• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love these pics, that olive sole looks like great fun to play with.

And Bourbon Mills ... think I'd like that olive sole on bourbon too!

I will be appreciating AE's 2019 overall body of work for many years to come.

View attachment 1278513

View attachment 1278514

View attachment 1278515
w Zilli cotton and cashmere cords

Those are beautiful shoes. In the first photo I thought they were shaved shell.

Simply stunning. Bourbon seems to be a bit of a changeling/chameleon and I think those are some of the best examples I have ever seen

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell Bayfield II in full-sun splendor
20191113_104507.jpg

These were a one-off during Bayfield GMTO with flat welt and JR soles. GMTO has split welt and commando sole.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Good evening, Gents--

Remedial question for you.

What product(s) do I need to buy in order to polish my AE Strand in Walnut? I see they offer a Walnut shoe cream polish for $12, though they state it as step #2 of a 4-step polishing process. Are four steps necessary? Am I really going to have to pay close to $50 for polishing products here? How about my Bourbon or Chili AE shoes, or my 2-tone 8221 Sheltons?

My apologies once again for the simpleton questions..

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good evening, Gents--

Remedial question for you.

What product(s) do I need to buy in order to polish my AE Strand in Walnut? I see they offer a Walnut shoe cream polish for $12, though they state it as step #2 of a 4-step polishing process. Are four steps necessary? Am I really going to have to pay close to $50 for polishing products here? How about my Bourbon or Chili AE shoes, or my 2-tone 8221 Sheltons?

My apologies once again for the simpleton questions..

Depends on what you're after.

For basic conditioning/polishing a jar of Saphir Renovateur is as good or better than any AE branded colored polishes, added bonus of it being color neutral and working on literally any type of leather.

If you're looking to cover a scuff then you'll need a colored cream polish that matches/approximates the color of the leather. AE's walnut/chili/bourbon etc. cream polishes handles that very well.

You'll need wax polish if you want to apply a mirror shine after the cream polish, and you'll need edge dressing to touch up the welt and edges if they're getting scuffed.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Average age at TML is late 30s. That's average. And this was at EDC this year. (It was oddly chilly, 40s and 50s hence the excessive clothing)

View attachment 1278536

Alan (in the middle) is a DC area local and widely recognized as that guy on fb and yt raving out to drum n bass at EDC. Grandfather and avid member of the DC clubbing scene too. Total inspiration. As he says, "rave to the grave".

As an on topic portion, boot season means boot review season. Sneak peek at a writeup for another site.

View attachment 1278538
Alan looks a bit like Hugh Heafner, imho.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Thank you, BFT.

So if there are any mild scuffs, I should go with the $12 AE shoe & boot cream? Do I disregards the "4-step" business? Can you point me to a specific edge dressing (which I assume can be used for all shoes)?

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
...and apart from the Saphir Renovateur, can I use any neutral polish? Is there a problem with using the Saphir Renovateur and then an AE colored polish a month or so later on the same shoes?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people just find him really pretentious. I actually think he is just unrealistic, but that is kind of his niche/job. Yes, he will show how to shave while he wears a tux. Sure, his idea of dressing down is using pocket square that has a unique pattern that doesn’t go with his shirt. I can ignore that. My only issue with him—and I’ve told him this online in comments he responded to—is that he only does positive reviews. That is, he will only do a review that is glowing about all the positive traits of a shoe, tie, or item. He won’t say that a product cut corners somewhere, but instead that another product offers superior detailing. He won’t talk about the down sides.
From what I've seen, he does not speak all that well of AE, imho. One video I watched was full of left handed compliments (apologies to all lefties here) while another exclaimed the virtues of a.) using Saphir on an AE shoe, b.) switching out to his own brand laces on a New AE shoe and c.) (in one of the two videos) his own shop redoing the soles on an AE shoe. He gets away with more than someone with less manners and "class" may but he's still using the AE name (see SEO) as bait to his videos and website to then induce viewers into buying his own competing products. Not classy at all, imho.

Last edited:

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, BFT.

So if there are any mild scuffs, I should go with the $12 AE shoe & boot cream? Do I disregards the "4-step" business? Can you point me to a specific edge dressing (which I assume can be used for all shoes)?

Yeah, the AE polish will be more than enough for covering up scuffs and shining the shoe. Not sure what AE's four steps are but it's important to make sure your shoes are well conditioned to preserve the longevity of the leather. Renovateur is probably the best product for that, but AE also makes a decent leather lotion.

Edge dressing comes in different colors. For walnut you'll want brown edge dressing. Depending on the shoe you might need black edge dressing as well. Whatever matches the color of your shoe's edge.

...and apart from the Saphir Renovateur, can I use any neutral polish? Is there a problem with using the Saphir Renovateur and then an AE colored polish a month or so later on the same shoes?

Any neutral polish will work for adding some shine on the shoe regardless of the color. No problem at all with using Reno + other polishes from other brands.

Is there a difference between the AE Carnauba wax polish, the speed polish, and the shoe & boot cream?

Speed polish is a cream polish, used to cover up scuffs and add shine throughout the shoe. The wax polish is the stuff you use to add a mirror shine to the toe caps/heels.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my TS 19.1 1A boots with AE boot socks. I was 5 minutes late to me hotel meeting with nobody. View attachment 1278497
Whoa! fabulous boots

Love these pics, that olive sole looks like great fun to play with.
And Bourbon Mills ... think I'd like that olive sole on bourbon too!

I will be appreciating AE's 2019 overall body of work for many years to come.

View attachment 1278513

View attachment 1278514

View attachment 1278515
w Zilli cotton and cashmere cords
Fantastic Mr Bagley!

Brother suuteebird is quietly putting together a terrific collection. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads