "improperly packaged" and "too much wiggle room inside the box." They then ask for an additional $9.00 to mail the AE shoes. I called them out on this bullshit in the past and they wouldn't budge. I learned recently that these stores struggle to make a profit, but scamming customers is not the right way to do this. Has anyone else had their local FedEx do this? I sent an email to FedEx and I DID receive a response. They claimed it went to the district manager, but who knows if it actually did.
Yes, of the two mom and pop shipping places near me, one has appalling customer service. The clerks are rude and they charge $2 to drop off a pre-paid, pre-packaged shipment. They aren't supposed to do this, but they do it anyway. As soon as I discovered that I just turned on my heel and left and drove to a different shipping place to drop off my package. I did go back to them earlier this year to get fingerprinted because they have a livescan machine, are close to me, and charged the same prices that everyone else was charging. (California lawyers all had to get re-fingerprinted this year -- I guess too many of us are robbing liquor stores in our spare time.) I think I paid $40. Last week my wife went in to have hers done and they charged her $70. Now I'll never return. The other place nearest to me has excellent service, so I use them for everything.

I am endlessly patient with small businesses, especially those trying to eke out a not-very-lucrative living. I'm the kind of guy who leaves really big tips, not because I want to be a big shot but because it's a kindness and a way to do something nice for a person who works. But this doesn't extend to getting scammed, if someone tries to pick my pocket I'm never doing business with them again.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone have any recommendation for thicker socks?
If design isn't a criteria (colorful and or unique) I'm going to say Thorlo makes some nice thicker socks, but they come in such vibrant colors like........black, and tan and exciting colors like that.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40