• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an in person interview after work with a promising career opportunity. Black Sullies get the call as they mean business.

View attachment 1279187
Go get it!
👍

So after a decent wait, the bourbon strands have arrived. The color is remarkable and doesn’t disappoint. However, the stitching on the inside quarter panel on the right shoe is gnarly. I can snip the long threads and fuse them with a lighter, but the area is really rough looking. Should I raise the issue with AE or just move on? I know these were trunk show orders and therefore not able to be returned, but this stitching doesn’t seem like first quality in my eyes.

any thoughts, @ae_ashley?

View attachment 1279272View attachment 1279275
I’m not bothered by the stitches, but is the medallion on the left shoe a little bit cockeyed?

kellte2

Reaction score
I’m not bothered by the stitches, but is the medallion on the left shoe a little bit cockeyed?
If it is, it doesn't bother me. Lots of these idiosyncrasies can be chalked up to the hand-made nature of the shoes, but I guess that I'm particular when it comes to stitching. That said, I don't see any other construction issues, the fit is perfect, and man, the bourbon shell is just spectacular. It is darker than expected, but exactly what I wanted.

ae_ashley

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If it is, it doesn't bother me. Lots of these idiosyncrasies can be chalked up to the hand-made nature of the shoes, but I guess that I'm particular when it comes to stitching. That said, I don't see any other construction issues, the fit is perfect, and man, the bourbon shell is just spectacular. It is darker than expected, but exactly what I wanted.
I agree. I'll look into that stray thread and let you know what the plan is. I bet this is an easy fix. Thanks again for tagging me in!

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An AE without a crooked cap is just not right.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An AE without a crooked cap is just not right.
Nah. I have one pair with a very slightly off-center medallion. I have posted it here many times, and nobody ever noticed.

Rithrin

Reaction score
So my Fifth Streets arrived! Bought them from a member here on SF and they fit fine! No heel slippage whatsoever. My only issue is the v gap, but it looks normal for this type of boot no?
My Fifths gap also increases in the middle like that - probably pretty normal.

Working from home today in jeans and Boulders:

View attachment 1279313
Shoes on in the house?? I like it. More time to admire the ol' collection!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang. I can't find RTW flannels that I'm interested in this winter. I want something tan to mid-brown, woollen/carded, flat front, sufficient rise (+11") and not too slim for my runner's legs, and not cost an arm and a leg. Feels like I'm searching for a unicorn. Epaulet comes so close... if only the Taylor fit didn't have pleats.
LL Bean has some different styles of cords that might interest you... They're 98%-99% cotton, however not wool.

If you're after a wool composite, I cannot help on that front.

Happy Wednesday forum pals. Take a break from the drama and do a little shoe maintenance with a favorite adult beverage. Or better yet, cruise the ol' interwebs until you find a new pair that you can't live without.

Oh yeah, Doc!! Those are great every time. Gorgeous color on those. Did you use the flash on your phone?
brown shell strands today
View attachment 1279303
Stunning! One of the best canvases for brown shell.

I also love the reflection of you from the floor :p Were you holding something shiny in your left hand?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly building up the collection (it's already very large) over the past few months and I haven't shared diddly squat yet! :D Also, just bought my first camera (for the wife mainly, early Christmas present) so I've been having fun taking photos of said shoes and finding an excuse to photograph anything....

With that said, here is the most recent addition; non-AE, Grant Stone, so avert thine eyes. I refuse to spoiler Goodyear Welted goodness!! My first (hopefully not last) Grant Stone!

Navy suede Ottawa boot with beautiful toe stitching and insane SPI on the welt. Also, the cleanest welt joint I've ever seen. I look forward to wearing these a lot. I am extremely impressed and the fit is perfect. Removed the original laces and installed AE rounds.

DSC00070.JPG
DSC00071.JPG
DSC00073.JPG
DSC00074.JPG

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE shoes are inconsistent, but that can sometimes work in your favor. My dark brown Bartlett shoes originally had quite ugly edges on them. I finally restored them to an acceptable appearance over the weekend. My walnut pair on the other hand, has some of the most well done edges and heels I've ever received from AE.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot week (wrapped around yesterday’s Florsheim vintage gunboats) continues.

Sunday. MTO Long Branches
Monday. Stock “golden brown” CXL LB’s
Tuesday. Sauk Drives (“russet” Dublin)

Thursday’s child, outdoors (with what I now see is an untied boot) and indoor with both tied.

E8F7FF17-B548-4F3D-84F3-7B0ED0443BCC.jpeg
565CA3B1-AC47-457D-826B-452F026199A9.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE shoes are inconsistent, but that can sometimes work in your favor. My dark brown Bartlett shoes originally had quite ugly edges on them. I finally restored them to an acceptable appearance over the weekend. My walnut pair on the other hand, has some of the most well done edges and heels I've ever received from AE.

View attachment 1279352
View attachment 1279353
Those dark brown Bartletts look amazing with that edging. You really hit it out of the park with that edging.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 136 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 254 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.8%
  • 31 - 40